Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 12:52 PM

450 posts, read 5,022,833 times

Advertisements

I need to recarpet the second floor of my new house. The current carpet is in pretty bad shape. As I am of a "green" mindset, and also b/c of allergies/asthma, I want a carpet that has the least amount of off-gassing/smell. I can't stand "new carpet smell" and once had to get rid of a brand new cat tree that arrived in a box b/c the new carpet smell (cat trees have carpet on them) was too overwhelming and caused respiratory symptoms.

I love the look and feel of Berber carpet, but am unsure how badly that smells.

I have been to a few carpet stores to research and see what's available but beyond recycled bottle cap carpets, which does not sound appealing, I am having trouble researching what would be the best option.

I hear cork is good for flooring but our first choice would be a carpeting of some sort, as I feel that's better for bedrooms (cozier).

Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 02:02 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
Polypropylene (pp)
PET (used bottles)

pp- 100% pp which would mean the backing also. Is good carpet, and I've never really noticed any off-gassing. I've used rugs outside that were 100%pp and they have held up well. There was some fading- guess you can't have everything!

Old 06-28-2010, 04:49 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Read somewhere about 100% wool carpets with no chemical off gassing... kinda expensive.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:23 PM

93 posts, read 685,919 times
The off-gassing is normally gone in a few hours.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:26 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass101 View Post
I need to recarpet the second floor of my new house. The current carpet is in pretty bad shape. As I am of a "green" mindset, and also b/c of allergies/asthma, I want a carpet that has the least amount of off-gassing/smell. I can't stand "new carpet smell" and once had to get rid of a brand new cat tree that arrived in a box b/c the new carpet smell (cat trees have carpet on them) was too overwhelming and caused respiratory symptoms.

I love the look and feel of Berber carpet, but am unsure how badly that smells.

I have been to a few carpet stores to research and see what's available but beyond recycled bottle cap carpets, which does not sound appealing, I am having trouble researching what would be the best option.

I hear cork is good for flooring but our first choice would be a carpeting of some sort, as I feel that's better for bedrooms (cozier).

Any advice?
Pick up a copy of "Natural Home" magazine there are plenty of retailers in it that sell all-natural carpet without any noxious off-gassing fumes.

I don't blame you that urea smell is horrible. Have you ever gone into a Crocs store? It's enough to make your stomach turn.

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-28-2010, 10:25 PM

854 posts, read 4,141,646 times
Samfloor, a few hours? No way. I have the same issue as the OP. I can't walk past cheap rugs at Target. They STINK. My parents got one and it let off smells for at least a year. Nobody living there noticed it anymore, but every time I visited, there it was. Same as burying your face in them at any store.

New carpets are the same problem. My eyes water, my throat burns. My body screams "POISON" and it lasts for about a year.

Bass, very interested in what you find, and how you like it. Old carpet in my house will eventually have to go away... unsure of what we'll do exactly, too.

Old 06-29-2010, 04:48 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samfloor View Post
The off-gassing is normally gone in a few hours.
Huh? My house had new carpets installed in February 2009, a few months before I bought it. You can still smell the off-gassing every once in a while. I am like the OP and hate that smell, it makes me sick. I am currently saving up to have the carpets torn out of every square inch of this house and have the wood floors underneath refinished or new floors laid.

I have never found a carpet or vinyl product that did not reek.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:02 AM

450 posts, read 5,022,833 times
The problem is that the current carpet is completely unusable--it is in very bad shape. Needs to be ripped out. So I feel in a bind. I'd prefer carpet, as it is cozier, but at the same time I want to choose the best option for respiratory health. Makes things difficult.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:41 AM

93 posts, read 685,919 times
It's the latex that causes the off-gassing. You will have to search for a carpet with no latex. I talked to a carpet dealer friend of mine yesterday and he wasn't aware of any, but had never had anyone ask before. He said to contact the carpet mills. Many of the woods, laminate, engineered, etc. use even stronger adhesives and so may have stronger smells. So do some vinyls and linoleum.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:49 AM

41,963 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Wool is probably your best choice.

You can ask the dealer to unroll and air out any carpet before installation, but that's no guarantee that the dealer will actually do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House