Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2024, 02:08 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times

Advertisements

The master bedrooms in my last 2 houses really only offered two options for bed placement due to closet, window and door locations. Both also already had one wall wired for a pair of bedside lights/wall sconces so I took advantage of that. Of course, this would be easy enough to change if you hate it. I happen to like visual balance and symmetry, so I tend to center the biggest piece of furniture on a corresponding wall. I also don't like squeezing along one side of a bed while making it. I prefer to leave ample room on both sides.

One problem putting a bed in the center of the room might be you could end up needing to run an electrical cord across the floor to power a bedside lamp/clock/phone charger. Nice trip hazard in the dark! Of course you could always have a floor outlet installed or cover the cord with a weighted cord protector. IMHO those look fine in an office but the last thing I want my bedroom to give the impression of is a worksite!

Last edited by Parnassia; 01-02-2024 at 03:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2024, 02:13 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,969,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
........One problem putting a bed in the center of the room might be you could end up needing to run an electric cord across the floor to power a bedside lamp/clock/charge a phone. Nice trip hazard in the dark!
Good points!

As is, the phone is charged in the bathroom alley behind the bedroom, the clocks are on the far side of the room by the TV, and the bedside lamp......

......well, that has always been a problem. I have been reading by the overhead light/fan but have toyed with the notion, forever, of putting a floor lamp, have a few of those inherited, by the bed.......

..............and you go off and say a reason of why not to do it! (it's okay)

Old 01-02-2024, 02:18 PM

17,473 posts, read 66,010,995 times
In the middle of the room of course!!!
Why worry about morning light? Or any light- a turn will do!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFA3xlefdvc

Old 01-02-2024, 02:36 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,969,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
In the middle of the room of course!!!
Why worry about morning light? Or any light- a turn will do!
While I often say my place is built like Matt Helm's place in "The Silencers"

Tina: [after Matt has opened his gun cabinet and flipped it around to reveal even more weapons] Who designed this house? Smith and Wesson? (from imdb)

it's not totally like that! (ie, put "Beverly Adams in "The Silencers"" in the youtube search engine)

Old 01-02-2024, 03:43 PM

27,182 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
That's called a "floating bed." Nice term. It's mostly used in small places when placing another piece of furniture behind the headboard creates another room, so to speak, perhaps a chest of drawers or using a large tall headboard as a backing for a dining arrangement. But there's no reason at all one can't use a floating bed arrangement anywhere.
I agree and have never understood the arrange to the walls concept as the end all option....depending upon the bed/room size of course.

Old 01-02-2024, 03:51 PM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Default Where?

Under the mirror on the ceiling?

Old 01-02-2024, 06:01 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,099,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Under the mirror on the ceiling?
What no trapeze?

Old 01-02-2024, 06:14 PM

1,126 posts, read 607,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
I follow the feng shui

What is the best direction for the bed to face?
Arrange your bed using the principle of the commanding position. What that means: you want your bed located so that when you’re lying in bed, you can see the door to the bedroom without being directly in line with it.

Also, sleeping along on the north/south axis - head south, feet north
So strange, I've instinctively done this in all the places I've lived... well the seeing the door thingy when laying down.

Here I've done exactly what you stated... head south, feet north and I can see my door but not aligned with it.

Strange... and I've never read anything about feng shui.

Old 01-02-2024, 06:25 PM

9,115 posts, read 6,160,628 times
Bed against a wall.

Feet towards door.

Old 01-02-2024, 06:54 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 3 days ago)

35,613 posts, read 17,935,039 times
Interesting. I've never thought of putting a bed in the middle of the room, and when I googled it, all the pictures were of impossibly impractical set ups. The pictures had nothing you need in a bedroom - a dresser, a night stand with a lamp and electrical chord, etc.

The concept is interesting, but similar to tiny houses, it seems impractical, or anyway the pictures look much nicer than the reality of living in that situation would be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating