Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 02:39 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,153,672 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know how this type of toilet float works? I hear a hissing sound and there is constantly water flowing into the toilet. The tank overfills and water starts going down that white tube. I can't figure out how to stop it.
Attached Thumbnails
Toilet filling question-img-20110912-00014.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 02:48 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,091,640 times
http://home.howstuffworks.com/toilet.htm

When the float is up it should push the metal rod up until it shuts off the valve. The postion of the float on the metal rod can be adusted to regulate how full the water gets before it is shut off. If it is overflowing the top of the white overflow tube, slide the float position down on the metal rod.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:12 PM

I tried adjusting the float position, but no matter the position the water continues to keep filling. I'm guessing there must be a broken seal somewhere that is causing the water to not shut off. Time to call a plumber I guess...

Old 09-12-2011, 03:17 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,091,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
I tried adjusting the float position, but no matter the position the water continues to keep filling. I'm guessing there must be a broken seal somewhere that is causing the water to not shut off. Time to call a plumber I guess...
In some models the filler valve does have a rubber diaphragm inside of it that can go bad and on some models can be replaced. Turn the water valve off at the wall before you try removing the cap on top of the filler valve. If it is all one piece you will have to replace the complete flush valve. They are not expensive unless you hire a plumber to do it for you.

See this other thread about how to replace a flush valve. It is not hard to do. Toilet tank water is spewing UP and OUT

Old 09-12-2011, 03:51 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,431,256 times
If you're the kind of person to call a mechanic when a tire needs to have air added then by all means get a plumber, but I have learned (from years of owning my own homes and leasing out properties) that something that costs under $25 bucks to "do it myself" is generally NOT worth troubling some professional over -- head over to your local True Value and get a Brasscraft AntiSiphon Toilet Tank Fill Valve and Flapper Kit for like $15. Spend the 10 minutes to read the well written instructions. Turn off the water and unless you are the least handy person in America you ought to have the whole thing buttoned up in far less than two hours.

Good Luck!

Old 09-12-2011, 04:05 PM

235 posts, read 1,579,024 times
Its a Fluidmaster 400 ballcock. Easy to replace, go to a plumbing supply house or if you prefer HD or Lowes. Pick up a Fluidmaster ballcock. All you need to do is shut the valve off. There is a plastic ring on the stem under the float , pull it up and slide the upper part w/float off and install the new one. When you buy one you will see what I am talking about. Shoot me an email if you have questions..

Old 09-12-2011, 04:08 PM

34,100 posts, read 83,032,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
...and get a Brasscraft AntiSiphon Toilet Tank Fill Valve and Flapper Kit for like $15.
But what about the two 400A's I have on hand waiting to be needed?

Faucet & Toilet Repair
looks like a fine product Chet

4,918 posts, read 22,690,917 times
As said, replacing the entire thing is very easy. Just take your time to get to know the instructions that come with the kit. The only gatcha you may have is if the shut off valve to the toilet won't shut off and replacing the valve ends up being replacing valve and shut off. But a local handyman can do all that for little money over what a licnesed plumber would charge.

48,502 posts, read 96,902,805 times
Lookig at that taqnl stainig its proably vhraper to replace the float system that is avilable at Lowes ecct. The value itself can get bad from the minerals in the water.Ceetainly cheaper than callig aplumber as the value such as that have very easy to follow instructions.

Old 09-12-2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESPLUMBING View Post
Its a Fluidmaster 400 ballcock. Easy to replace, go to a plumbing supply house or if you prefer HD or Lowes. Pick up a Fluidmaster ballcock. All you need to do is shut the valve off. There is a plastic ring on the stem under the float , pull it up and slide the upper part w/float off and install the new one. When you buy one you will see what I am talking about. Shoot me an email if you have questions..
Thanks for the tip. I see what you mean and this may all be easier than I thought. I'm planning to go to HD tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House