Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 09:50 PM

32,937 posts, read 36,359,395 times

Advertisements

I don't have it, I haven't worked on it but I think that it's really nice looking. If I were buying a high end countertop, I'd seriously look in to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 01:19 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,932,143 times
Default My Silestone

I've attached a picture of our countertops for those looking at options. This is Silestone and for us the color worked well with our cabinets. We like dark counters and it's been 2 years with these and there are no scratches to be found. (In addition, we don't find these hard to keep clean, either. We give them an occasional wipedown and that is it. VERY low maintenance.)
Attached Thumbnails
Countertop- Opinions?-raleigh-house-069.jpg  

Old 02-01-2009, 03:11 PM

2,222 posts, read 10,649,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleNC View Post
I was wondering what may replace stainless in the future as far as the next "trend." Although it's suppose to be timeless. What other appliance finishing's have people heard are in next?

As far as counter tops, hearing the other day that granite contains radon no matter how little I wouldn't want to risk it. Also the fact that Corian scratches and apparently cracks, we'll probably be going with Silestone.
Here is an article about radon and granite.
Is Radon Lurking in the Kitchen?

Here is an article about kitchen countertop trends.
Kitchen-exchange: Kitchen Countertop Trend Report

Consumer Reports rated laminates the best.
ConsumerReports.org - Countertops: Ratings, Types

My neighbor just remodeled their kitchen. The product they used for their countertops is an engineered quartz, and it is beautiful. We currently have laminate in our house, but I would also consider the quartz.

Old 02-03-2009, 02:43 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times

I LOVE this stuff. If money were no object, this is what I would go with to replace my counter-tops.

Old 02-03-2009, 04:41 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,115,073 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleNC View Post
[color=black][font=Verdana]I was wondering what may replace stainless in the future as far as the next "trend." Although it's suppose to be timeless. What other appliance finishing's have people heard are in next?
Avocado Green ? You read it here first.

J/K but Viking IS showing ranges and cook-tops in Copper. Of course, it will "tickle down" as that nasty brownish stuff from the 70s.

I'm also seeing black appliances in the "mirror" finish. Yeah, better have a full-time maid for that look!

Yes, stainless is "timeless" in professional grade (e.g. Viking, Wolf, SubZero) appliances, but at the lower-end it's been kind of dumbed-down.

Back to countertops: I'm so torn on this. I've been helping a friend w/ her kitchen remodel and we are set to start ours this spring. I like the chemistry-lab look of soapstone. I also like the classic look of marble, plus I do a lot of pastry. I love rustic wood shopping blocks....and I love the functionality of stainless.

I noticed some "mixed" countertops on the White Cabinets thread and will probably explore that option. I'm designing my kitchen for cooking, not for looks or resale.

Keep the ideas (and pictures! ) coming.

Old 02-03-2009, 07:23 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I LOVE this stuff. If money were no object, this is what I would go with to replace my counter-tops.
Is it really that much more expensive? That would be disappointing...

Old 02-03-2009, 09:28 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,828,163 times
Last I looked (maybe 1.5 years ago?) recycled glass was running about $125 s/f plus, depending on what size counters you were getting an how much fitting needed to be done.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:27 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Last I looked (maybe 1.5 years ago?) recycled glass was running about $125 s/f plus, depending on what size counters you were getting an how much fitting needed to be done.
Thanks so much for the info - it's still my dream Guess I'd better plan to cut my budget somewhere else to make up for that though!

Old 02-04-2009, 05:54 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
[color=#000000]Granite is a salmonella outbreak waiting to happen for those uneducated families on food safety who cut raw chicken on it. And when you put sealer on granite to make it more food safe but the color changes from what you loved about it when you picked it. But it still remains NOT food safe.
Salmonella can happen to anyone who is careless; I suppose some people like to cut up raw meat on their countertop rather than using a cutting board, but if it is done on granite that is polished to a reflective shine, there is no more danger of illness than any other countertop.

I had monochromatic granite at my former home, enjoyed it for 9 years.
The granite I have now has more depth and movement to it, though not as much as some. I've enjoyed both because I do like natural stone. I also like the convenience of being able to put a hot cookie sheet or pan or whatever directly on the counter.
Neither of them cracked or stained. Sealing did not change the color.
None of us ever got sick from radon or salmonella or anything else.

I appreciate the recycled glass countertops, they are gorgeous--also those recycled Paperstone counters are very forward-thinking, and absolutely beautiful.

Old 02-04-2009, 05:58 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,862,062 times
Even though I understand the fact that stone is scratch resistant, but I think I'd still use a cutting board to cut my meat. Because when I cut meat, I take all the cut up meat and transfer it to the pan or whatever from the cutting board. So if you are cutting up meat, you would have to scoop up all the meat, or veggies, or whatever in your hands and put it in the pan. It seems inefficient to me not to use a board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating