Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2023, 04:58 PM

71 posts, read 44,834 times

Advertisements

We just had 3 main rooms painted. Everything from this wall came down and I'm culling a LOT of it. So now I don't know what to do with it. First pic is the before. I hate it. Too much junk. Hate the clock. Second pic is the after. I want minimal without stark. The furniture has to stay. The chair is ugly and not my style, so I'll probably cover it. I'm thinking the size of it vs the table is in question, but if I match the table size it's all a midget on the wall and if I match the table size with a chair of equal value, you can't walk through the area. We prefer the tv where it is. It's out of earshot and light-shot of our bedroom which is right there! So I need some minimal accessory ideas for this wall. I do have two large pictures that were there in the before picture, but not sure if both would look good or just one. I like nature, fall color, cottagey country style.
Attached Thumbnails
This wall...-img_2605.jpg   This wall...-img_2691.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2023, 06:09 PM

7,246 posts, read 7,079,089 times
The table is too high for the chair. The lamp is too small for the table.

A pair of chairs and shorter table would balance the space. Then think about what goes on the wall.

Old 06-25-2023, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
The table is too high for the chair. The lamp is too small for the table.

A pair of chairs and shorter table would balance the space. Then think about what goes on the wall.
Yes, for sure. New furniture isn't in the cards. I have a destructive cat with 9 lives, so I have to keep what I have. I have been hunting for a lamp, but after store #4 they're all too light and short; however,

- I have a taller lamp, but its base is iron scroll and seems busy to me - maybe because of too much stuff in pic #1.
- I have the recliner chair that is larger, but has to butt up against the wall (also in the first picture.)
- I have the matching smaller chair in another room that I "could" bring out balance the space, but then that area is really crowded.

I know furniture first, lamps second, walls third, but the money isn't there. So I just need wall ideas.

Old 06-25-2023, 06:58 PM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
One picture. The before wall is way too crowded. You said you want minimal look

Old 06-25-2023, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
One picture. The before wall is way too crowded. You said you want minimal look
I know. It’s the before of what I don’t want.

Old 06-26-2023, 06:20 AM

50,376 posts, read 63,993,273 times
First off, thank you for posting this. We used to get a lot of this kind of post a lot, and it’s so much fun to see everyone’s solutions.

If you can get hold of the book, “Use What You Have” decorating. It was really helpful for me.
https://bookoutlet.com/products/9780...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Basically, we should view each wall as a separate view, which is visually balanced, then do the same with each of the other walls.

There is a thing called horror vacui, meaning fear of empty spaces. There doesn’t need to be something on every blank space. Less is more.

I agree totally with kab0906 about the table and lamp. A pair of chairs and a small table between would be perfect. If you can’t buy another chair now, go scout your local consignment shops for a lower small table.

I can see a group of 3 of the same size, identically framed, art on that wall. Don’t put up anything unless you love it and it brings you joy when you look at it.
I’d rather you put nothing on that wall than a hodgepodge of random things. It is not a focal wall.

Last edited by gentlearts; 06-26-2023 at 06:48 AM..

Old 06-26-2023, 07:19 AM

9,461 posts, read 5,225,471 times
The 'after' chair is a smaller profile so that works, but I agree that the table is too tall for the chair and the lamp is not proportional to the table. I think a smaller, round table would be better, especially if it will just hold the lamp and maybe a beverage.

I also agree with perhaps just two pictures on that wall or one large one that doesn't look lonely by itself there.

There used to be a home show on TV where the designers would 'shop your house.' They'd take things from other rooms and repurpose elsewhere. I think that's a good idea. You can play with that looks good to you in that space. I've had the 'aha' moment where I've thought, geez, this looks way better here than it did where I had it!!

Another idea for something for the wall, which I've done here. (but I bought them) are these carved wooden medallions (I call them). I have them in white...they are rustic but add interest and don't compete with other decor, IMO. I have a huge one in my small living room (round), a rectangular one in my bedroom (above my dresser) and a small one in the bathroom. I don't have a lot of wall space and I don't like 'cluttery' walls.

https://www.wayfair.com/decor-pillow...003238309.html

I got one from Wayfair - similar to above - and the others at Home Goods.

Old 06-26-2023, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
First off, thank you for posting this. We used to get a lot of this kind of post a lot, and it’s so much fun to see everyone’s solutions.

