Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 11:32 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,237,781 times

Advertisements

There is some good laminate out there, don't let people that don't know what they are talking about sway you, do your research. Now, I do have older pergo type floor, that came with the house, and yes, it sucks lol, so ,like I said, do your research first, a good laminate will save you a lot of money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 03:09 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,999,979 times
I just got done installing a house of laminate for two reasons, no three. First, I have termites in this house so wood is out. Second, I have three pets so wood is out. Third, it really looks like the real deal and was 99 cents a square foot. My house is 2300 sq ft with some tile, and doing a bit over 1400 sq ft didn't cost me over $5k.

I've had wood floors in the past but did not have termites and my pets were pretty good about no accidents. I'm in a different situation now and think the laminate looks just great. It's got the whole wide plank and wood grain look to it. I'm very happy and it's easy to maintain.

While I think real wood adds value to a house, the laminate is much better than what I had, so I am very happy with it. The one thing I will never have in a house again is carpet.

Old 12-21-2010, 05:22 AM

1,853 posts, read 9,688,401 times
If you have termites, wood flooring is the least of your worries.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
If you have termites, wood flooring is the least of your worries.
And to this I would say, there is a saying in the state in which I live. There are two types of houses - the ones that have termites and the ones that will.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:09 AM

107 posts, read 285,402 times
Is there a particular brand name you suggest? I like the Mannington Heritage Cherry. Any suggestions?

Old 12-21-2010, 10:55 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,346,667 times
not sure I undertand the termite comment. far I I see it, they're not there for the wood floors, mostly they're there for the wood house. termites are a fact of life in my area, but that doesn't stop people from haviing wood floors, for 1, your subfloor is wood, and your laminate, is made most likely from some type of wood fiber.

plenty of people have pets and wood floors.

I'd vote for hardwood looks better and adds value. it really depends on your budget and the space you're putting it in.

I wouldn't mind if i finished my basement to have laminate or a playroom, but woudl prefer wood in the living room and dining room

Old 12-21-2010, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisk327 View Post
not sure I undertand the termite comment. far I I see it, they're not there for the wood floors, mostly they're there for the wood house. termites are a fact of life in my area, but that doesn't stop people from haviing wood floors, for 1, your subfloor is wood, and your laminate, is made most likely from some type of wood fiber.

plenty of people have pets and wood floors.

I'd vote for hardwood looks better and adds value. it really depends on your budget and the space you're putting it in.

I wouldn't mind if i finished my basement to have laminate or a playroom, but woudl prefer wood in the living room and dining room
I was told this house was most likely built on a termite bed or something or other. I've had termites under the carpet and had to have holes drilled in the concrete to get rid of them. Clearly hard wood would not have been the way to go in my case.

However, in any other circumstance (and without my pets), I'd always go with real wood. It adds value.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:17 PM

367 posts, read 1,074,134 times
In the battle of laminate vs. hardwood, I have one more scenario:
What about heat resistance - expansion and contraction? Is one less affected than the other? I live in the desert and if the AC blows out one summer day and I am not home... the house will quickly get 100+ degrees warm. Something inert or really low expanding like tile would be ideal, but I would prefer the warmer look of wood. Any suggestions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House