Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 08:58 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,885,783 times

Advertisements

If you had read the story you would have seen there are no "Minor Modifications..!" Several of these guys had over $10k invested...! For $10k, you can go really, really fast....
As far as a Honda doing 137, it's not even a reach for these modded cars to reach that in a 1/4 mile. Go to a drag race some time and see how fast these rice rockets are. The make quick work of hot rod V8's...!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 09:16 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,340,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
If you had read the story you would have seen there are no "Minor Modifications..!" Several of these guys had over $10k invested...! For $10k, you can go really, really fast....
As far as a Honda doing 137, it's not even a reach for these modded cars to reach that in a 1/4 mile. Go to a drag race some time and see how fast these rice rockets are. The make quick work of hot rod V8's...!

I've seen a lot of 4 bangers hand their a$$ to a lot V8 guys.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:26 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,084,813 times
I'm sure it's very possible,but I didn't think a Honda Civic could run 137 mph if it fell off a huge cliff.....137 TRUE mph is flat ripping and 95% of the population have never actually reached that speed except in urban legends and BS sessions over a beer or cup of coffee.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:31 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,084,813 times
Quote:
Sometimes you're the bug and sometimes you're the windshield.

YouTube - World's fastest Powerstroke

Old 02-20-2009, 09:34 AM

78,435 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
Yeah, they are light as heck so if you throw in enough power...zoom zoom.
However, some cars just aren't meant to go near 140 safely...<gulp>
I hope he added some stuff besides just under the hood.

Then again, I'm a big wimp...I haven't even gone >125 yet and my fun car has a top speed (stock) of 195ish....lol.

A ricer (18 or so and illegal immigrant) killed a local football coach here on the interestate about 1-2 years ago...I'm not looking to do 3-5 in the state pen.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:34 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,899,456 times
Quote:
Oh not this rice vs. muscle care debate again. First of all I read the story and it said nothing of modifications, it simply didn't have that detail (except for tinted windows).

Second of all it is a GREAT REACH to have a Honda or ANY CAR, including most muscle cars, put down 137 mph as a trap speed in the 1/4 mile. Yes I participate in drag races and I see the one or two ricers hit that speed - they are truly respected and I would not call them ricers but a car enthusiast who knows his craft. They aren't kids with the fart pipes and intakes, that's for sure. 137 MPH in the traps for an even lightweight car would require about 500 horsepower and be a 10 second car. That's a dedicated race car right there. Even difficult for an V-8 without power adders. Since Honda's are about 120 HP at the wheels you would need some extreme modifications to get to the horsepower rating, and lots and lots of money. It's been done, but these cars are not street driven cars after these modifications and for the money you spend you can be 3 or 4 V-8 10 second cars. I doubt $10k would do it, maybe $50k, more likely $100k.

Now to get 137 MPH on a 5 mile or so stretch of highway is not that difficult, you probably need about 250 horsepower depending on weight and a car without factory installed RPM or speed limiting devices. Most V-6 cars, many V-8 cars, but very few V-4 cars can without power adders (exceptions will be the turbocharged Suburus and Mitsu's). Can a cheap shot of nitrous do it? Maybe if it was an SI model.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:37 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
the FMV of my civic just went up.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:39 AM

29,503 posts, read 14,663,209 times
I'm not condoning street racing, I will say it's been a part of our culture for years.. maybe since the 50's. So I highly doubt it will be going anywhere anytime soon. Back in the 60's some of the D3 actually had factory backed "street racing" cars. They did thier R & D right out on Woodward Ave.
I've seen many a street race in downtown Detroit.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:49 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,899,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
I'm sure it's very possible,but I didn't think a Honda Civic could run 137 mph if it fell off a huge cliff.....137 TRUE mph is flat ripping and 95% of the population have never actually reached that speed except in urban legends and BS sessions over a beer or cup of coffee.
Well it's like every so often you get the threads "what's the fastest you ever been". Then the BS comes out. Truth be told is that speedometers are wildly innacurate at those speeds. I agree 95% have never been at those speeds even if they think they have. If you do, believe me you would know it - it's truly scary. When you slow down your hands shake, you sweat, and you promise yourself you would never go that fast again (until you get the next urge to push the limits).

Old 02-20-2009, 09:57 AM

3,564 posts, read 5,516,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
I've seen a lot of 4 bangers hand their a$$ to a lot V8 guys.
Maybe. But the rice burners prob had 10K or more in them whereas the V8s probably on had exhaust and maybe intake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura