Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2011, 02:14 PM

158 posts, read 379,615 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in learning the difference in price and look for solid wood maple cabinets versus veneer front/door cabinets. I'm looking at Kraftmaid for now just for baseline purpose. Any info would be appreciated.

Matt
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 03:16 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,027,504 times
In amongs these threads-
https://www.city-data.com/forum/searc...rchid=26708186

I'm sure you'll find your answer. desertsun41 has done several comparisons and inside details of cabinet construction. No reason to reiterate what's already been written.
Happy reading!

Old 01-26-2011, 05:29 PM

Thanks, but the link doesn't show results. I am a big fan of Desertsun's posts. I just wanted to get some other people's perspective and experience.

Matt

Old 01-27-2011, 04:26 PM

1,534 posts, read 4,260,528 times
I recently went through the same considerations - maple veneer versus solid maple - for my kitchen and choose the solid wood option. The price difference between veneer and solid with the cabinet maker (Brighten Cabinets) was about 10-12% as I recall. There are cost differences within veneer options as well, it depends on the specific door you are looking at.

Our choice was based primarily on esthetic/appearance factors as well as my interest in avoiding veneer construction and having plywood frames as opposed to MDF or pressed board. You can easily access Brighten (as well as other lines) through Cabinet Discounters website Cabinets Annapolis | Kitchen Cabinets | Maryland | Countertops | VA | DC.
Hope that helps.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:49 PM

Thank you, that was informative. What other cabinet companies did you consider?

Matt

Old 01-29-2011, 07:20 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,314,971 times
Some of your consideration should be: what price range is your total home in and how long do you expect to stay there? If it's a pricey home and you'll stay there decades, get the best solid hardwood you can afford. If your property is more of a starter-home and you anticipate selling in 5-7 years, just opt for something that will hold up to wear you intend to give it. Most homebuyers, particularly less experienced ones, look at cabinets in a pretty superficial way.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:45 PM

1,534 posts, read 4,260,528 times
Matt,
Sorry for the delayed response, we're traveling (in Costa Rica at the moment). I looked at most of the major off the shelf brands available in my area (Maryland), somewhere north of 20 brands as well as seven custom outfits. A major factor for us was the ability to get some custom fit stuff which the off the shelf folks don't offer.

In general, I found that the custom suppliers were not much more expensive than the box stuff and it made a big difference in the wife's happiness factor.

Case in point, KraftMaid doesn't offer a 5.5 inch mini cabinet, it would meant a spacer and wasted space. Brighten did a 5.5 mini at a very reasonable price which was perfect for pizza/cookie pans = happy wife. They also did some other non-standard size stuff for us that really made the kitchen look 1st class.

I spent a lot of time analyzing the cost/benefit of the project (I did cost/benefit analysis professionally for decades) and generally can say that the custom suppliers are a good option. In the final analysis, get what you (and more importantly, the wife) like and stay within your personal budget and your neighborhood values. Jukesgrrl gives good advice. Luck to you.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:23 PM

Hi Pilgrim,

Thanks very much, that's great information. I probably should focus on the overall plan and seek out a designer/kitchen company that we are comfortable with. The layout will steer us towards custom or semi-custom cabinets.

Matt

Old 02-10-2011, 04:33 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,047,178 times
Don't forget your local cabinet makers. The most beautiful cabinets I have ever seen (my friend's kitchen) were made by a local cabinet maker at a price that was basically the same as the semi-custom cabinets that my kitchen designer ordered for us.

Old 02-10-2011, 05:14 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,356,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsuggestion View Post
Hi Pilgrim,

Thanks very much, that's great information. I probably should focus on the overall plan and seek out a designer/kitchen company that we are comfortable with. The layout will steer us towards custom or semi-custom cabinets.

Matt
When I sold my house 2 years ago, buyers remarked how much they liked the kitchen. It had 30 year old custom cabinets and a custom, handmade maple butcher block countertop. Great quality + classic styling = longevity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House