Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2021, 11:00 AM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue777 View Post
I already have wood in the living room as well as every other single room in the house. But now I'm just trying to figure out if I should put tile in the kitchen or should I just go ahead and put the hardwood in there? As of right now, there is really cheap vinyl in the kitchen that has to come up . I really don't know what to do at this point and I need some suggestions. Thank you
That is COMPLETELY up to you. I have wood, carpet, tile and LV in my home. Tile in bathrooms, carpet in bedrooms, wood in living/hall/dining and LVP in the kitchen. I am very happy with it. Did not want wood in the kitchen as I have a thing about leaving ice cubes on the floor (not seeing them in the morning when I would leave for work) and I don't want water puddles left on wood. Also I just don't like the look of wood in my kitchen. Love the look of tile, but didn't want to deal with the breakage issue or the cold/hardness issue. Putting a good quality LVP in my kitchen was perfect for me. You need to consider your own needs and preferences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2021, 01:29 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,581,461 times
Quote:
I already have wood in the living room as well as every other single room in the house. But now I'm just trying to figure out if I should put tile in the kitchen or should I just go ahead and put the hardwood in there? As of right now, there is really cheap vinyl in the kitchen that has to come up . I really don't know what to do at this point and I need some suggestions. Thank you

What type of wood in the living room? I would do wood to match so it’s consistent flooring. It looks much better IMO…especially if you have a newer type of engineered wood that is super versatile & easy maintenance. It can look so pretty & clean.

Old 11-16-2021, 02:12 PM

3,375 posts, read 1,969,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Ceramic tile, or true linoleum. When (not "if") there's a big water leak or major spill, you'll be glad to have waterproof flooring in the kitchen.
The water connector to the refrigerator seems to be a major culprit even when the refrigerator is moved fairly frequently to clean behind it. We've had the "unwelcome home" to find that darn connector somehow failed us and the age of the house/plumbing wasn't a factor.

Old 11-17-2021, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Ceramic tile, or true linoleum. When (not "if") there's a big water leak or major spill, you'll be glad to have waterproof flooring in the kitchen.

I don’t know what type of wood flooring the O.P. has….BUT the newer engineered hardwoods are waterproof & super easy to use in a kitchen for reasons like this.^^ Anything cleans up easily with no worry about kitchen spills staining, ice cubes, water leaks or ugly grout darkening.

edit:

Quote:
Open floor plan. Should I put wood or tile in the kitchen?

Especially since you have an open floor plan, I would do the wood flooring to match so it’s not choppy or broken up between 2 rooms open to each other.

Last edited by TashaPosh; 11-17-2021 at 09:03 PM..

Old 11-18-2021, 05:44 AM

417 posts, read 455,717 times
While I love the look of one flooring throughout and certainly think wood is nicer , I would still go with tile in the kitchen. And yes to the suggestion of making sure you buy extras for down the road.
I have had tile in the kitchen in my last home and this one, and I never noticed it hard with standing or whatever. The only downside is if/when you drop something it will absolutely shatter.
The ease of cleaning tile and the inevitability of water damage to wood has me in the tile vote.

Old 11-18-2021, 08:31 AM

10,897 posts, read 7,393,957 times
You can get tile with a wood grain pattern. You probably can't match the existing wood, but you could complement it.

Tile is hard on my legs, so I'd rather have vinyl. We've got vinyl planks, but when the fridge connector leaked, it soaked straight into the subfloor, and did some real damage. I'd choose sheet vinyl or linoleum.

Old 11-18-2021, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
I don’t know what type of wood flooring the O.P. has….BUT the newer engineered hardwoods are waterproof & super easy to use in a kitchen for reasons like this.^^ Anything cleans up easily with no worry about kitchen spills staining, ice cubes, water leaks or ugly grout darkening.
Water puddled on a wood floor, and LEFT, for hours, does NOT "clean up easily". Read your warranty.

Old 11-18-2021, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Water puddled on a wood floor, and LEFT, for hours, does NOT "clean up easily". Read your warranty.

I’m talking about the new engineered wood that is waterproof…it cleans up beautifully. No water is absorbed so it doesn’t matter if the water sits there…it’s different than the traditional hardwoods ofc. As a matter of fact, it cleans up way better than spills or water on tile grout. It’s beautiful. We are looking at a home in OC that has that type of wood flooring throughout the 1st main floor with an open kitchen & living area.

Old 11-18-2021, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
I’m talking about the new engineered wood that is waterproof…it cleans up beautifully. No water is absorbed so it doesn’t matter if the water sits there…it’s different than the traditional hardwoods ofc. As a matter of fact, it cleans up way better than spills or water on tile grout. It’s beautiful. We are looking at a home in OC that has that type of wood flooring throughout the 1st main floor with an open kitchen & living area.
You might be surprised at what you think is wood. Just do your research.

https://www.flooringstores.com/blog/...wood-flooring/

Old 11-18-2021, 06:34 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,130,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger84Ag View Post
I had wood in the kitchen before and would never do it again. I would only put tile in the kitchen.
Agreed, wood is very high maintenance especially if you have dogs and live in a wet, muddy climate. Next kitchen, no matter the climate, it’s tile only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating