Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 10:49 PM

713 posts, read 3,440,487 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the help so far. At the moment the room is to dark to see into so I can't give that information, will do so in the morning. The 'ground' is a green wire but also in the back of the mess is an older bare copper twisted wire. Twisted in the sense that there are two wires that are bare and have been twisted together with a yellow top so do not know if this is one of the bare wires you mentioned.

Will hook it up in the morning after getting last bit of feedback
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 07:28 AM

713 posts, read 3,440,487 times
Could not find the specs on those units so went ahead on hooking it up. Works like a charm Thanks for the help!! I did not hook up the ground wire since it did not reach the screw on the other side.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:56 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,248,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
This doesn't make any sense. It really looks like you have a rotary dimmer in-line with a buck toggle and I can't say that I know how they would independently control a fan and lights... Honestly, the only thing I can think of to reconcile this is that someone took it apart and couldn't remember how to put it back together, then took a picture and so on...

There must be something happening in that box that the pictures are not showing...
the hot is looped around a fan switch terminal and then continues on to the dimmer. pretty standard practice.

as for the current draw of the ceiling fan, 90% of standard ceiling fans draw 70 watts on high speed.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:07 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,812,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
the hot is looped around a fan switch terminal and then continues on to the dimmer. pretty standard practice.

as for the current draw of the ceiling fan, 90% of standard ceiling fans draw 70 watts on high speed.
He broke it down for me in the next post, I just couldn't get there without seeing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House