Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2011, 10:43 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,270,321 times

Advertisements

I'm with you GreenScout -- I think crown molding is a very formal look.... I have original picture molding all over my house, so I'm used to seeing stuff up there

But there are plenty of places where it wouldn't be appropriate.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 12:37 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
The Op is definitely wrong on crown mlding being easy to inswtall. I have loo at alopt of new homes and the molding even in white pint was not done verywell. It takes some skil to install and do correctly.

Old 04-29-2011, 06:20 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,701,557 times
I have crown moulding in my kitchen. The kitchen renovation was a DIY project over 3 months (ripped the room down to the studs entirely - new wiring, plumbing, flooring, etc etc). From all of my other renovations, I learned a lot when it came to working with wood.

However, I paid a professional to do the crown moulding. It was a finishing piece and if done improperly, it would look horrible. The job wasn't cheap. All the moulding (3 pieces, plus one piece for under the cabinets) was ~750-1000. I had a pro do the install for $325. I consider that some of the best money I've spent.

Now, I have a few more areas I'd like to install crown moulding, but I'm not sure I have the skill. I installed all the baseboard moulding plus quarter-round after I re-did the floors. While it looks very good, that is "simple" in comparison. Coping baseboard to make it "look pretty" is not too bad since it has a simple pattern. However, crown is a different beast.

Old 04-29-2011, 10:54 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,579,381 times
Most of our downstairs has crown molding - installed by me. It wasn't easy - particularly the first room that I did. I made a lot of mistakes that cost me big time until I finally got the angles correct and got it up. It looks pretty good if I do say so myself :-)

We have a colonial so I think its appropiate looking. Certain houses, like a contemporary I wouldn't think it would go with the style of home. Our living room and dining rooms are "formal" so I actually used some simple corner blocks which look nice and made the job of install much easier. The family room, kitchen and powder room I did the angles/coping in the inside and outside corners and so those rooms were a bit more challenging.

We have 8 foot ceilings and I think it looks fine - so I do not think you need 11-12 foot ceilings to put crown in. Thats a bit silly. The size of the molding is the same as the size of the door and window casings so I think it all goes together well. People ask me all the time if it was there when we bought the house or if we added it...

Old 04-29-2011, 11:46 AM

1,788 posts, read 2,483,283 times
Crown molding may attract dust in dry environments.

Old 04-29-2011, 04:03 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,084,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmybirdie View Post
I am thinking about adding crown molding to the newly painted kitchen and family room.

Looking at my rooms, do you think it would look nice with crown molding?

Many thanks,

The architecture of the house doesn't lend itself to runs of crown molding.
But those cabinets could sure use some nice heavy crown- maybe even in a contrasting color (for a contemporary look). "desertsun" can pop in here for more clarification- And yes, I remember the thread about the cabinets- but that was color and finish.

What's up with all the blue tape!(?)

Old 04-29-2011, 06:18 PM

936 posts, read 2,083,945 times
Others also told me that I shouldn't add crown molding to my house because of the slanted ceilings. Is this true? What is your reason for advising me against having crown molding?

I painted the kitchen and took the picture before removing the paint tape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
The architecture of the house doesn't lend itself to runs of crown molding.
But those cabinets could sure use some nice heavy crown- maybe even in a contrasting color (for a contemporary look). "desertsun" can pop in here for more clarification- And yes, I remember the thread about the cabinets- but that was color and finish.

Old 04-30-2011, 07:37 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,371,397 times
I think crown moulding is what differentiates between a home and a box. But I don't think it's so easy to install. I know that I hated my crown moulding until the painter showed up and wielded his magic with caulk, primer and paint and then it looked like furniture up there against the ceiling.

Old 04-30-2011, 01:26 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,839,619 times
It dpeends on the style of the house and the year it was built or at least the period in which it is decorated. Some houses/periods/styles are not amenable to crown molding. Just like picture rail, chair rail and 16" turned baseboard molding makes sense and looks beautiful in some houses or rooms and would look stupid in others. It varies.

Old 04-30-2011, 03:20 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,054,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post

LOL That's the first thing I saw also.

I had a kitchen install after Katrina, cabinets, appliances, counter tops, etc.

The day we delivered our materials the owner walks me through the house bragging about her new crown molding. My brother and I look up and bust out laughing and asked her who did the install.

She hired a few illegals to install it and they nailed it flat against the ceiling and told her it should be installed like picture frame material.

Anyway we start unpacking our cabinets to install and noticed there were no outlets, gas line for the stove or oven, and no plumbing. So I question the homeowner and she says that everything is behind the drywall and that we just have to cut it out. I told her that we would not even think about trying to locate everything that was covered up.

I asked her who did the install and who told her to cover everything up. I knew what she was going to say before she opened her mouth. The same guys that installed the crown molding installed the drywall.

And that ain't the best part. The kitchen was completely rearranged and none of the outlets, plumbing or gas lines were moved, they just left them where they were and covered them up telling her that whoever installs the cabinets, appliances, etc. would move them.

She had to remove all the drywall and relocate all the plumbing and electrical then reinstall and finish the drywall.

I asked her why she used these guys and she said because they came in at about a quarter of the other bids she received.

In the end it cost her double to do the job if she would have used a professional contractor.

busta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House