Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 01:11 AM

61,721 posts, read 87,123,005 times

Advertisements

Pretty soon I will have installed a new kitchen with butcher block counter tops.
The kitchen is an U shape. On one site the counter top will be cut out for sink installation. I understand that I need to take care of the cut out where raw wood will be exposed, but I am not sure what kind of sealant I need to use to treat the edges ( and how to do it).
I also know that I need to threat the wood top surface around the sink with some kind of wood sealant to protect it from water splashes. Thinking about using the Waterlox ( I am not going to prepare food on this site of the kitchen). The other two counter top sites, I would like to treat with raw Tung Oil and beeswax (is food safe).
My question is, will the counter top treated with Waterlox have different color than the rest of the counter top treated only with oil and wax?
I would be very unhappy with two shades of wood in my kitchen... however, I need to seal the part around the sink somehow to protect the wood from cracking and staining.

Last edited by Beretta; 06-01-2010 at 05:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 09:33 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,982,832 times
That said, Waterlox does have more sheen to it over oil, so if it's anything, treat all the counters with it and do your food prep (dough kneading, etc.) on separate boards instead.

BTW, 4 rubber feet on the sink cutout makes for a nicely sized workpiece.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 06-01-2010 at 05:11 PM.. Reason: Referenced Post corrected

Old 06-01-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
Mod Cut

That said, Waterlox does have more sheen to it over oil, so if it's anything, treat all the counters with it and do your food prep (dough kneading, etc.) on separate boards instead.

Mod Cut

4 rubber feet??? Hmmmmmm... what is that? Where I put them?
I still need to seal the sink area somehow. What would be the best product to use, that would not give the butcher block a different shade compared to the rest of the countertop area?
Should I put the Waterlox on all areas and do my food preparation on separate cutting boards? What I need to do before I put Waterlox on the counters? Seal with oil and wax, then apply Waterlox?
Thank you for all your help.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 06-01-2010 at 05:12 PM.. Reason: Corrected for edit to original post

Old 06-01-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Threaten? That sounds harsh!

Oh, hello!!! I think I know what to do with the 4 rubber feet!!
Use the cutout as a cutting board! Of course!! Great idea!

Old 06-01-2010, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Should I put the Waterlox on all areas and do my food preparation on separate cutting boards? What I need to do before I put Waterlox on the counters? Seal with oil and wax, then apply Waterlox?
Thank you for all your help.
- Yes.
- Make sure the surface is clean and dust free. For the during process, make sure you're in a well ventilated area (so don't be doing it cooped up in the dining room at 2am in the morning! At least do it in the garage.)
- No oil, no wax ... just Waterlox.

http://waterlox.com/assets/pdfs/counter-guide-FINAL.pdf

And yes, cutting board. So for like $2, you don't have to spend $64 for one.
Maple Edge Grain 24x18-inch Cutting Board | Overstock.com

Old 06-01-2010, 12:11 PM

Quote:
- Yes.
- Make sure the surface is clean and dust free. For the during process, make sure you're in a well ventilated area (so don't be doing it cooped up in the dining room at 2am in the morning! At least do it in the garage.)
- No oil, no wax ... just Waterlox.

http://waterlox.com/assets/pdfs/counter-guide-FINAL.pdf

And yes, cutting board. So for like $2, you don't have to spend $64 for one.
Maple Edge Grain 24x18-inch Cutting Board | Overstock.com
Nono... I will do it in the kitchen ( all windows open, and door closed! ), after the handyman puts them on the top of kitchen cabinets to let it adjust to the room temperature.
My kitchen is enclosed, so the smell will not spread over the whole house.

How should I seal the edges of the new cutting board and the cut out made for the sink?

Old 06-01-2010, 02:22 PM

Sink cutout ... Waterlox too, especially at the edges, and include the underside. There are folks who've undermounted sinks on Waterlox-ed BB (Google it) ... or actually made the sink into the wood itself.
Wood Countertop Options

The resulting cutting board ... mineral oil.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:35 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Call me old fashion, but I'd stick with mineral oil. Even if it is a royal pain-in-the-ass to maintain.

Besides, have you checked out the MSDS on their products-

Technical data for Waterlox Process Tung oil finishes, marine sealer finishes, low VOC sealer finishes, Urethane finishes

Old 06-07-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Call me old fashion, but I'd stick with mineral oil. Even if it is a royal pain-in-the-ass to maintain.

Besides, have you checked out the MSDS on their products-

Technical data for Waterlox Process Tung oil finishes, marine sealer finishes, low VOC sealer finishes, Urethane finishes

Well, that was my original question. I need to seal (waterproof) the area around sink. Whatever I use to seal the sink will look different than the rest of the counter treated just with mineral oil (the counter is continuous U-shape). So, what's to do??

Old 06-07-2010, 02:39 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,192,007 times
I have had my counter tops for 3 years now and after the original installation treatemnt with linseed oil I have tried plain mineral oil, which moisturizes quite well. However, I'm totally sold on the Howard Butcher Block Conditioner w/ food grade mioneral oil and butchers wax. I lightly heat it and treat all areas every 3 months. The area around the sink still looks new and all water beads up. I just don't cut directly on my countertops. But, despite many negative comments about bb counters, I love mine and get numerous compliments and newbies who go out and buy them.

p.s. I keep all my windows open about 7 months a year and the rest is pumped with heat----no probs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating