Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2010, 11:05 AM

12 posts, read 81,866 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone.

My husband and I recently bought a bank owned split level home. We've got the upstairs portion mostly done now but the lower level still needs a fair amount of work--no flooring, needs some wall repair, repainting, etc. Now, we moved here after living in white apartments for too long and I'm starting to wonder if I went overboard with the colors we had picked out. The upstairs is green----with the kitchen painted in a golden-wheat color--
Then there's the bathroom that is entirely white aside from the dark wood vanity and the tan floor tile. Tile around the tub is white, the trim is white, the walls are white--my original plan was to paint it this shade of blue-- which we were also considering using as the main color for the lower floor. Now, I like the green overall and the gold in the kitchen (it's not quite as bright as the picture makes it out to be, lol) but I'm worried that if I carry the green through the lower level too it's just going to be waaay to much of it. But, I'm also worried that changing over to the blue is going to turn our house from merely being colorful into one of the many we made fun of while we were house hunting.

Any thoughts, suggestions of other colors or combos we could consider would be awesome! I've never been able to paint before so everything is a learning experience at this point, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2010, 11:21 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,191,090 times
Those blues will not look good with the bricks. The green looks okay. Earthy tones will look good. Not those blues.

If you want a cooler look, try to pick a grey that's close to a grey in the brick.

I feel your pain. It took me a long time to find the right color to go with the brick wall in my house. It was well worth the trouble to get it right.

Old 03-06-2010, 06:27 PM

Oh, I should have been a little more clear--the pic with the blue is next to the fireplace in the first picture before we painted that area green. Downstairs there isn't any stone, just some old brick that the person before us painted white. Wish they'd left it alone but now that it's been done I think we'll just have to put up with it.

Anyways, so the blue only really needs to go with the green, and then I'm just worried about blinding our visitors with color, lol.

Old 03-06-2010, 06:52 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,802,947 times
No problem with going with the blue, especially since it's on a whole other level of the house. If you can see both levels while standing in one spot, I'd make sure the blue and green harmonized well. Another idea would be to pick a color similar to something else in the green room, like the upholstery, rug, a large picture if you're using one, etc.
My house flows with color from one room to the next, shades of yellow, blue, green and red, but they work perfectly together because the colors can be found in almost each room.
To explain flow of color:
People usually enter my house through the family room, the carpet is a deep green, the walls are a russet red, the woodwork is a golden cream, the upholstery is in shades of brown and cream. This room flows into the kitchen:
The tiles on the floor echo the colors of the upholstery in the family room. The walls are a dark green, similar to the family room rug. The cabinets are cream.
The dining room flows off the kitchen, you can see all three rooms standing in one spot.
The dining room has ivory woodwork, a shade lighter than the kitchen cabinets, and this color is also below the chair rail. The walls are a medium blue. The oriental carpet and the curtains have dark green and a dark red within the pattern. The front hall and the living room are a pale golden yellow. The front hall and stairs are covered with deep blue oriental carpets which are a darker shade of the dining room walls, and also have a tiny bit of the family room red in them, together with ivory white.
And it goes along the same lines into the living room. There will be bits of each major color in each room. That's how you can use just about any color you like without it getting all jumbled looking.
I like to treat my rooms as if each one was a picture. I like to do the same thing in my garden, but unfortunately, plants don't always grow or bloom the way I expect them to. (sigh)

Old 03-08-2010, 12:19 PM

2cold, I'd love to see some pictures of your rooms if you're willing.

Old 03-08-2010, 04:04 PM

35 posts, read 144,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBlue63 View Post
Hi everyone.

My husband and I recently bought a bank owned split level home. We've got the upstairs portion mostly done now but the lower level still needs a fair amount of work--no flooring, needs some wall repair, repainting, etc. Now, we moved here after living in white apartments for too long and I'm starting to wonder if I went overboard with the colors we had picked out. The upstairs is green----with the kitchen painted in a golden-wheat color--
Then there's the bathroom that is entirely white aside from the dark wood vanity and the tan floor tile. Tile around the tub is white, the trim is white, the walls are white--my original plan was to paint it this shade of blue-- which we were also considering using as the main color for the lower floor. Now, I like the green overall and the gold in the kitchen (it's not quite as bright as the picture makes it out to be, lol) but I'm worried that if I carry the green through the lower level too it's just going to be waaay to much of it. But, I'm also worried that changing over to the blue is going to turn our house from merely being colorful into one of the many we made fun of while we were house hunting.

Any thoughts, suggestions of other colors or combos we could consider would be awesome! I've never been able to paint before so everything is a learning experience at this point, lol.
I think you are on the right track but in too rich of a tone of blue. I would sugest you fo one of two things...
A cooler blue/ grey... Like a stormy sea
or
A rich chocalate. Pulling the natural huges from the stones will pull everything into a cohesive look. Then you could go very modern/ contemporary if you go with the chocolate and use bright white for the furniture. Maybe your blue- more turquoise for you accent color. Or if you go with the blue/ grey the go for warm colors in the futniture like warm woods and use a deep golden/ yellow for an accent.

As far as the painted brick, there are paint removers that you apply, let sit, and they bubble up allowing you to remove the paint with out hurting the brick.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating