Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 08:59 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times

Advertisements

nice house. here's my comments:

1) not a fan of white cabinets
2) no good space for TV - except if you mount over fireplace but need to worry about temperature
3) LOVE the tray ceiling in master
4) master is on the small side for a house that size
5) it's a ROYAL PITA to clean the ledge above the front door - if you have kids, you'll have stuff thrown up there all the time. i know, i had one - we had a pair of boys underwear up there for 6 months!
6) bedroom 3 on the small side
7) LOVE the bonus room!
8) the aquarium is a cool touch!

bottom line, it all comes down to price. people here are still pricing as if it's 2005! is there a basement?

eta: i didn't read the other responses, i thought this was a house you were looking to purchase...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 10:43 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,022,785 times
What a great idea posting pictures of your home and asking for feedback. When I finally put my house on the market I think I'll "steal" your idea and do this myself. Okay now for comments.

I agree with everyone you need to do something to soften the exterior and i thought the back looked unkept. flowers, shrubs will really help and if you have it some nice patio furniture and maybe 2 potted plants to show a path from the patio to the lawn.

It looks like you have some kind of fish netting as decoration in front of the two story window. very distracting.

If you can remove the aquarium. As a "buyer" i do not like it and immediately started to think how much is it gonna cost me to fix that.

Very nice kitchen.

The built-ins around the fireplace do not match the fireplace surround and they do not look very "sturdy".

Love the fireplace.

Wall colors very nice.

LOVE the master tub!

besides being outdated they (light fixtures) don't match (look gold in the pictures while everything else is silver).

The office/work out room was very crowded and the small tv made me wonder if I could get a nice armoire to even fit in the room because of the ceilings. You might want to consider removing the gym equipment and tv and setting up the room as an office.

good luck with the sale of your home.

Old 07-10-2007, 11:05 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,936,557 times
I have not read through all the posts above me, so sorry if these points have already been mentioned. Also - I'm blunt, but I'm just giving my impression:

- The chandelier in the front entrance has to go. Total builders special

- Too much "stuff" around the fire place and book shelves. Pack it all up and put it away. Leave a couple of bowls / statues etc on them so it doesn't look too empty. If you don't have any - hit a thrift store. Don't leave any books out, buyers look at the titles and stop focusing on your house.

- Get rid of all the personal items from the bathroom. Nothing grosses me out more than looking at a house and seeing a razor in the shower or soggy soap. Toothbrushes and toothpaste go bye bye too.

- Open the shower curtain in the guest bathroom. Makes the room look bigger, plus it's gross to have to pull it back to see what terrors are lurking behind. Might be nothing, so show buyers your nice clean tub / fixtures.

- Take the black safety cover off the fireplace. It hides it.

- Move the loose rug from the side of the bed. No rugs on carpet. Buyers will think you are hiding a stain.

- Bathroom lighting and fixtures need to be updated. I can't tell you how much I hate builder’s special stuff. If you can swing it, change the lights, mirrors and faucets.

- Everything needs to go from the office desk. Just a computer on the desk, all the rest gets hidden. Also, the frilly flowery valance is terrible. Again, no rugs on top of carpet. You will scare people that the carpet is worn out.

- Too much clutter in the kitchen. Nothing functional on the counter except maybe a microwave. No pans, teapots etc.

- Back yard needs sprucing up.

Ok that is all I can think of right now. Sorry to sound so mean, you have done a great job keeping most areas clean and neutral. It's just the little things that will help sell your house over your neighbors.

Old 07-10-2007, 02:40 PM

13 posts, read 56,099 times
Default Liked it

of course you might need to change some things like the aquarium if the new owners want you to, but I liked the house. Maybe I am not as picky because I have been looking at houses lately and there are always things you don't like about any house.I think your colors are ok, the kitchen is nice, the oriental rug is fine. Just get it really clean. I missed the price though,how much were you thinking? In my area this would be about $360,000.

Old 07-10-2007, 03:42 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,427,295 times
The aquarium I didn't give much thought, I like fish but if you don't want it, it's an easy fix. For less than $50 in supplies it's gone. Frame it in and stud it with cripples, a little drywall, mud, and sand (wet sponge) prime paint and done. No more aquarium. For the record I like built in aquariums and have a 375 gallon built in myself. But I designed it so that if you didn't want it, it'd be easy to change into a bar. The 6 P's - Proper Planning Prevents Pretty Poor Performance. Ok pretty isn't the right word but this is a family forum, fill in with the correct urine P word.

Old 07-10-2007, 03:47 PM

323 posts, read 1,969,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happee View Post
Please Click Here to view pictures and let me know what your first thoughts are about this house.
Nice enough in a large, suburban cookie cutter sort of way though the half brick/half vinyl look would stop me from even going inside. It's sad to me that the style doesn't speak of where it is - it could be in Kent, Washington as easily as Georgia. OTOH, if I had a large family without a lot of money I'd be thrilled to find something like this.

I can't really comment on the furnishings and such - I rarely notice such things unless they are VERY clunky and these don't appear to be. Beyond that we hired a professional to stage our place in Tacoma and what she came up with seemed very strange to me. It sold within the first week, though, so I'd say that her instincts were probably better than mine

Old 07-10-2007, 04:04 PM

3,295 posts, read 9,189,032 times
Quote:
not a fan of white cabinets
I'm not either but it's ALL I could find down here. Seems to be a regional thing. Liz

Old 07-10-2007, 05:13 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,753,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happee View Post
I don't believe we're in a high end custom neighborhood, I'd say it is somewhere in the middle. Homes in our neighborhood range between 150k -210k depending on the features they have.

Builder grade and all, that place would be $600k-$750k here. I know I live in an overpriced market, but my original comments assumed you were in a $300k-$500k neighborhood. Maybe its my crazy market bias, but at that price point, I wouldn't sink too much in. I'd still focus on "upgrading" the lighting. And by upgrading, I don't mean spend a ton, just some nicer stuff from Lowes. And maybe a bit of landscaping to increase curb appeal. Then, just some really cheap stuff like decluttering and painting over the accent walls.

Old 07-10-2007, 05:20 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,753,766 times
One more thing, I noticed a couple people commenting on the mirrors int he bathroom. If you are (or someone in the fam is) reasonably handy, you can buy some trim molding from the depot and frame the existing mirrors. Google MirrorMate to get some ideas.

Old 07-10-2007, 09:02 PM

18 posts, read 77,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubytue View Post
One more thing, I noticed a couple people commenting on the mirrors int he bathroom. If you are (or someone in the fam is) reasonably handy, you can buy some trim molding from the depot and frame the existing mirrors. Google MirrorMate to get some ideas.
Just googled it and love it.. will definitely give it a try.. quite inexpensive but will be a great addition... Thx rubytue!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House