Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 07:40 AM

5 posts, read 100,160 times

Advertisements

I have a 1993 honda accord and it wont start. when i turn the key it just clicks once and stops. everything else works fine. got battery charge and everything. if you could help me out? it would be much appreciated. I checked all the battery cables and they are all tight and clean. except the ground wire leading to the starter the covering of the wire towards the end of it is off and ther wire is exposed.. but it is still connected. can that be a problem?

Last edited by deweazy; 06-03-2010 at 07:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 07:47 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times
Check your battery cable connections for looseness or corrosion. You may be getting enough fire to operate some of the car's electronics but not enough for the starter solenoid. If your connections are tight and clean, you may want someone like Walmart, Pep Boys, etc. to check your battery for a dead cell.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:59 AM

the battery is good. but the ground wire like right before it gets to the starter it is missing the wire cover but it is still connected tightly. can that be a problem?

Old 06-03-2010, 08:34 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
How do you know the battery is fine? Just because you have enough juice to run the radio and the lights does not mean that you have enough to start the car. I don't think there is any issue with the ground wire as long as it is still properly connected and it isn't in contact with anything else where the wire is exposed.

This sounds like a battery issue to me. If you have another car handy swap the batteries and see if it will start. At least then you've narrowed it down. Outside of that the next thing to look at is the starter.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:36 AM

660 posts, read 1,652,566 times
I doubt that the loss of a little insulation on the cable is the problem. Loosen all the connections and jiggle them back and forth to get a really good contact...then tighten them down again.

Then I'd start thinking the starter solenoid is gone.

BTW...have you tried moving the shifter, starting it in neutral, etc.? You could also have a transmission-starter interlock switch problem (a switch that only allows the engine to start when it's in Park or Neutral). I had one once that worked intermittently or did what yours is doing. It wasn't the switch itself, but the shifter cable had stretched over time and a small adjustment fixed the problem.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:25 AM

I too doubt that the missing insulation on the ground wire is the problem but if you are sure your battery is good, it sounds like it could be a starter or solenoid problem. If you can hear a clicking sound when you turn the key to "start", the solenoid is likely still working and it could be a starter problem.

Try this site for troubleshooting. I looked around it briefly but did not see your exact problem but scroll down the page for possible starter problems.

I have a 1990 Accord that intermittently will not start in hot weather and after it has been run for some time. However in this case, the starter does turn the engine over. It is my belief that this problem is related to the Main Relay which has been a known problem in the 1990 Accords.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:27 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,697,007 times
Sounds like a bad battery. I would try jump starting the car and see if that works.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:32 AM

1,474 posts, read 4,995,303 times
make sure the wire is still 'thick' if is thinned(frayed?) out it wont be able to send enough current to the starter. BTW most wires going to the start is POSITIVE (not ground) so be careful

Old 06-03-2010, 09:57 AM

I have to say that clicking once, then nothing, really sounds like a bad battery connection.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:40 AM

Thank you everyone. I got it figured out. The other day me and my neighbor changed all my battery cables and stuff and it ran just fine for a couple days after that then it started clicking once. I tightened all my cables and taped up the exposed wire and cleaned all the connections and it starts perfect now. better than ever. thanks for your guys help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura