Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2021, 12:24 PM

3,375 posts, read 1,969,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillygirl123 View Post
Your bedroom sounds really nice !! I like the idea but I’ve always been scared of white with my cats. I found a steal on pottery barn duvets today and ordered a light gray one. Will see how it looks and if not good can always return and try white. I can do white drapes and, pillows, throw on bed etc. have attached the photo I saw on pottery barn site and they also used the light gray cover with dark wood bed.
That bed looks dreamy The grey is a very light soft color. Hope it works! Others might disagree but I think the bedroom is the most important room in the house for setting my mood for the day (and night.) If my bedroom is peaceful, then I feel peaceful as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2021, 11:12 PM

670 posts, read 480,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
I also think that is a lovely window and a shame to put it behind the brown drapes.
Several random ideas.

Can you rearrange the room? That tall boy in the corner with the TV might look better elsewhere. It seems like the furniture it too big for the room and the nightstand and lamp are a bit small.

I've used opaquing on a window on the door to our garage. Still lets in light but can't see through it and it looks nice. It's removable, too. That would let you keep the architectural detail prominent. It comes in a lot of different shades, some with designs, etc. Then you could keep the honeycomb shade (or replace it with a lighter colored one) up to the level of the arch for filtered light or replace the shade with some narrow lighter colored horizontal blinds. Or you could opague the entire window!

I think the dark color and heaviness of the furniture weighs the room down and doesn't say 'light and airy.' It would probably look fine in a much larger room. The night stand and lamp look small and out of proportion to it. But I do think it would be worth it if you want to keep it to eventually paint it white. You could try changing out the headboard, but caution that it might look odd with the rest of the pieces. I would actually put the TV on the big dresser and stow the other things and put a plant or two in the room.
For the rest of it, I would use white and linen colored fabrics and pillows (same hue as the wall color) maybe with a subtle pattern on the pillows. Fluffy....so it looks luxuriously comfy.
Agree that a larger picture above the bed would be a better proportion, and if it had subtle neutral colors but some pops of a color you love, that would brighten up a neutral room. But you could use the one you have elsewhere.

I'd love to see what you do with the room. It has good bones. Just some changing up and I think you will be happy with it!
Thanks for the ideas ! Any idea on how to rearrange the room ? I pushed the tall drawers against wall so it’s not cornered. Room looks bigger but not sure I like the layout right next to other dresser.

I ordered window film for top of window ! Never thought of this so hopefully works out and then can take down these heavy drapes.

Old 10-12-2021, 03:45 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,253,620 times
Quote:
Thanks for the ideas ! Any idea on how to rearrange the room ? I pushed the tall drawers against wall so it’s not cornered. Room looks bigger but not sure I like the layout right next to other dresser.

I ordered window film for top of window ! Never thought of this so hopefully works out and then can take down these heavy drapes.
Will the tall boy fit next to the window once you remove the drapes?

Old 10-12-2021, 08:05 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I don’t see anything wrong with your furniture. It’s prominence could be lessened with color and pattern in other things. You say you are keeping the rug, but we can’t see the rug, and I suspect it’s as drab as everything else.

My overall impression is too much brown and tan, the drapes are oppressive, and the puny lamp needs to go.

Is a different wall color an option?

As for the window, I would hang a woven wood shade, with blackout liner, above the arched window, and flank it with some soft airy linen curtains.

Old 10-12-2021, 11:10 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Brighter larger wall art
Brighter bold colored drapes that should only be closed if necessary
Brighter bolder bedspread with accessorizing pillows

Old 10-12-2021, 11:16 AM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
Change bed partners.

Old 10-12-2021, 11:18 AM

48,532 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Change bed partners.
And here I thought you were going to advise stuffed animals. /rofl
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-12-2021, 01:14 PM

670 posts, read 480,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Change bed partners.
LOL my current bed partner is my cat so you’re right I do need a change in bed partner !!

Old 10-12-2021, 05:11 PM

9,459 posts, read 5,221,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Definitely consider mini-blinds, perhaps an inside mount if there's nice trim to show off around the window. Especially during the daytime the blinds could be tilted to let in a lot of light while still giving you privacy (by tilting the blinds downward.) Some more expensive blinds let in even more light like these sheer shades:
https://www.selectblinds.com/sheer-s...ng-sheers.html
or these zebra shades:
http://https://www.selectblinds.com/...oaAtCOEALw_wcB
she might even be able to find a 'fan' honeycomb type blind to cover the arch window.

Old 10-12-2021, 05:20 PM

9,459 posts, read 5,221,264 times
Quote:

I can't really see the whole room but.....is there a wall opposite the window? so you could face the bed toward the window? Then, if you have the space, you could move one of the big pieces to the space where the bed was (probably the larger dresser) and then the tall dresser could stay on the wall where it is now, just moved more to the center.
Or, move the bed to the wall where the dressers are and put the pieces on the opposite all. Maybe kitty korner the tall dresser.

Or you could just move stuff around and see what you like.

Edit: I think you'll like the window opaqueing. At least you will still get light from the arch window. Or, if you do the whole window, it will be like a frosted door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating