Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2020, 06:32 PM

45 posts, read 38,613 times

Advertisements

I just recently got a sofa, rug, and art. I'm not too happy with how things look. I'm worried that the rug is too big compared to the shorter length of the sofa. The size and darkness of it feels overwhelming. I got got 7'9 by 11'2. It seems like the sofa's shorter length might look weird with the longer length of the rug. Maybe I should have gotten 5'3" by 7'6" or 6'7" by 9'6" or maybe it will look fine once I get a floor lamp and end table?

Also, Everything looks too black/red/white. Too much of a 'clean' and cliche look. I guess maybe the white/black floral pillow is too contemporary looking. Maybe I can change it out with pillows with more color and a turkish design. I'm not sure what else to do. I was going for an eclectic, bohemian look. I'm also not too sure if I got the write colors for the framed art, and if the black frames are too dark considering the already dark rug and if the colored red art along with the black and white art is what is making everything unbalanced?

Here it is. Note I still need to add legs to the sofa once I get a drill and the art is not hung up yet.

https://imgur.com/a/vU5tlZo
https://imgur.com/3vIL7PZ

I was going for something like this picture below. But I feel like mine ends up looking cliche and unbalanced.
https://imgur.com/a/hybmR9y

Any advice or suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by zenspirit; 12-26-2020 at 06:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2020, 05:52 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,603,624 times
Is there enough room to turn the rug in the other direction, so it goes under the sofa and the furniture on the other side of the room? That will make it more even with the width of the sofa. The coffee table seems a little small compared to the rest of the room & furnishings.

I agree that the black & white floral pillow doesn't work, that needs to go. Try an image search for "red and beige sofa pillow" and you'll get some better ideas.

Old 12-27-2020, 06:06 AM

30,527 posts, read 16,222,191 times
If it were me, I'd leave the black and white rug as is but add a smaller one in a bright color/busy pattern perpendicular over the top. Have it go the full width of the sofa.

3 more prints the same size but different size from the ones you've got. I'd go with vertical and alternate them wall to wall. Or maybe get something round for the middle of the wall.

Admittedly can't really see the prints but just judging from the photo, they're not too impressive. And just because they're the same size doesn't mean they go together.

Old 12-27-2020, 06:40 AM

9,459 posts, read 5,221,264 times
First thing I noticed is your 'sample room' is Carrie from Homeland, right?

Caveat to my thoughts is - I am not a designer

I like the rug but as you said, it may be too large for the space (how big is the space?) and too dark a color for what you're going for. Is the sofa gray? If so, those are two good pieces to start with. Get the legs on the sofa so you can 'see' it better.

Were you trying to go for a red/gray (white))/black scheme?

I don't think the round 'coffee table' coordinates very well with the rug and sofa - and it looks a bit lonely out there by itself - but perhaps you can still use that as a side table to the sofa - where the printer is. I would use a rectangular coffee table myself. I would also add a big plant somewhere.

I agree that the pillows on the sofa don't coordinate all that well, although I like the black and white one as an individual item.

Perhaps you can replace the pillows in a color with more 'pop' and pick up the 'pop' color in the artwork (if you can replace the artwork or exchange it) and other small pieces areound the room. I think the two pieces of art should be more similar in color.....either both in that red shade, if that is what you like, or both in black and white.... and you might even need more than 2 pieces. Or, you can go another way and have multiple pieces that coordinate together even if they are in different colors (use the same frames?)

There's not enough 'boho,' IMO. Boho to me means a little hippy'ish, with eclectic pieces, and more color. Moroccan, IMO, is a different style. Maybe someone else can set me straight on this. I love both styles, though....to me, they are very pleasing to the eye if not overdone.

I think you have good basics, though, and this was fun to kind of 'help design' Please let us know how things progress....

Old 12-27-2020, 06:49 AM

9,459 posts, read 5,221,264 times
https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...RST&ajaxhist=0

Check this out... I just Googled "boho living room." See how much color they use? I personally would not paint the walls such a bright color (I like beige) but I do like all the pieces.

Scale is important.

Old 12-27-2020, 07:11 AM

3,070 posts, read 2,401,124 times
You might start with more artwork, some house plants and some curtains. It needs some more color, too. Don't worry about things going together perfectly or getting it all done at once.

Old 12-27-2020, 07:16 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,433,756 times
I can't see the OP's pictures, but Riley's pictures show a boho-type living room, I think. A true boho living room uses furniture and accessories that are sourced from a number of disparate, hippy-casual-chic sources that are pulled together to form a cohesive "look" and have various bright colors that coordinate well, IMHO.

Old 12-27-2020, 07:58 AM

43,106 posts, read 18,269,535 times
I think the rug is too big for that room. 1/2 that size would look better.
You can make some colorful covers for those throw pillows from sheets/pillowcases.
Then a colorful throw blanket tossed over the couch.

Then some floor plants, table plants. Go fake if you don't want live plants.

With the exception of the rug, your other pieces are a good start to your boho vision.

Old 12-27-2020, 08:24 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Inspiration...

https://poshpennies.com/boho-decor-tips/

Old 12-27-2020, 08:27 AM

3,375 posts, read 1,969,584 times
I think you need to add color and you can easily do that with accessories. To my eye the rug is overwhelming but I don't think it's because of the size - I think it's the darkness. Boho has a carefree, happy vibe and I'm not getting that from your photos. If you lighten things up a bit I think you'll be happier. Thx for the photos - it really helps when posters put them up instead of describing the rooms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating