Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2010, 09:25 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,524,353 times

Advertisements

I had contracted for new floor tiles to be put down in the downstairs of my house and the new tiles were delivered today, for installation tomorrow. These are Mannington tiles.

Anyhow, when they arrived, I found they are made in China and I simply won't use those unless I have to. The contractor assured me they were American made, but that turns out not to be the case.

So, I've been doing some internet research for American made tiles and I've found that Daltile has a line of glazed porcelin tiles which are made in America.

My question is this: Does anyone have those on their floors? Are they appropriate for living areas or are they just for bathrooms and laundry rooms?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 11:31 AM

600 posts, read 3,448,477 times
I'm assuming these are ceramic or porcelain tiles? If so, they should have a minimum PEI rating of 3, which is suitable for any residential application (floor or wall) and includes a light commercial rating as well. The PEI rating is available from the vendor or on the Mannington website. Here's the breakdown:

PEI Class 1 Rating (No foot traffic) - Recommended for wall use in residential and commercial applications only.
PEI Class 2 Rating (Light traffic) - Recommended for both wall use and bathroom floor applications only.
PEI Class 3 Rating (Light to moderate traffic) - Recommended for countertops, walls and floors where normal foot traffic is expected.
PEI Class 4 Rating (Moderate to heavy traffic) - Recommended for all residential applications as well as medium commercial and light institutional.
PEI Class 5 Rating (Heavy to extra heavy traffic) - Recommended for all residential as well as heavy commercial and institutional applications.
Without knowing more about the tile you are using, the Mannington product should perform fine.

Regards,
Streamer1212

Old 02-16-2010, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamer1212 View Post
I'm assuming these are ceramic or porcelain tiles? If so, they should have a minimum PEI rating of 3, which is suitable for any residential application (floor or wall) and includes a light commercial rating as well. The PEI rating is available from the vendor or on the Mannington website. Here's the breakdown:

PEI Class 1 Rating (No foot traffic) - Recommended for wall use in residential and commercial applications only.
PEI Class 2 Rating (Light traffic) - Recommended for both wall use and bathroom floor applications only.
PEI Class 3 Rating (Light to moderate traffic) - Recommended for countertops, walls and floors where normal foot traffic is expected.
PEI Class 4 Rating (Moderate to heavy traffic) - Recommended for all residential applications as well as medium commercial and light institutional.
PEI Class 5 Rating (Heavy to extra heavy traffic) - Recommended for all residential as well as heavy commercial and institutional applications.
Without knowing more about the tile you are using, the Mannington product should perform fine.

Regards,
Streamer1212

Thanks for the info. I'm not concerned about how the Mannington tile will perform. I'm irritated that it's made in China.

Old 02-16-2010, 03:13 PM

600 posts, read 3,448,477 times
OOPS! I thought you were asking about the performance characteristics of the Mannington tile. My bad. Any glazed porcelain should fall into at least Class 3, but more likely in Class 4 in terms of technical performance. Dal Tile has been around for a long time, and I would trust their product with no hesitation.

Yeah, I've been in the ceramic tile business for 32 years, and have watched our industry move or purchase their products everywhere in the world. Mexico, Italy, Turkey, China, South and Central America.....that's where all the tile production has gone.

Crossville Tile has a huge plant in TN. as does one other porcelain mfr., Florim USA. Daltile and American Olean still make some tile in the U.S., but most of their stuff is imported now.

Regards,
Streamer1212

Old 02-16-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamer1212 View Post
OOPS! I thought you were asking about the performance characteristics of the Mannington tile. My bad. Any glazed porcelain should fall into at least Class 3, but more likely in Class 4 in terms of technical performance. Dal Tile has been around for a long time, and I would trust their product with no hesitation.

Yeah, I've been in the ceramic tile business for 32 years, and have watched our industry move or purchase their products everywhere in the world. Mexico, Italy, Turkey, China, South and Central America.....that's where all the tile production has gone.

Crossville Tile has a huge plant in TN. as does one other porcelain mfr., Florim USA. Daltile and American Olean still make some tile in the U.S., but most of their stuff is imported now.

Regards,
Streamer1212

Yeah, I found that out as I explored options. Sadly, since this is an insurance job and the contracts have already been signed, it's too late to start over and I'll just have to accept the Chinese tile. I don't like it one bit, though.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:51 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,980,249 times
Alas, with companies looking at profits over people, more and more building materials that has historically been domestic are now imported.

With that said, the ceramic floor tiles I'm using for my bathrooms/laundry/hallway are brand-less but made in the USA (Texas). I bought them at the Home Depot for 77 cents/sq.ft. So made in USA stuff is still out there , but one does really have to look for it now instead of just relying on the company's heritage.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:07 PM

1 posts, read 4,176 times
Smile hello

hello,all
nice to meet you.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:13 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,406,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Yeah, I found that out as I explored options. Sadly, since this is an insurance job and the contracts have already been signed, it's too late to start over and I'll just have to accept the Chinese tile. I don't like it one bit, though.
Just wondering, do you have something against the hardworking people who made the tile and shipped it to you? Or do you doubt the quality of the tile?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House