If you can get hold of the book, “Use What You Have” decorating. It was really helpful for me.
https://bookoutlet.com/products/9780...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Basically, we should view each wall as a separate view, which is visually balanced, then do the same with each of the other walls.

There is a thing called horror vacui, meaning fear of empty spaces. There doesn’t need to be something on every blank space. Less is more.

I agree totally with kab0906 about the table and lamp. A pair of chairs and a small table between would be perfect. If you can’t buy another chair now, go scout your local consignment shops for a lower small table.

I can see a group of 3 of the same size, identically framed, art on that wall. Don’t put up anything unless you love it and it brings you joy when you look at it.
I’d rather you put nothing on that wall than a hodgepodge of random things. It is not a focal wall.
I have this awesome book that is helping me. It is similar. After removing all the crap from the walls, it feels much better. I've discarded everything I don't want. Absolutely, less is more and I don't want every wall filled!

I do have a smaller table that I can try there and add the chair's twin. I do fear, LOL, however, that this room will be furniture heavy by doing this. My other room is one wall of bookshelves, a puzzle table, the other matching chair and the ugly recliner you see in pic one, so there is a fear of an empty room more than empty walls. But for sure I will try this. It may surprise me! I'd almost rather have no furniture on this wall than adding more. What would you think about that? Or a low set of bookshelves, but really I don't want furniture I don't need either - you know, like this table on that wall. LOL. I love that last line - and you're right!!! It is NOT the focal wall. Thank you. I'll give it a whirl.

Old 06-26-2023, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
The 'after' chair is a smaller profile so that works, but I agree that the table is too tall for the chair and the lamp is not proportional to the table. I think a smaller, round table would be better, especially if it will just hold the lamp and maybe a beverage.

I also agree with perhaps just two pictures on that wall or one large one that doesn't look lonely by itself there.

There used to be a home show on TV where the designers would 'shop your house.' They'd take things from other rooms and repurpose elsewhere. I think that's a good idea. You can play with that looks good to you in that space. I've had the 'aha' moment where I've thought, geez, this looks way better here than it did where I had it!!

Another idea for something for the wall, which I've done here. (but I bought them) are these carved wooden medallions (I call them). I have them in white...they are rustic but add interest and don't compete with other decor, IMO. I have a huge one in my small living room (round), a rectangular one in my bedroom (above my dresser) and a small one in the bathroom. I don't have a lot of wall space and I don't like 'cluttery' walls.

https://www.wayfair.com/decor-pillow...003238309.html

I got one from Wayfair - similar to above - and the others at Home Goods.
I am definitely shopping my house. Money isn't there right now and with a destructive cat, well... Most of my wall decor are pictures without any other type of accessory and it's getting boring. I will check this. Thanks! That table change just may make a huge difference! I think the height of that table is throwing off having just maybe two items on that wall.

Last edited by Kingdomgirl; 06-26-2023 at 08:35 AM.. Reason: add a line

Old 06-26-2023, 09:30 AM

50,376 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingdomgirl View Post
I have this awesome book that is helping me. It is similar. After removing all the crap from the walls, it feels much better. I've discarded everything I don't want. Absolutely, less is more and I don't want every wall filled!

I do have a smaller table that I can try there and add the chair's twin. I do fear, LOL, however, that this room will be furniture heavy by doing this. My other room is one wall of bookshelves, a puzzle table, the other matching chair and the ugly recliner you see in pic one, so there is a fear of an empty room more than empty walls. But for sure I will try this. It may surprise me! I'd almost rather have no furniture on this wall than adding more. What would you think about that? Or a low set of bookshelves, but really I don't want furniture I don't need either - you know, like this table on that wall. LOL. I love that last line - and you're right!!! It is NOT the focal wall. Thank you. I'll give it a whirl.
I agree, if you had no furniture on that wall it would feel good. Your traffic pattern would feel nice and open. The thing is, what do you need in the room for it to function for your family? If you don’t need the chair there, take it out, and that solves your problem of the table.

Do you NEED more light in the room? I know you have a small budget right now, but a couple of sconces on that wall would provide light, not clutter the floor, and provide some visual interest. It would require someone who knows basic wiring, run from your existing outlet, and might mess up your new paint a little. Otherwise, you might find a very narrow table that you could put a lamp or a pair of lamps. Thrift shops are your friend.

Just for example, I have a very narrow foyer, so I needed a console table. I found one for $100. (Used money from a garage sale) and the lamp on it cost $29. from a consignment shop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating