Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you buy a home that had white kitchen cabinets?
Yes. I adore them. 86 86.00%
No. I would run, not walk, away from a home that had them. 14 14.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 09:16 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,725,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
I never would have considered white cabinets until I happened to see them in a shop a few years ago. I'm a bit worried about keeping them looking clean, but we're getting a vent over our cooker so that should help. I'll just have to make sure I give them a good wipe often and not let anything build up.

Maybe I'll post pics when it's finished!
At a homeowners request, I just refinished her old cheapo wooden kitchen cabinets in white, with black hardware. She has been absolutely thrilled with them. One of the things she really appreciates, in addition to how large and bright it makes the room, is the ability to actually SEE any dirt on them. The easy to see and clean surface makes it a breeze to get it clean and to KNOW that it's clean when she wipes it off. When we started doing the cleaning process, getting them ready to prime and paint, she was disgusted at how filthy those cabinets and doors were...she'd never realized!! I'm with her.....I don't want something that "hides" the dirt. This is my kitchen...it's where I prepare food...I want to KNOW where that icky is so that I can clean it. I don't want something that's going to allow the dirt to hide from me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 09:22 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,381,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
At a homeowners request, I just refinished her old cheapo wooden kitchen cabinets in white, with black hardware. She has been absolutely thrilled with them. One of the things she really appreciates, in addition to how large and bright it makes the room, is the ability to actually SEE any dirt on them. The easy to see and clean surface makes it a breeze to get it clean and to KNOW that it's clean when she wipes it off. When we started doing the cleaning process, getting them ready to prime and paint, she was disgusted at how filthy those cabinets and doors were...she'd never realized!! I'm with her.....I don't want something that "hides" the dirt. This is my kitchen...it's where I prepare food...I want to KNOW where that icky is so that I can clean it. I don't want something that's going to allow the dirt to hide from me.
I hadn't thought of that! I'm always surprised at how dirty my cabinets are when I clean them, even though they don't look it.

I am so anxious to get this kitchen! It's needed to be remodeled for years. This house is 82 years old but fortunately the kitchen has been remodeled since then but who knows what year!!

Old 10-30-2009, 06:35 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,194,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
You can always change the color of your cabinets. That's a ridiculous factor on which to base a decision of whether to buy a house.
Quality cabinets are never painted over.

You want cabinets painted white?

Make them out of plywood, then paint them white ( or whatever color one desires)

Old 11-02-2009, 08:05 AM

339 posts, read 715,813 times
I actually like white cabinets. You can put any kind of countertop in whereas with other cabinets you really have to be choosy because of matching. I also like how white brightens the space. Plus if you don't like them, paint them! I have cinnamon colored cabinets and I am thinking about painting them white.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:12 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,116,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
I'm with her.....I don't want something that "hides" the dirt. This is my kitchen...it's where I prepare food...I want to KNOW where that icky is so that I can clean it. I don't want something that's going to allow the dirt to hide from me.
I often scratch my head when I see someone mention that they don't like XXX (white cabinets, wood floors, etc etc) because they show dirt.

Not just in the kitchen, but in the house in general. I want to see my dirt so I can take care of it!

Old 11-02-2009, 08:19 AM

We picked out white cupboards and went to Ikea yesterday to look at them. They are actually an off white and I really like them. Some will have glass doors on them. Here's a pic I found of the cupboard style we are getting (Ikea Lidingo white).

Old 11-02-2009, 08:51 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,194,504 times
white= cheap

Imagine a student building a wood project in shop class and when it comes to the finish, tells the teacher------" I'll just paint it white"

I guess if a person has plywood cabinets, painting them would be an option.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
white= cheap

Imagine a student building a wood project in shop class and when it comes to the finish, tells the teacher------" I'll just paint it white"

I guess if a person has plywood cabinets, painting them would be an option.
Yes, you've made your opinion clear many times. You HATE white cupboards. So, I like them and it's my opinion that counts in my own kitchen.

Old 11-02-2009, 02:03 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,092,699 times
Default Would you buy a home with white kitchen cabinets?

Yes, only if they were part if a historic home, the original cabinets, AND decent quality.

If they were in a new house, then no.

Old 11-02-2009, 03:33 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,116,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
white= cheap
Try pricing out a Clive Christian or Christopher Peacock kitchen and get back to us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating