Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 06:30 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,706,529 times

Advertisements

I'm with Barking Spider and a few others in this post. The leak is coming from the tank. Could be the gasket between the tank and bowl, could be the gaskets around the bolts that hold the tank to the bowl, or it could be the gasket around the fill valve base. I'm betting on the tank/bowl gasket. A bad wax ring wouldn't explain the 2-3 cups of water, unless there is a combination of a bad ring and a backup in the drain line.

This is fixable with a screwdriver and a pair of pliers if you're even moderately handy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 12:44 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,052,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Hmmm, maybe. I'm more wondering if the seal between the tank and seat might have a problem. The wax seal is more for gasses and two or three cups of water is a lot.

Paper towels on the floor. Have him sit for ten seconds and get up. If one of the towels is wet, try to trace back. If they are dry, have him flush while sitting. If the water is yellow, slap him upside the head. (nautical term)
This is a good point, I have experienced a leak from the tank, most conventional toilets have 2 bolts that hold the tank to the bowl, and, God bless the guy who designed this, the bolts go into holes in the tank, such that the uppermost end of each bolt is exposed to the water in the tank. These are sealed by rubber washers, which do not last forever. They will start out with a very small leak and it will typically "stick" to the ouside of the bowl (capilliary action) - anyway the water will make its way to the floor just outside the base of the bowl.

Could be DH "bumps" the tank leaning back?

If this is the problem, the bolts will be at least damp, the nuts that are exposed under the bowl are probably rusted on pretty bad. If you work carefully they can be worried loose or use a nut splitter. I'd recommend a new set of bolts and washers, with as much of the hardware being brass as you can get. Or stainless.

This may be one of those times you are glad you rent and don't own this place.

Old 03-03-2011, 03:07 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,777,876 times
I think HD sells just the tank for 24.99, they are fairly universal. I'll take rent free living any day of the week, and I won't be waiting on people to make simple repairs.

Old 03-03-2011, 03:17 PM

138 posts, read 511,886 times
the bathroom was remodeled in the last few years, so its not that old. Another thing I have noticed, not sure if it effects the water problem, but this bathroom is on the second floor. A lot of times when you flush it will go to flush and then it won't and you have to do it again and hold the lever down a little longer.
Anyway it sounds like it could be so many things, like I said before getting a plumber. I'll let you know what they say.

Old 03-03-2011, 03:55 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,777,876 times
what type of flooring did they install?

Old 03-08-2011, 10:47 PM

1,846 posts, read 3,938,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut24 View Post
Hello- We have started to have a problem with water on the floor around the toilet. It seems to only happen when my husband has to sit on it. He is obviously bigger then me and my 5yr old, but hes not bigger then he should be. Just wondering what could be causing this, it ranges from just a little bit to about 2-3 cups of water. And its not coming from one spot, the water will be almost all around it, not just on one side. The caulking looks fine. Just wanted to see if this can be solved by us or if we need to call a plumber.
Thanks
I had exactly the same problem, but only at most a half cup. My handyman replaced the wax ring and didn't charge me much at all for it (you don't need a plumber to do this).

Problem solved, for good.

Old 03-09-2011, 05:24 AM

4,705 posts, read 25,293,104 times
2nd floor or flushing problems have nothing to do with the leaks.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:35 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,052,964 times
I found a good video on how to repair and adjust the typical toilet components.

http://www6.homedepot.com/tv/hdtv_pl...800,height=575

Other related project guides here http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...cStoreNum=6570
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House