Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 02:53 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,906,689 times

Advertisements

I don't know where you live but where I live, $1000/wk would be just above food stamps level. They could probably afford a small 1-BR apartment in an 'edgy' neighborhood. But they wouldn't be living on high street that's for sure. They couldn't even afford to own their own home.

Architects generally have scale in their favor. They design larger projects, generally. They design one window and it is repeated a thousand times. They specify one door and hardware set and it is repeated a few hundred times. The design and specification might take an hour, maybe two, and that will obviously be far far less than the cost of purchasing and installing all those doors. So their percentage of the total construction cost will be less. A recently notable project by a famous "starchitect" paid the architect merely 5%--yet that was enough to keep a team of staff paid full-time for a few years.

Interior designers by contrast, especially residential ones, have to design each piece separately. So the percentage of the total cost has to be higher.

If you have such a jaded and negative attitude already about this designer, perhaps it would be better for everyone if you move on to someone else. You sound like you are going to resent paying her invoices and probably end up resenting the design she produces for you too.

Last edited by kodaka; 04-14-2010 at 03:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 02:57 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
I don't know where you live but where I live, $1000/wk would be just above food stamps level.

IF
said designer only had one client, which the OP said she had more than one.
I myself have 6 rolling right now, only 1 of those is not a whole house design.

Old 04-14-2010, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post

IF
said designer only had one client, which the OP said she had more than one.
I myself have 6 rolling right now, only 1 of those is not a whole house design.
Yes I am fully aware that most designers have more than one client. Surely you may have realized by now that I have first-hand knowledge of this profession.

However OP's argument was that their payments alone were sufficient to exceed middle income.

Old 04-14-2010, 03:04 PM

1,278 posts, read 4,099,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
I don't know where you live but where I live, $1000/wk would be just above food stamps level.

Architects generally have the benefit of size in their favor. They design larger projects, generally. They design one window and it is repeated a thousand times. They specify one door and hardware set and it is repeated a few hundred times. The design and specification might take an hour, maybe two, and that will obviously be far far less than the cost of purchasing and installing all those doors.
Thats 1000 a week just off my job so lets assume she has 2 other jobs my size ( I know they are larger, but just for the sake of arguement) and I only agree to give her half of what she wants from me.......so that would mean she is bringing in 2500 per week over the 6 weeks with me and the two others....if we all agree to only give her half shes still bringing in 1500 a week, she is 27 years old

I dont know what planet you live on but to most people that buys more than food stamps.........maybe you live in NYC , I lived NYC for 2 years.....and trust me 1500-2500 a week can even buy you more than food stamps in NYC

And based on your Architect comment, you obviously are not a designer and dont understand what goes into the design of something to make a blanket construction/architect statement like that.

I dont want to "nickle and dime her" but I dont want to get reaped either

So what I am asking is, what is the normal fee percentage for interior designers........b/c I am not willing at this point in my life to pay a %50 fee on the job cost

Old 04-14-2010, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudbeckia View Post
Thats 1000 a week just off my job so lets assume she has 2 other jobs my size ( I know they are larger, but just for the sake of arguement) and I only agree to give her half of what she wants from me.......so that would mean she is bringing in 2500 per week over the 6 weeks with me and the two others....if we all agree to only give her half shes still bringing in 1500 a week, she is 27 years old

I dont know what planet you live on but to most people that buys more than food stamps.........maybe you live in NYC , I lived NYC for 2 years.....and trust me 1500-2500 a week can even buy you more than food stamps in NYC

And based on your Architect comment, you obviously are not a designer and dont understand what goes into the design of something to make a blanket construction/architect statement like that.

I dont want to "nickle and dime her" but I dont want to get reaped either

So what I am asking is, what is the normal fee percentage for interior designers........b/c I am not willing at this point in my life to pay a %50 fee on the job cost
Thank you, all some people seem to want to do is argue, no matter what forum it is....

OP, what area of the US do you reside in?

Old 04-14-2010, 03:09 PM

I am in Alabama.....but i work remotely for a company in NYC so i kind of feel like I am used to high fees, but hers (my interior designer) just seem really high

Old 04-14-2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
I am in Alabama.....but i work remotely for a company in NYC so i kind of feel like I am used to high fees, but hers (my interior designer) just seem really high
Unless you are in a VERY high-end area, I would say that anything over 8k is excessive.
BTW, I have used Lee Furniture extensively, good stuff!
Have you signed a contract with her already?
I do quite a bit of work remotely myself, in the STL area, and my pricing here in Florida is right in line with what designers are charging there.

Old 04-14-2010, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Unless you are in a VERY high-end area, I would say that anything over 8k is excessive.
BTW, I have used Lee Furniture extensively, good stuff!
Have you signed a contract with her already?
I do quite a bit of work remotely myself, in the STL area, and my pricing here in Florida is right in line with what designers are charging there.
I have not signed anything yet.....I am willing to pay her 10% design fee of job so 2000 plus she can keep her 35% mark up pon everything plus I am willing to pay her 75 an hour additional for conslutation fees on the bedrooms (we have not looked at those yet)

So thats 7000 to her.......is that going to insult her?

Old 04-14-2010, 03:31 PM

Quote:
I have not signed anything yet.....I am willing to pay her 10% design fee of job so 2000 plus she can keep her 35% mark up pon everything plus I am willing to pay her 75 an hour additional for conslutation fees on the bedrooms (we have not looked at those yet)

So thats 7000 to her.......is that going to insult her?
I would have her read this;
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/20/ga...rators.html?em

And then negotiate with her.
None of us are making what we did a couple of years ago.
I would let her know that you have been making inquiries into pricing. So many designers use what the client does NOT know to their advantage, it makes the rest of us look bad.
Like I said, I wouldnt charge more than 8k for a job such as you describe, so I dont think she should feel insulted.
3/4 of the pie is better than no pie at all, and she does have other clients.
If she were at your home 8 hours a day, 5 days a week til the job is finished, thats a different story, but she wont be.

Old 04-14-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Nope, I'm licensed and certified with many acronyms after my name and decades of experience. Just because you don't like what I said doesn't mean its wrong.

Like I said above, it really sounds like you would be better off working with another designer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating