Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 08:04 PM

4 posts, read 79,070 times

Advertisements

We are going to have a pool built within the next week or so, and are kicking around the idea of adding facilities (toilet and sink only) to our detached garage to keep the kiddos from running back and forth thru the house (and to keep other "stuff" out of our pool!).

I am planning on having the plumber working with our pool builder handle this for us, but since I have NO idea what I am talking about, I thought I would throw this out there to see what kind of ball park I would/should expect.

Attached is a pic of the layout. As you are looking at the pic, we were hoping to put the bathroom in the back left corner of the garage. The pool equipment will be just outside of the same area (figured this would make the most since, since there will be water and probably some sort of a drain back there (again, I have NO idea what I am talking about). The garage has a concrete floor, and the area is on the raised part of the garage, so I would guess there is ~8" (4" rise + 4" floor) on concrete that needs to be punched thru.

Any guesstimates on plumbing only? I can get a cheap toilet and sink @ Home Depot, so this would be rough plumbing only.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Plumbing for a Pool Bath in a Detached Garage-harrison_rev.bmp  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 05:34 AM

4,705 posts, read 25,296,788 times
You will need a sewer connection for the bathroom. The difficulty in getting the bathroom to connect to the sewer will be the biggest issue you will have to deal with.

Old 05-18-2011, 05:50 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
As Barking Spider says the "job" is connecting to the sewer line.
You'll have all sorts of trenching equipment and labor on site that week so it should all go smoothly... if not inexpensively.

On the point of expense... the stuff you'll see (like the toilet) is the easy and cheap part.
---

While you're "having the plumber working with our pool builder handle this"...
have THEM put in a shower stall too.

Allow at least 36 sq ft for this new FULL bath... 6' x6' should be adequate (with one door).

Old 05-18-2011, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
You will need a sewer connection for the bathroom. The difficulty in getting the bathroom to connect to the sewer will be the biggest issue you will have to deal with.
That's what I was guessing, and that is where my lack of knowledge of plumbing stuff comes into play. I just assumed that the pool equipment was going to have some sort of a line that was already going to be run to the main line out front. Is that not correct?

Old 05-18-2011, 07:26 AM

4,705 posts, read 25,296,788 times
Check with your pool contractor. There are different regulations regarding connecting pools to sewer lines. Salt water pools are prohibited from connecting to sewers in many areas. In many areas you have to de-chlorinate the water before it can go into the sewer.

Tell the contractor what you are planning and see if they can accommodate your needs when they do the pool plumbing.

Old 05-18-2011, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
Check with your pool contractor. There are different regulations regarding connecting pools to sewer lines. Salt water pools are prohibited from connecting to sewers in many areas. In many areas you have to de-chlorinate the water before it can go into the sewer.

Tell the contractor what you are planning and see if they can accommodate your needs when they do the pool plumbing.
Gotcha and thanks! Our pool will be chlorine and UV, no salt, but same principle.

I am definitely planning on talking to the pool builder, and his plumber (need to brush up on my Spanglsih a bit though). I was just really looking for some ball parks so I don't get hosed, but it looks like that can't easily be done. I may have an outside plumber swing by and take a look, at least that would give me another number for comparison.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:02 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Questions:

#1 what is code? Few towns will allow any sort of floor drain in the garage these days-- probably need a poured concrete "curb" to separate bathroom from the rest of the existing garage. That would be a good idea even if not required.

#2 What sort of climate are you in? I know that there are many places where an un-conditioned bathroom would be positively gross when it is swimming season. If you live someplace where an unheated garage will require draining down the toilet that is a huge hassle to add to pool closing. I have seen ice shatter porcelain and it is mess.

#3 Resale. A nice true "cabana" will be something that folks that like / want pools will be happy with BUT some half hearted attempt at a minimal accommodation probably will not be seen the same way. MOST BUYERS don't like pools to begin with, you'd be giving them yet another reason to not like your home with a garage that has space taken up with something that will not been seen as a "feature"..

Even if you could do this on the cheap (under $2500 for very basic sewer hook up and framing) my biggest worry is that your property would go deep into the "no sane buyer will consider this". If you have a HUGE oversized garage and could put in a nice cabana with spa like finishes, year round HVAC you could easily spend $10,000 BUT YOU WILL NOT SEE A RETURN ON THIS!! Even in crazy high end areas with HUGE lots the ROI for a cabana is never even close to half. You need a multi acre estate that can support a full-on guest house before the cost even get close to where it makes sense.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Questions:

#1 what is code? Few towns will allow any sort of floor drain in the garage these days-- probably need a poured concrete "curb" to separate bathroom from the rest of the existing garage. That would be a good idea even if not required.

#2 What sort of climate are you in? I know that there are many places where an un-conditioned bathroom would be positively gross when it is swimming season. If you live someplace where an unheated garage will require draining down the toilet that is a huge hassle to add to pool closing. I have seen ice shatter porcelain and it is mess.

#3 Resale. A nice true "cabana" will be something that folks that like / want pools will be happy with BUT some half hearted attempt at a minimal accommodation probably will not be seen the same way. MOST BUYERS don't like pools to begin with, you'd be giving them yet another reason to not like your home with a garage that has space taken up with something that will not been seen as a "feature"..

Even if you could do this on the cheap (under $2500 for very basic sewer hook up and framing) my biggest worry is that your property would go deep into the "no sane buyer will consider this". If you have a HUGE oversized garage and could put in a nice cabana with spa like finishes, year round HVAC you could easily spend $10,000 BUT YOU WILL NOT SEE A RETURN ON THIS!! Even in crazy high end areas with HUGE lots the ROI for a cabana is never even close to half. You need a multi acre estate that can support a full-on guest house before the cost even get close to where it makes sense.
Thanks for the input!
1) Code - I know its allowed, as a buddy is a GC for the home builder in my neighborhood, and it is an option to have the plumbing roughed in when building the house. Unfortunately, we didn't do that so here we are.
2) We are in the Houston, TX area. Not too worried about ice
3) Not worried about resale at this time, but I would venture to say that 50% of the homes in our neighborhood have pools, and quite a few have basic accomodations to go along with them.

In all honesty, I really thought it would/could be tied in with pool system some way, but apparently, I am a little off.

Thanks again for your input!

Old 05-18-2011, 09:46 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
In my experience the kinds of inspections that happen during construction are much less stringent than those happen for renovation / addition. Coupled with the fact that things are much cheaper to do BEFORE everything is sealed up / concrete poured I don't doubt that you would be facing MUCH higher costs to "add-on" a lavatory than to have one roughed-in previously.

Still, as long you know this, it might make sense from the standpoint of keeping dripping wet kids from sending the "nitrogen balance" of your pool off the charts or risking damage to the existing house...

Good Luck!

Old 05-18-2011, 10:49 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,542,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
As Barking Spider says the "job" is connecting to the sewer line.
You'll have all sorts of trenching equipment and labor on site that week so it should all go smoothly... if not inexpensively.

On the point of expense... the stuff you'll see (like the toilet) is the easy and cheap part.
---

While you're "having the plumber working with our pool builder handle this"...
have THEM put in a shower stall too.

Allow at least 36 sq ft for this new FULL bath... 6' x6' should be adequate (with one door).
I wouldn't bother with a shower "stall" in the room. I'd make the whole room a shower stall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House