Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 09:08 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,628,121 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for an inexpensive used car to get me thru the next year until I can afford to buy something new. I drive maybe 8,000 miles per year--around town, short freeway trips, etc. Maybe a two hour trip to a nearby city every few months.

I've found a car--1 owner (older man), CA/west coast for all of its life (no rust), extremely clean (doubt there's a cleaner 1999 out there), always garaged, well taken care of, manual trans, and 209,000 miles.

My question is would you consider buying this car? Getting it checked out by a mechanic but just wondering what things tend to go on a civic after the 200,000 mark...

I know I can keep looking and very well might. I've seen a lot of bad things out there and lots of scammers so buying this from a normal guy with documentation is a draw despite the high miles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 09:15 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,664,016 times
if a Honda is well taken care of and has all it's oil changes and routine maintenance it should go another 100k miles if you continue to do those things. But if someone didn't take care of it then you may be on borrowed time.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:16 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,129,944 times
Hondas are excellent cars. A well maintained Honda with 200,000 miles still has life left in it. The one thing that has always kept me from buying a Honda is their parts cost more than other Japanese cars. The standard transmission is a big plus!

I would have a mechanic look at it, and if he thinks it's good, and the price is right, I'd get it.

Old 09-16-2014, 10:29 PM

1,455 posts, read 2,496,016 times
You left out one vital piece of information.... how much is the owner asking for this Civic?

Old 09-16-2014, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
Hondas are excellent cars. A well maintained Honda with 200,000 miles still has life left in it. The one thing that has always kept me from buying a Honda is their parts cost more than other Japanese cars. The standard transmission is a big plus!

I would have a mechanic look at it, and if he thinks it's good, and the price is right, I'd get it.
So would a Corolla be a lot cheaper to maintain? Didn't realize that. I've been looking mainly at Civics and Corollas. Haven't seen a Corolla at the right price and condition yet.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfountain View Post
you left out one vital piece of information.... How much is the owner asking for this civic?
$2500.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:20 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,852,517 times
ANY car with over 200K miles on it could just stop running around the corner. The fact that is clean and well maintained is a good sign. Does this car have a timing belt? If yes, make sure to know if it was changed on time and when is it due for the next change ($$). Have a mechanic check the car; brakes, clutch, engine compression/etc. Sadly, $2500 does not get you much nowadays. Up to ten years ago, I used to buy cars with 100K miles on them (Corolla/Camry etc) in good condition with less then that amount. Everybody thought that at 100K miles a nuclear bomb would go off in the car and it would self destruct.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:26 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,079,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtintype View Post
So would a Corolla be a lot cheaper to maintain? Didn't realize that. I've been looking mainly at Civics and Corollas. Haven't seen a Corolla at the right price and condition yet.
I don't think you'd see a noticeable difference in maintenance costs between a Civic and Corolla. Those are probably the two most comparable (mainstream) cars from different manufacturers available.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:28 PM

I can spend up to 4000 I'm just not finding anything decent even going higher. Or if they are decent they seem to disappear within hours and since I need to arrange for a mechanic I lose out on the better deals. I plan to drive whatever I get until it dies and then buy something new. Just not in a position to buy new right now as I'm finishing up a last term of school and want to be in a job for 6-12 months before getting saddled with a monthly payment.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:44 AM

1,022 posts, read 1,971,758 times
Is it an ex lx or dx That car is worth 2k At best..

If its an ex, 2k max
Lx 1500-1800
Dx 1200-1500. Never mind that. I wouldn't even buy it.

But at this price point. It's just another beater and for some people it doesn't matter the model. To me it does. I want the most for my money, it makes it easier to resell.

Don't just get any mechanic, you need someone who is familiar with Hondas.

By now the suspension,bushing, etc are worn and shot. If its been replaced, you re in luck..

You need to look for oil leak., valve cover gasket, distributor o ring. These are minor, can be a DIY.
Check at the bottom oil leak, If its on the driver side, the middle or the back of the engine. These are your big ticket item.. That only gets worse. Til you fix it.

Check clutch feel and play. Drive it, make sure it doesn't crunch when u shift into 2nd and 3r

Ask them, when the t belt /water pump been replaced, it needs replacement every 100k. At 200 it needs one. This is your big ticket item

If all the above has been done. Maybe 2k max.

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura