Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 02:22 PM

72 posts, read 333,136 times

Advertisements

I would like to buy a set of decent quality poly-vinyl blinds for my 31" x 60" window. Has anyone used Lowes or Home Depot for this? I am talking about the ones you have cut to size and install on your own. I think they were around $50-$60 for my window.

I am also interested in poly-vinyl shutters for my 8' x 5' window. I am getting quotes for this from Budget Blinds and probably from LouverShop.com. Does anyone have any feedback from either of these companies? I live in Pittsburgh and am open to other suggestions as well.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 02:54 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
My wife and I are thinking about this as well. I have seen them installed in a friend's house and they look great. You would never guess that they didn't spend a fortune on plantation shutters.

Old 08-14-2008, 03:07 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,795,207 times
I only know about the ones they sell at Lowes. The Levolor (the ones they cut the width on) would be the ones I would purchase over thier Basic Blind ones. The basic blinds 2" plantation blinds use to have only a 90 day warranty and they yellowed easily. They were suppose to change the formulation when the blind was manufactured but I dont know if they did or not. I cant remember what Levolors is. Another thing too is if you have to special order a size they dont have, its easier and quicker to get them from Levolor. Plus they are easier to shorten because of the no holes option. You even have extra slats in case one was to get broken.
If you go with another company (like budget blinds etc) make sure you get information on what type of warranty comes with the blinds. The warranty is a huge issue for me. I hate seeing alot of money spent on blinds and have a bad warranty. They are an investment anymore.

Old 08-14-2008, 03:14 PM

1,921 posts, read 4,773,287 times
I have the ones they cut in Home Depot, they look really nice so far after a couple months, plus you can't beat the price.

Old 08-14-2008, 03:19 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,708,001 times
I have the faux blinds from Home Depot and have had them for 5 years, worked out fine. I am glad they are faux because my kiddo "accidently" broke one in her room (cracked off about 5 inches from one of the slats) and it was no big deal. We have a bunch of windows so it total cost us about $400-500 and had we used "real" ones it would have been much more.

Old 08-14-2008, 03:31 PM

72 posts, read 333,136 times
Great feedback, folks. Thank you. The blinds will be going in a shady window (it looks out onto a shaded porch and it's mostly for privacy) so I am not too concerned about yellowing. I will ask about the warranty from the other companies, however.

Old 08-15-2008, 04:51 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
I have them as well and if you look very carefully they you can tell they aren't wood however just walking into a room, no one is going to notice. They are great for bedrooms, bathrooms, etc. Another place to look is JC Penney ONLINE. They often have great sales and they custom make your size. They cost more but with the sales they have they are not much more. They have real Basswood blinds for about $20 more then the Home Depot ones so if you are using them in a living room or a more 'public' room and want to go with something nicer it is a good option.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:13 AM

1,016 posts, read 4,540,967 times
I have these as well, I can't remember if I bought them at Home Depot or Lowes, but I've had them for almost a year and they still look great. Our house was new construction so we needed to put blindes in the entire house, and it saved us a TON of money doing it this way versus having a company install them.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:46 AM

22,319 posts, read 29,400,492 times
I have the HD wood blinds on my first floor and Levolor Ceullular blinds upstairs. The wood ones were cheap and easy to install (However, my were installed all together-upper and lower)

Old 08-15-2008, 09:10 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,543,351 times
Interior "plantation shutters" (poly-wood) in this house from Lowes. At old house they were from HD ...

look fantastic (we chose white)..

and I believe they had a lot to do with our old house selling as it really gave a professional look to the windows (we had drapes over the shutters).

We have them as DOG SHUTTERS -- to keep our dog from looking out front all day and going crazy!

Lowes/HD have very competitive prices, you'll just have to measure yourself. My husband has installed all of ours and it goes pretty smoothly.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating