Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 09:52 AM

1,632 posts, read 1,849,576 times

Advertisements

My detectors went off for no reason ( I know of anyhow ) a few months ago, it set off all three in the house in the middle of the night, went off came back on again. Not just beeping the whole alarm, I had the fire dept come Check them the next day, batteries were all good, but they did replace them just to satisfy me, all quite for a month, then went off again during the day but just for 2-3 min then stopped .

Is there another reason why this could have happened, I do expect it to happen again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 09:57 AM

5,120 posts, read 16,594,883 times
In previous posts here, I've learned that dust from new construction or remodeling can do it.

Any help here?

Old 02-12-2014, 10:05 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,284,410 times
Read the directions which came with the detectors and see what all can set them off.

With some detectors, spiders or small bugs can set them off. Others may detect carbon monoxide or chemicals. Maybe smoke from a fireplace. Some detect high heat or a rapid rise in heat (could be a problem near a woodstove or fireplace).

So depends on the specific model and the type of detector(s) it has built in.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
In previous posts here, I've learned that dust from new construction or remodeling can do it.

Any help here?
The fire men did say spiders can set them off ? After I heard that I dusted them off good more than once, but they went off again about a month later but just for a short time.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
Read the directions which came with the detectors and see what all can set them off.

With some detectors, spiders or small bugs can set them off. Others may detect carbon monoxide or chemicals. Maybe smoke from a fireplace. Some detect high heat or a rapid rise in heat (could be a problem near a woodstove or fireplace).

So depends on the specific model and the type of detector(s) it has built in.
I wouldn't have the directions, what would they be able to tell me anyhow

Old 02-12-2014, 10:10 AM

Can you tell us the specific brand / model number?

Old 02-12-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supplies View Post
I wouldn't have the directions, what would they be able to tell me anyhow
Fully read directions for things you purchase (and save those directions) and you will learn all sorts of good stuff!

Many times directions have troubleshooting tips for example, something which might help you in this case.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
Can you tell us the specific brand / model number?
Nope, just took a look, nothing's written on it, it's just a plain ordinary white plastic one like others I've seen

Old 02-12-2014, 10:18 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,866,126 times
My smoke alarms did that, and I heard others in the neighborhood doing the same thing. The builder said the alarms had to settle, which didn't make a lot of sense, but they did stop going off randomly after we'd been here about a year.

If your smoke alarms all go off together, they're most likely wired into the house current and they will make a different noise, just a single chirp, when the batteries need replacing. For some reason, they always start that chirping nonsense in the middle of the night.

There was one night when our power went out because of a storm. When it came back on, all of our smoke alarms were going off and the only way we were able to shut them off was by taking them all down and taking the batteries out...if we unplugged one, took its battery out, then put the battery back in and reconnected it while the others were going off, it just started going off again. It was a memorable night because our ceilings are 10 feet and it's not easy to get to the smoke alarms.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:21 AM

If the fire department installed them, perhaps they have a copy of the instructions you could have and from that learn the brand / model?

Anyway try vacuuming them. That can help with some detectors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House