Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 08:11 AM

206 posts, read 746,717 times

Advertisements

Anyone have personal experience good/bad with these appliances? I am asking b/c we have access to a 50% off friends and family discount on some of their products. I want to take advantage if the price is right, but only if they are good products. Appliance shopping is overwhelming!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 10:03 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trayandtom View Post
Anyone have personal experience good/bad with these appliances? I am asking b/c we have access to a 50% off friends and family discount on some of their products. I want to take advantage if the price is right, but only if they are good products. Appliance shopping is overwhelming!
I only have experience with Bosch. In fact Bosch diswasher was rated the top product the last 2 years running. I mostly push GE on my customers because I like them and trust them.

But when you say "access to" you scare me silly. I hope you are not trying to order from Direct Buy that some one you know got suckered into and ripped off. The product will be the same that you buy from them but a DW that you can special order from any appliance store in 3 days will take 3 months or more ordering through Direct Buy.

Watch yourself out there. There are more companies trying to take your money then you will ever know while giving you less then good service or products in return.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:33 AM

Nope-its from a friend of 20 years-no Direct Buy here. Thanks for the warning though! Direct Buy is one of the biggest scams going IMO!

Old 12-31-2009, 11:34 AM

Oh, by the way-who rated the Bosch the top dishwasher?

Old 12-31-2009, 02:29 PM

16,176 posts, read 32,481,285 times
I had a Bosch dishwasher and LOVED IT. I was glad to sell the house but so miss my wonderful appliances in that house.

I don't have any experience with Thermador. Good luck with your purchases!

Old 12-31-2009, 02:57 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Love our Bosch dishwasher both for the quiet (semi-open plan house so it matters) and how it's gentle enough to put a lot of things in there that are otherwise hand wash only. The tradeoff is that the drying system is different than most other brands, and you have to be a) consistent with using a drying agent, either the standalone Jet Dry or a tablet with the agent built in and b) be okay with the idea it'll take significantly longer to get dishes bone dry. Since my daily routine is usually to unload the washer first thing in the morning, that's not an issue for us, but if you like to unload quickly after washing, it will be an annoyance for you.

We just ended up replacing our old clothes washer today wth a Bosch front loader. Will have to give a preliminary report back on that one in a few weeks.

Old 12-31-2009, 03:51 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,110,691 times
Quote:
Consumer Reports for one. For several years now.

We love ours. Not sure we really needed the high-end model we bought, but it's super-duper quiet. One thing that takes getting used to: the longer wash times. It's not brand specific, it's just that that's how the new high-efficiency machines use less water. You also need to remember to clean the little filter thingy out after every few washes.

A few years ago CR also rated the Thermador ranges highest in their class (up against Wolf and Viking). Keep in mind that CR also looks at cost, so they add "value" to their list. I've not noticed a "high end range" test in CR in the last year or so. I wish they'd do one again before our remodel.

I do have to say that I recently visited a kitchen showroom where I was able to put my hands on Thermador, Viking and Wolf (as well as Meile and Asko) and was impressed with the fit and finish of both the ranges and refrigerators by Thermador. My SO was impressed as well (and he's an engineer.... ). He looks for construction and durability. He won't let me buy just to get a fancy label.

Good luck and have fun. Sounds like you may be getting some sort of "employee" discount? Lucky you!!!

Old 12-31-2009, 05:52 PM

Thanks-I will have to go look at the Thermador and see how it looks. Sounds like a Bosch dishwasher is the way to go. I did notice at a house I was at during the holidays it took forever to run, but the explanation of the water usage for the longer cycle time makes sense. I would love to hear what you think of your washer in a few weeks!

Old 12-31-2009, 06:15 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
Quote:
Consumer Reports, Consumer Search and Epinions all rated Bosch tops as well as Bosch claim that their DW uses the least amount of water and energy in any normal use.

Old 12-31-2009, 08:41 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
I HATE HATE HATE HATE Bosch dishwashers. I am baffled how in the world they were rated so high in Consumer Reports. It is the first time I purchased something per Consumer Reports. The dishwasher was the crappiest thing I have owned. Never worked correctly, and there were so many small parts that fell off constantly it was annoying. HATED it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating