Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 03:21 PM

1,502 posts, read 7,379,603 times

Advertisements

Would like any information on your thoughts of venting a dryer out into the garage. I am wondering if it will harm our vehicles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 04:11 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janipoo View Post
Would like any information on your thoughts of venting a dryer out into the garage. I am wondering if it will harm our vehicles.
That isn't likely to be minimum code compliant but I'm having trouble imagining a serious and likely danger to your vehicles from exhausting your dryer into the garage. I can think of some problems that your garage may have, but not cars so much.

Old 09-27-2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
That isn't likely to be minimum code compliant but I'm having trouble imagining a serious and likely danger to your vehicles from exhausting your dryer into the garage. I can think of some problems that your garage may have, but not cars so much.
That is what I am thinking too, our garage is drywalled. Our exhaust now is vented out the roof and there is something wrong. We had the engineer out from our home builder but it still takes hours to dry clothes. I purchased and LG front loader pair and just replaced them with another set due to the issues and the dryer is getting error messages that states there is a kink or blockage in the venting line.

Old 09-27-2010, 04:38 PM

37,108 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janipoo View Post
My dryer is vented into the garage. The only problem is lint blowing into the air. I have a gadget that connects to the opening in the wall and blows lint into a bucket of water. Similar to this: DEFLECTO LTF LTF Aluminum/White Plastic Lint Trap Kit @ AntaresPro.com

The biggest problem is remembering to refill the bucket with water.

Old 09-27-2010, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
My dryer is vented into the garage. The only problem is lint blowing into the air. I have a gadget that connects to the opening in the wall and blows lint into a bucket of water. Similar to this: DEFLECTO LTF LTF Aluminum/White Plastic Lint Trap Kit @ AntaresPro.com

The biggest problem is remembering to refill the bucket with water.
I think this is what the service guy was telling me about. Does your clothes still dry quickly with it being vented into the water and I was wondering if you have humidity that builds up in the garage?

Old 09-27-2010, 05:39 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Default Why not run the vent THROUGH the garage?

Most garages have two if not three exterior walls.

I ran my MIL's dryer vent through the garage to the far side exterior wall. Works fine. An extra bend of ductwork is a heckuva lot better than having a lot of pretty messy and potentially unsafe lint around...

Old 09-27-2010, 08:08 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
It'll increase the dewpoint in the garage. If you have colder winters it will allow moisture to form on everything that is below the dewpoint. In the long run it could be detrimental to your garage area and cause all sorts of problems. In all cases you want to get moisture, or water, as far away from the structure as you can.

Heat, and moisture, are the number one killers of structures.

Old 09-30-2010, 03:52 PM

Who would I call to get someone to come out and investigate our line now? I know my neighbors have the same floor plan and don't have an issue. Right now It is vented through the roof, we have a 1 story so it is going through the attick. The service guy says we have to have a dip or something that is holding water and causing the problem.

I just replaced a 3 year old LG Steam washer and dryer set thinking it was the dryer not drying and the heating sensor kept going up on it. But my new set is getting errors that there is a problem with venting and it takes hours and I mean hours to dry clothes.

Old 09-30-2010, 04:13 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
Quote:
504.6.1 Maximum length: The maximum length of a clothes dryer exhaust duct shall not exceed 25 ft (7620 mm) from the dryer location to the outlet terminal. The maximum length of duct shall be reduced 2½ feet (762 mm) for each 45-degree (0.79 rad) bend and 5 feet (1524 mm) for each 90-degree (1.6 rad) bend. The maximum length of the exhaust duct does not include the transition duct.
Exception: Where the make and model of the clothes dryer to be installed is known and the manufacturer’s installation instructions for such dryer are provided to the code official, the maximum length of the exhaust duct, including any transition duct, shall be permitted to be in accordance with the dryer manufacturer’s installation instructions.
http://www.dryersolutions.com/assets...er-imc2003.pdf

Old 09-30-2010, 04:21 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,216,670 times
I did it for 2 years....not a good idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House