Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2011, 03:33 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,499,212 times

Advertisements

Hi all:

I'm in the process of running electrical wiring from my house out to 2 shallow well pumps. I've already trenched/buried the 3/4" conduit from the house to the different locations of the wells. From the house to the first well is about 120ft, then from that well, it's about 200ft to the next well. I could have done a shorter run from the house to the 2nd well, but I already have conduit stubbed out on one side of the house, which is where it'll be connected. My intention is to run 10GA wire from the house to the first well, set a weatherproof sub-panel w/ breakers, then run 12GA from there to the 2nd well location. With that distance of wire, should I be using solid or stranded THHN wire? The only "sharp" turns are where the 90's come out of the ground, so the buried conduit is relatively straight.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2011, 03:39 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,739,305 times
I don't know but it seems all the wire I have ever seen used for home construction and improvements as described above is solid. Still, I'll watch the thread to see if I am missing something.

Old 05-21-2011, 03:41 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,499,212 times
Yeah, back in the day, when I wired houses, all the interior residential wiring was solid. But, I'll be buying the individual conductors on a spool and pull them through conduit. I vaguely recall pulling wiring for well pumps, etc, in buried conduit, but I can't remember the reasoning behind solid VS stranded, especially when pulling long distances.

Old 05-21-2011, 03:48 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
stranded wire will be easier to pull through conduit.
price is about the same
the choice to use one over the other is usually about which is in the truck that day.

as to the 200ft + 120ft run... the issue to be concerned about is voltage drop
for that reason... I'll suggest that verify the actual draw (and drop) or just use 10ga wire for it all.

Last edited by MrRational; 05-21-2011 at 04:09 PM..

Old 05-21-2011, 10:05 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,374,939 times
Solid.

Stranded wire is used in situations where the wire can be under regular flexation. Extension cords, zip cords, and the like are examples.

Wire that will be in a fixed position is better off solid.

The actual electricity flows along the surface of conductors, so you might think stranded is superior in most cases - however solid wire is much better at heat dissipation and longevity, because it doesn't heat to the levels that corroded individual strands can under load. It just doesn't flex well without crystallization and breakage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House