Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2011, 08:00 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,139,900 times

Advertisements

I recently invested a significant amount of money on a new garbage disposal for my kitchen sink. With the electrical work, plumbing work, and the disposer itself, the final cost was almost $800. We got the Insinkerator Batch-Feed 3/4 HP model. What items should I definitely not put into the disposer? I assume things like bones are probably bad, even though I read online that this model can handle some bones. Is there any routine maintenance I should do to keep it running smoothly?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 10:07 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Smaller bones while making a huge racket shouldn't really harm it. Having said that we never put bones in them because it took long to grind. Same thing with peach pits. Occasionally we might have thrown in some chicken bones.

The only advice I can give you is make sure you run it often, don't let a lot of stuff accumulate. The issue is getting a clogged pipe. We had one for about 25 years, the only probelem it ever gave us was when some idiot() tried to grind up a whole head of leafy lettuce that went bad. It clogged the pipe.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:12 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,530,555 times
Get in the habit of running it with the water running for at least 30 seconds after all is ground.
Also, with it OFF....( !!!!!! ) Take a paper towel, some gloves on if you prefer, and pull up the rubber flange and wipe the bottom of it. Gunky stuff can accumulate under that and start to stink.

Also I like running some citrus rinds in it every so often to keep it smelling ok. You can also put ice cubes and vinegar in it to chop up. The ice cubes "scrub" the insides and the vinegar helps clean, etc.

Remember, do not ever stick your hands in there without the power being off.

Frank

Old 02-20-2011, 11:29 AM

22,564 posts, read 47,614,734 times
My plumber told me that the worst offenders are celery and tea bags. He makes a nice sum from people that put those down the disposer, because the strings get wrapped around and stall it.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:30 AM

1,174 posts, read 6,941,851 times
Another thing to remember is to never run the disposal without the water running. Even if you're not grinding anything, if you turn it on be sure the water is already running through it. When you turn it off, don't shut off the water until the disposer stops moving.

The ice cube suggestion is also a good thing to do. Another suggestion would be to grind lemon peels or orange peels in it after your're done with everything else. Although it's probably a cosmetic thing, it'll leave the disposer/sink fresh smelling.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:58 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,852,517 times
We just try to think we don't have one for the most part. Remove all the trash from the bottom of the sink and put it in the trash can. Run the disposer once in a while just to prevent it from rusting in. Why would I want to put sludge in my sewer line.

Old 02-20-2011, 01:03 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,776,857 times
800? You got screwed big time. Grapefruit peels will actually clean the blades and keep it running smoothly. It's actually called a "disposer" and for some reason those that call it a "dispos-all" are frequently the ones, who need a new one.

Old 02-20-2011, 03:22 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,588,583 times
Never put Potatoes skins down it or grease ! When we remolded our kitchen we did away with the garbage disposer, we compost these days~~

Old 02-20-2011, 06:44 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
I have one, but don't use it as much as I used to. A conversation with the superintendent of the local wastewater treatment plant changed my mind about disposals, among other things. Why put strains on the sewer plant when I can just compost 99 percent of what goes in the disposal?

That being said, large amounts of leafy stuff -- lettuce, greens, herbs -- will clog, as will large quantities of apple peels, potato peels, etc. Grinding bones and fruit pits is pointless; just throw it away. Any kind of grease is a no-no, but that goes for any kind of plumbing.

I keep the disposal clean with baking soda/vinegar, followed by a grinding of a half dozen ice cubes.

And always run the disposal and clear it before you run the dishwasher.

Old 02-20-2011, 06:50 PM

513 posts, read 896,866 times
scrape your plates in the garbage can first, then run only the small bits down the disposal. food bits will accumulate in your drain lines and can eventually cause a clog. moderate amounts with plenty of water to flush them on down are fine. but don't try to grind up pineapples liek they show on teh commercials, the disposal can handle it but your drains may not!

also if you are on a septic system instead of regular sewer you don't want to run much thru a disposal. some folks say never use one on septic, but it is fine so long as you don't try to run every scrap thru it after every meal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House