Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 11:50 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,010,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
1) it's good peace of mind if you have a new house (new homes are more susceptible to termites).
How do you figure?
New homes are built with more insect resistant materials, composite (plastic, PVC) materials, and just plain ol'- you can't eat that materials (concrete) than ever before. Even the termite systems used today are probably better (I personally don't like bait systems) than what was used 20yrs ago.
So, explain how they are more susceptible.(?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 08:26 AM

563 posts, read 3,742,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
How do you figure?
New homes are built with more insect resistant materials, composite (plastic, PVC) materials, and just plain ol'- you can't eat that materials (concrete) than ever before. Even the termite systems used today are probably better (I personally don't like bait systems) than what was used 20yrs ago.
So, explain how they are more susceptible.(?)
I have to agree. Besides it seems that the newer homes CAN have a termite resistant treatment done under the slab before it is built. Not always done of course but with that it makes a new home much more resistant than an old one.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:35 PM

1 posts, read 3,206 times
years ago they used rough cut wood and brushed a creasoak chemacal on it . plus the chemical they used then were better then them today. the houses are build so fast today that the slabs and foundations crack on them where termites can enter the houses.there is a good chemical out there called termidor which is the best out there now days. it realy depends on your water around your house. it washes the chemicals away. if you have a contract on your house your better to keep it.

Old 10-02-2009, 12:58 AM

1 posts, read 3,057 times
I live on an island called Cyprus and I have an american style (wooden) house. I have detected termites on the basemants concrete wall a hole full of termites. Is it possible that there are elsewhere termite nests especially in the wood behind the gypsboards? Since we do not have proffesional companies for this problem I need proffesional advice for what to use and how and if there is a non toxic treatment because of the kids living in the house. Can I order the products online? I would really appreciate any advice.

Old 03-14-2012, 05:42 PM

1 posts, read 2,402 times
Lightbulb the rest of the story

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlv311 View Post
We recently purchased a home and learned that the previous owners treated the crawl space and deck for termites in 2004. They kept an annual warranty with the termite company, which we have been offered to continue. Since the treatment took place, there has been no evidence of termite problems. How long is it advisable to keep these annual warranties? Thanks.
the idea of having a temite renewal is somewhat like having an assurance policy. You pay an annual premium after the POST TERMITE TREATMENT 1 year warranty expires. EVEN though the colony is totally eradicated your home can be reinfested by a totally differant colony. Either by ground foraging of a new colony feeding through your ground or by the annual swarming of a colony that is well established near by. If you can swap a small annual premium forthe assuance of being protected wouldn't you want to do that.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:24 PM

10,833 posts, read 14,927,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
You really need that yearly inspection. If you don't have it, by the time termite damage is seen, you could be looking at serious damage and expense. Those little boogers can eat fast!!

Our bond states that if any infestation is seen, retreatment is done without any cost. That would save a bundle.
In my part of the country, deep south with lots of termites, everyone I know has termite warranty's.

Around my area termites can do an unbelievable amount of damage in one year.

My warranty is about $150/year. As long as I pay it it will never go up.

It's not just a piece of paper but part of my warranty is a termite inspection where they crawl about under the house looking for termites.

If termites are found they are treated free of charge and all termite damage is repaired at no cost to me whatsoever.

As far as my annual fee as long as I pay it it never goes up. A lady at the bank got her house from her dad who passed the warranty on to her. Her annual warranty and inspection is $28 which was what it was 50 years ago.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:34 AM

4,281 posts, read 12,663,203 times
All

Our last two homes were new construction with several termite prevention things done by the builder plus a one year bond from a nationally known company. It cost me $175.00 a year to continue the bond which includes one home inspection a year. In SC and living on a pond, it is needed.

I did check with several local companies and they both said well they would have to do a some kind of startup treatment (no matter new and the builder had the national company do whatever) for $500.00 or so then they wanted about $300.00 per year for the bond. They turned me off real quick.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:17 AM

1,123 posts, read 6,536,088 times
Agree with the guy who said there are tons of loopholes many of these companies throw into their contracts to get out of repairing damage. Bait stations are probably the biggest waste of money and don't really work. Best bet is a termador perimeter treatment which is pricey, but lasts for 10 years. The company I use does an annual inspection using thermal imaging cameras to detect infestations (the cool temp of the mud nests will show on the camera) combined with acoustic equipment, and I've found this to be the best approach so far (I am a termite-phobe). Termites are a very real threat, as each of us in high humidity areas probably have anywhere from 5-20 colonies living on our lot...there is nothing like watching your first termite swarm out of an old stump in your yard and watching them clumsily bang into the side of your house!

Old 03-27-2012, 11:19 AM
SXN

350 posts, read 1,288,974 times
Anyone know what the ball park costs would be in South Florida? I'm being quoted around $1460 for the initial first year termite inspection and preventative treatment for a 2500 sqft home. Would cover both subterranean and dry wood termite. Also, mentioned something 1MM in coverage if there was damage to the home from termites.

Is the price reasonable of way too much?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House