Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2014, 11:33 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,943,060 times

Advertisements

So I have a 2003 Acura TL that had a transmission code on and was not shifting properly. I have since read about the systematic transmission problems with the 2003 TLs. I was considering getting a new transmission but just last week the engine seized on me while I was driving and would not start back up-I was told I now need a new engine, but I still need someone to take a second look at it.

I only had this car for a year and it has 108,000 miles-I did buy it as is but it drove perfectly until a few months ago. Is my best/only option to sell the car for parts? I really like the look/handle of the car and would like to save it, but is it worth the expense? Would a new engine/transmission just be the start of even more problems?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 03:51 AM

3,503 posts, read 7,502,834 times
Well, you have to decide that. If you can hit up a salvage yard and get a decent deal on a pull out engine and transmission in one swift swoop, then you may come out okay on the deal.

I notice the mileage you listed. That 3.2L v6 has a timing belt change interval of 105,000 miles. If that wasn't done, then that engine is going to show most of 24 vales meeting those six pistons. Done it is.

2003 Acura TL timing belt replacement at 60,000 miles? (Engine Timing Belt Acura TL)

Quite frankly, I would take an engine with a timing belt, especially if it is an interference design. My old '94 Ranger had a belt, but it was non-interference four-cylinder. If you are going to buy based on badge.reputation, get a Corolla or Camry four cylinder model with a chain in it. Newer Hondas use chains, but seeing what you are putting around in gives me a sense of the budget you are working with.

Old 12-16-2014, 06:01 AM

Thanks for the tips! Yeah-it's a tough decision as either way it will probably be $4000-$5,000 if I fix my current car or buy a used Civic/VW Golf. Is it a good idea to price engines/transmissions online and ebay or are those not salvage prices?

At least I have been told prices for parts are way down.

Old 12-16-2014, 02:50 PM

2,054 posts, read 2,569,918 times
I had a 2001 version of this car with the same issues. It's time to face it friend; it's an old car. While some cars are worth the maintenance and the thrill of doing it yourself to repair, this isn't really a DIY project. Your repairs are going to cost more than the car is worth.

be rid of it.

Old 12-16-2014, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
I had a 2001 version of this car with the same issues. It's time to face it friend; it's an old car. While some cars are worth the maintenance and the thrill of doing it yourself to repair, this isn't really a DIY project. Your repairs are going to cost more than the car is worth.

be rid of it.
Sigh-I know this is the right answer...Oh well, no biggie.

It just stinks seeing my 98 Oldsmobile that I sold for $1500 to get this Acura still driving around like a champ in my neighborhood. I chose looks over reliability...Win some, lose some. I think I'll continue to stick to public transportation and my bike for a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura