Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 01:31 PM

137 posts, read 615,027 times

Advertisements

Agreed! I like white kitchen cabinets too. I actually think just any about any color or stain on a cabinet can look good if done right. And all of them can look so out of place if not. So I would never absolutely say that something would look horrible right off the bat. The key question for me is "in what surroundings"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 02:11 PM

1,395 posts, read 5,086,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Kelly when you say you are looking at Kraftmaid you scare me into a shiver thinking you are looking in the big orange who only wants your little green. They charge list price on cabinets (as well as everything else). That's MSRP or top retail price. Most all small kitchen showrooms discount heavy from list price. I went into this more times then some care to see one more time so I will stop there. You can search my past posts to learn the proper way to buy cabinets or you are welcome to check out my home page, click on the tab HOW TO BUY to learn everything you ever need to know to be a smart consumer and not get ripped off.

Good luck
I am reading your website. I had no idea what you were talking about when you said, "Big Orange". Now I've got it figured out after reading your website. We are not going to Home Depot for our cabinets! LOL There's a local lumber store with kitchen design services that the builder prefers we use. They said their prices are cheaper than Home Depot.

Are there any cabinet brands you reccomend?

Back to reading...

ETA: I see you have Legacy cabinets on your website as a brand you use. My husband is at a store right now that carries the Legacy brand of cabinets. We may not go with the builder's preference. I guess it will all depend on the pricing. If the builder gets special pricing at a particular place it seems to make sense to shop there.

Last edited by KellyCrash; 05-20-2010 at 02:20 PM..

Old 05-20-2010, 02:26 PM

18,473 posts, read 31,648,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaime_mac View Post
Everyone has their own opinions and they won't always agree with the next person who doesn't like what they like. That's why there are so many different design options when it comes to homes

agree with that, I would rather have black cabinets as I do not really like cherry cabinets.

again, personal preferance.

Old 05-20-2010, 02:52 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
My In-laws have had black painted cabinets in their home for 40 years and they don't look weird at all. My parents had white metal cabinets. I think I even prefer today's black cabinets over the white or cream cabinets. Oak is still my favorite though.

Old 05-20-2010, 03:56 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,541,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
My In-laws have had black painted cabinets in their home for 40 years and they don't look weird at all. My parents had white metal cabinets. I think I even prefer today's black cabinets over the white or cream cabinets. Oak is still my favorite though.
Todays black cabinets look fine with me, like the picture previous poster showed, however the cabinets in this house I'm moving into are old and probably not in the best condition and just had a coat of black paint slapped on it to go with the pink and black granite and the mauve pink walls.

Old 05-20-2010, 04:44 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,984,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Oak is still my favorite though.
... and here I am getting rid of the oak in my kitchen.

The thing is, we all have different tastes, and as long as it's pleasing to you, then so be it. Trends change anyways ... I mean, avocado green and harvest gold were once "in" too, right? Bottom line ... there's no hard set rule of what's good and what's not.

Unless you're remodeling your kitchen to sell your house in the near term, DON'T choose a cabinet style/wood species/color solely on someone else's opinion; Choose it because it's what you like, as ultimately, you're going to be the one living with it day-in day-out.

Old 05-20-2010, 04:47 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,665,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffanyA View Post
It's actually a very popular choice, I was told, behind cherry. Up and coming? I dunno.
Popular choice? I can tell you that black cabinets are not even on the radar of the statistics kept by the NKBA. There is not even a category for it. Well over 6000 kitchens behind me and I never sold one.

Old 05-20-2010, 05:00 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Popular isn't always better.

Old 05-20-2010, 05:00 PM

137 posts, read 615,027 times
I am talking about the one particular builder. The line of cabinets they recommend have a color called "espresso" - which is the one I chose. It is a new addition to the line, added only a few months before I chose them. Apparently it has quickly become a popular choice in that line, although cherry was still ahead. In fact, he asked me if I had met my neighbors because guess what color they chose?

Old 05-20-2010, 06:17 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
... and here I am getting rid of the oak in my kitchen.
I read once that to get in on the next trend, and not just follow the current one, you either need to have a crystal ball or reach back to something that USED to be trendy...because sooner or later it will come back into style. lol.

Quote:
avocado green and harvest gold were once "in" too, right?
Right! And actually my new sofa is avocado green, only now they call it "Basil". . Before we redid our kitchen, replacing dark, cheap Mediterranean style cabinets with the simple oak, the wallpaper was a large floral print of green, gold, and orange. Actually, the orange didn't look half bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating