Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 09:04 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times

Advertisements

Yep the more complicated the molding the higher the price. The main disadvanatge in MDF is weight and more difficult to hang an because of its weight. Jointed clear wood is very stable and preferred for crown like dental etc or muti pieces to be painted. The material cost are indeed cheap compared to a skilled installation.Simpler one piece look fine in lower 8ft-10 ft ceilings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2010, 09:44 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times
A good carpenter can throw up the molding quickly and fill the gaps with caulk. After painting you'd have to inspect very closely to know. And as the purpose of the molding is decorative rather than structural what difference does it make?

Old 07-24-2010, 10:10 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
In my first home, a post WWII rancher, we put up a simple 1" wood strip in all the bedrooms at the top of the wall where it met the ceiling. Not a crown molding, but it did mimic the trim around the set-in closet doors and cupboards and added a little something to the place.

In my current 1970's rancher we put crown molding in the master bedroom and the living room. It is meant to highlight those areas and it would be overkill to have it everywhere....the place is just too small and some parts, like the hallway where all the bed/bath doors converge, would be overwhelmed.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:52 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,347,484 times
Well, obviously, not everyone likes it, that is why "everyone" doesn't do it!

I do love it myself, and am hoping to have it installed in my dining room at least at some point. And the living room. And wherever else I can afford to put it.

Love it! Don't have it now. Don't know when I am going to get it.

Lol at the comment that you can just DIY. A I have learned from my father, who is a master worker in all things related to the home, carpentry, plumbing, electric, you name it, he can do it (or learn how), nothing just gets "slapped up there". If you want shoddy looking work, go for it, otherwise the simplest little project can turn into something else entirely..... It takes time to get things done right.

Old 07-25-2010, 01:03 AM

3,113 posts, read 8,376,539 times
Crown molding is very popular in brand new houses in Southern California - it's a staple!

Old 07-25-2010, 05:20 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,043,847 times
I like crown molding in most rooms (even small rooms including bathrooms) but the size of the moldings should be scaled to the room as others have mentioned. I also like deep baseboards - it looks a little off to have thick crown molding on top and teeny little baseboards below. My husband has learned to cut and install crown molding expertly - it takes practice but isn't that difficult. We have fairly traditionally furnished rooms in a traditional style home so crown molding works well.

Old 07-25-2010, 06:12 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass101 View Post
I was at Lowe's today and saw their huge selection of crown moldings. I never knew it was just strips of wood you could nail into the wall yourself. I had always thought it was some sort of special material and very high end--very expensive. But it just looks high end, when in fact it's pretty cheap to buy, and can be a DIY project.

Anyhow, I'm just wondering why more people don't do this. When we were looking at houses for many months before we bought our current house, we noticed very few houses had crown moldings at open houses. Why not just put them in every room--they look so nice and are so inexpensive. Can anyone shed light on this situation?
1.) Some people don't like them.
2.) Some rooms are difficult to install them in due to the way they're built.
3.) Some people would like them but lack the DIY skills to install them; it's harder than you think.
4.) Etc.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:01 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,929,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
A good carpenter can throw up the molding quickly and fill the gaps with caulk. After painting you'd have to inspect very closely to know. And as the purpose of the molding is decorative rather than structural what difference does it make?
If I'm paying a skilled carpenter to install crown or any other trim, I don't want to see gaps filled with caulk. Caulk is used to hide work not done right when it comes to joints.

Old 07-25-2010, 12:42 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
That is why you hire a fiish carpendter to do such finish work.They not only have the tools but teh skills consatntly used to do such work. Especailly if you installig clear finished hardwood molding.

Old 07-25-2010, 03:09 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,929,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
That is why you hire a fiish carpendter to do such finish work.They not only have the tools but teh skills consatntly used to do such work. Especailly if you installig clear finished hardwood molding.
Sorry, but a skilled carpenter will not have gap joints filled with caulk, which is what the other poster was suggesting.

Caulking is good for running a bead along the top and bottom of crown, where it meets the wall and ceiling to fill the small gaps and shadows, which will give it a nice clean, finished look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House