Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 05:16 AM

128 posts, read 1,070,599 times

Advertisements

Try nice light bright colors in yellow shade or light fawn cream or beige. You can buy some brownish or maroon colored couch or sofas for the room as well.

Last edited by Beretta; 06-18-2009 at 04:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 06:40 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennquaker09 View Post
It's one of those things that is never going to come back.
Never say never. I said the same thing about hip-hugger jeans.

If the wood is good quality, it's timeless.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:24 PM

1,668 posts, read 4,705,568 times
Wood is timeless, yes. Not all wood is in vogue.

Old 06-18-2009, 03:44 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,087,071 times
I'd like to be honest here. This is a great room and I am an advocate of QUALITY wood but I don't like the paneling in this room. It really makes the house look old and dated. Either paint over it or take it down and store it.

As far as colors, definitely think as a whole about the room. Consider the color of the couch, the color of the tables and accessories, the window treatments, the amount of sunlight coming in (which affects the colors you choose), the flooring, etc. Collect samples of everything you plan to use and you'll get a better idea of a color palette that works for this room.

As far as the wainscoting, consider leaving it wood or paint it white. Many wainscoting designs today use the same paint color, using a lighter variation above the wainscoting. Another idea is to use molding and make large square or rectangle patterns on the bottom half and then paint the bottom half a bright white, the same as the wainscoting. This adds an architectural element to the room. This idea is also for a more traditional classic room (not sure if you're into the modern design stuff).

Also, look in design magazines for samples of rooms with wainscoting. Have fun and good luck on your project!

Old 06-20-2009, 10:40 AM

186 posts, read 794,312 times
Is it actual paneling or beadboard? In either case, I'd paint it in a neutral to harmonise rather than contrast with the floor covering, .....a possibly pale coffee-with-cream shade and paint the upper walls an even paler shade of the same. That is, if I'm seeing cream wall-to-wall carpet with "brown" tones rather than yellow, grey or pinkish tones, which would need coordinating lighter shades of the same. Always white trim. Your soft furnishing color choices are pretty much dictated by the carpet color, so might as well work with it. But that's just MO.....lots of people prefer brighter colors and more contrast.

Old 06-22-2009, 01:10 PM

1,668 posts, read 4,705,568 times
[quote=South Jersey Styx;9357467]I'd like to be honest here. This is a great room and I am an advocate of QUALITY wood but I don't like the paneling in this room. It really makes the house look old and dated. Either paint over it or take it down and store it.

[quote]

That's what I wanted to say too. Possibly, consider hiring in interior designer for a quick consult on this........I guarentee you a designer would not suggest this paneling stay natural. Not trying to be ugly, but I just feel bad your getting all this "don't paint quality wood" advice".......it's not really NOT quality wood. Please no ofense.

Old 06-23-2009, 06:54 PM

95 posts, read 504,409 times
No, no... not offended at all. I wanted opinions
I am dreading painting the wainscoting but I am going to do it. Everyone I have mentioned it to said that I HAVE to paint it or get rid of it. It will be worth the effort in the end. (I hope)

Old 06-24-2009, 11:20 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,087,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catankerous View Post
I am dreading painting the wainscoting but I am going to do it. Everyone I have mentioned it to said that I HAVE to paint it or get rid of it.
You don't have to do anything you don't want to do. We're just giving opinions. Why not just think about it awhile and collect more ideas? You don't sound comfortable with making a decision right now.

Old 06-24-2009, 11:37 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
For some reason--I can't remember why--we used two different colors in a room. We had a dark brown that we brought to the level of the windows, and then a peach with a fairly deep hue up to the ceiling. I just know that it worked to cover up the pink walls that we originally had there. Ick.

So it's not quite wainscoting, but it had that same effect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating