Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2011, 11:31 AM

1,322 posts, read 4,236,259 times

Advertisements

has anyone used paver stones from lowes or home depot for building a patio? some professionals have advised that they use cheap pavers that may crack faster than a brand such as unilock or cambridge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 11:38 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,538,403 times
I put in some about 2 years ago and they've held up well. The stones were roughly 4"x6"x2-1/2", solid and heavy. They also have some there that are less than 2" thick, which probably won't hold up as well.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:58 PM

102 posts, read 601,618 times
I built a patio around 10 years ago using the cheapest Home Depot pavers I could buy - they were the red rectangular ones that had a cinderblock texture.

The patio held up well and none of the pavers split. However, I had a very good base of sand and gravel underneath. If you do not properly prepare the patio base, you are more likely to see cracked pavers.

The only thing reason that the patio is not around anymore is because I added on to where the patio was.

Price wise, the big box stores are competitive with the stone yards. One of the big differences though is that you can return the extra pieces you have back to the big box store. Not so much with a stone yard. At least that's my experience, for what it's worth.

Last edited by TyroneBiggums; 08-24-2011 at 01:59 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-24-2011, 02:00 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,772,216 times
I have, worked out fine, with a good level base.

Old 08-24-2011, 02:46 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Home Depot and Lowe's concrete paver stones are very good. They are the same as the ones you find at most landscaping supply outlets and usually are cheaper in price.
The landscaping supply stores do have a larger selection or variety to choose from. I've used the HD and Lowe's pavers for over 20 years and never had a problem with them.
As said before, the base prep is the key to successful paver laying. Most of the pavers I've installed were on 1-1/2 to 2 inches of paver sand.

Old 08-24-2011, 04:29 PM

302 posts, read 2,230,961 times
I wouldn't worry about them cracking. The finish will wear off of any pavingstone, exposing the aggregate. And then they start to look ugly.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:04 AM

1,123 posts, read 6,535,704 times
I have never priced out the manufactured paver stones, but I can say that if they are priced like their pallets of real stone you can do WAY better going to a rock yard in your area. At least at my HD, the prices are double what I can pay if I just drive about 20 min. north to a very low key rock yard which also sells several brands of manufactured stone products. They also deliver the next day in many cases for a very fair price. Just saying I would check around first before settling on the big box stores.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:27 AM

1,322 posts, read 4,236,259 times
well the main reason that i want to use lowes or HD is so that i can finance the purchase. plus all the coupons out there i can save some more $. yea i know, you get what you pay for. but im not exactly "rollin in the dough" if you know what i mean.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:52 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,344,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Lion View Post
well the main reason that i want to use lowes or HD is so that i can finance the purchase. plus all the coupons out there i can save some more $. yea i know, you get what you pay for. but im not exactly "rollin in the dough" if you know what i mean.

I don't know about Home depot pavers vs stone yards. I do know that different brands are different qualities. the guy who does my masonary work uses Cambridge. He says Unilock is good too. He doesn't like Nicholok and I forget one other. basically it was the solidness of the block and how well it held up.

I found a lot of things at Home depot, if you're buying one, it is probably cheaper there. if you're buying pallets of stuff, the lumber yards are cheaper. And some things at home depot are actually significantly more expensive.

Perosnally, I'd go to the yard for something like this. or if you're hiring someone to do this, I'd think they'd want to, and they should supply the materials.

Old 08-25-2011, 04:55 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Lion View Post
has anyone used paver stones from lowes or home depot for building a patio? some professionals have advised that they use cheap pavers that may crack faster than a brand such as unilock or cambridge.
If you are not driving an automobile across them it shouldn't be a problem, the loads and wear & tear is so low I've never seen one crack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House