Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 02:43 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,666,242 times

Advertisements

The window seat thread got me thinking...I do have a bedroom I plan on using as an office and built in cabinets would most likely be more functional and look more appealing than using furniture in this room. If I had custom built ins installed desk/ nice shelving but left it so it could still easily function as a bedroom would that be a pro or con to most buyers??? Would it be better to do this in a large loft rather than a bedroom? I absolutely want to keep resale in mind.

4 bedroom house in a neighborhood where that is the minimum number of bedrooms typically seen. The office will be in a secondary bedroom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 03:26 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,043,847 times
Built-in's in a master bedroom would be a deterrent to buying for me. It can often difficult to place furniture in a room becaue of windows, doorways, French doors, closet doors, etc. Built-ins would be one more difficulty in my opinion. Other rooms would be fine for built-in's as long as there is room for additional furniture like beds, etc.

Old 11-17-2009, 06:29 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
Catnip is not wrong. But we can bend the rules. Built-ins were the rage in the south west during the boom years from 1999 t0 2004 yet on business trips to Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana and the New Jersey area, upon talking to other people in this biz I learned that they can not give them away. Some showrooms I visited had one or two displays showing what can be done with stock cabinet boxes but they just sat there.

The trend among what few home buyers there are out there still want a home office. Many times they will be happy to sacrifice one bedroom for a nice complete comfortable home office. Afterall....who has 4 kids anymore. The average children per household is still less then 2 which means there is always an extra room which could/should be a home office.

A built-in is removable and even a non handy home buyer will know they can tear it out if need be. With that said, why not make it easy. Just like my posts on window seats using stock componants, do the same for your home office. Every major cabinet manufacturer has various bookshelf and home office cabinet choices. They are already built and finished to dozens of color choices. You can gang several together to make long runs of bookshelves.

To this you can also build the desk using stock cabinet parts. They have many home office options including file drawers, desk drawers among some ideas. You can do any countertop you wish but of about 3000 I have built, I can not remember ever not doing a matching wood top rather then granite or whatever. And after dressing them up, no one on earth can tell that they are/were kitchen cabinets.

And once again, half the cost of having a custom shop build them for you. And much easier to remove for a future home buyer. Or.....you can dismantle the whole built-in and take it to your new home.

Old 11-17-2009, 06:45 PM

Soho, many home offices can be abandoned and reused as a kids room again with a built-in left behind. What kid would not want this in their room to sit at and do their work? Even place their TV on it some place.

Go to:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/home-...ry-office.html post #2
where you will find some more examples of simple but awesome home offices. These are all kitchen cabinets dont forget. Can you tell? Read my post there too.
Attached Thumbnails
requesting opinions- on built ins-oak-natural-office-1.jpg   requesting opinions- on built ins-oak-natural-office-3.jpg  

Old 11-17-2009, 07:32 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,666,242 times
Thank you both for your opinions.

Yes, I was thinking that as long as they were used thoughtfully they would be fine in a kids room or that of a young adult.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:54 PM

2 posts, read 8,188 times
I did something very similar to what you are proposing. I am currently using a bedroom as office space and I needed more shelving. I built two built-in bookcases to the ceiling on either side of a window, and put a window seat in between. I thought that this would be a win-win all the way around--and I did study that this current arrangement wouldn't impede future furniture placements. I think it just adds a richness to the room. Good luck!

Old 11-18-2009, 09:11 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
We've got a huge amount of custom built-in bookshelves in a dining room we converted to a library. (and yes, the shelves L around behind the cat until they reach the edge of a pass through to the kitchen) I figure that if we sell, we'll end up telling potential buyers that it's their call if they stay or go, and we'll do what they want to make the sale happen.

Old 11-18-2009, 01:20 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun41 View Post
A built-in is removable and even a non handy home buyer will know they can tear it out if need be.
To this you can also build the desk using stock cabinet parts...
And much easier to remove for a future home buyer. Or.....you can dismantle the whole built-in and take it to your new home.
So true, so true!
Not so sure on the price part though. I'm sure with some hunting and shrewd negotiating you can get a reasonable price for custom.

Old 11-18-2009, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
So true, so true!
Not so sure on the price part though. I'm sure with some hunting and shrewd negotiating you can get a reasonable price for custom.
Yes but I wont call it shrewd negotiating. Today's consumers are brutal. Good thing or bad thing but people know that in this economic depression that everyone is begging for work and will work for peanuts, box tops and grocery coupons rather then a pay check. When in history can you remember giving your bid to a customer and then they make you an offer rather then negotiate when they dont like your price?

They take the bids from 10, 15 and sometimes more contractors and play eachother off. I had one come in back mid summer with a stack of bids that was 2" thick. I guess she collected bids like they were baseball cards. Profit margins are real real thin these days. My granite guy charges me his cost plus $300. It's hard to pay the bills when you are selling a $4000 slab of granite for $4300.

Old 11-18-2009, 04:11 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,110,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
If I had custom built ins installed desk/ nice shelving but left it so it could still easily function as a bedroom would that be a pro or con to most buyers??? Would it be better to do this in a large loft rather than a bedroom? I absolutely want to keep resale in mind.
Floor-to-ceiling open bookshelves=plus. You can store stuff in cute containers and baskets and personally I prefer a large work-table to a desk.

Desks, kitchen cabinets etc. =minus. I'd be figuring the cost/effort of removing them when I made my offer. They wouldn't be appropriate should the next buyer want to use the space as a nursery for example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating