Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 08:37 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,917,274 times

Advertisements

I've already put away quite a few four-packs of the 60w GE Reveal bulbs we like to use. I'd like to get up to about 75 or 100 bulbs. That should get us through for quite awhile.

I only have a few of the bulbs we use for the light cans in the ceilings. I need to start acquiring more of them before others start doing the same and driving prices up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 07:19 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
We have lots of storage space, so I am thinking that if I could get 10,000 or so incandescent light bulbs,
First of all I am suspicious of anyone who says they have "lots of storage space". Anyone who has "lots of storage space" lives alone and would not be using the plural "we". But just supposing you do my thought is that they will invent something new that people actually like and you will be stuck with 10,000 or so incandescent bulbs.

Better to invest in wholesome Halloween costumes to sell on Ebay if you have "lots of storage space".

Old 11-06-2011, 07:34 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
I have been stocking up on incandescent bulbs for over a year. The Chinese just announced they are phasing out all bulbs over 100 watts and then, the lower wattage bulbs and will cease manufacturing them altogether - by 2014, I believe (or perhaps it was 2016 for ceasing manufacturing on the lowest wattages).

There is a link b/n the strobe-type effect CFLs have and migraine headaches, for sufferers like me who have a problem w/ any sort of strobe effect triggering a migraine or migraine syndrome effect (halos around eyes, blurred vision, etc). So it doesn't matter to me what anyone has to say about CFLs, their effectiveness, shelf life, environmental impact, etc. My own personal space becomes a battlefield w/ these lights. I know - I have tried them. I am doing what I need to do to stay comfortable and avoid migraines and vision problems.

I really appreciate the suggestion of storing in apple (or banana!) boxes - thank you. Also - I agree - I like GE lightbulbs.

I would suggest getting orange bulbs, too.

Old 11-07-2011, 04:51 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
Almost all the bulbs in my house are CFL's. I wonder how much I am really saving using 13 watt CFL in place of 60 Watt regular bulbs. CFL's cost significantly more and I don't care what they say.... they do not last 7+ years. Dimmable CFL's are even more expensive and never seem to work right.

DW hates the CFL bulbs, but I keep touting how much energy they save. (ie; Ceiling Fan that has 4 bulbs is only 52 Watts with CFL VS. 240 Watts). I am beginning to think about only using CFL's in lights that stay on overnight (Hall ights for the kids) and replacing the others with regular bulbs. LED's are way too expensive right now.

Am I saving money with CFL's when you consider how much more they cost per bulb?
Google "energy star light bulb calculator." CFLs are better in places where they stay on long periods of time. Replaced over 100 incandscents which stay on for an average of 8-9 hours on a photocell and have only had to replace 1 so far in 1 year and 4 months.

Old 11-07-2011, 06:43 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
I just got some halogen light bulbs at Sam's Club. We have a light fixture in our kitchen, over the table, that is on a dimmer so we can't use the CFL's in it. I tried LED's-HATED them. These halogens are very nice though. The fixture is rated to take 4 100 watt bulbs-which is WAY too bright. I put in 4 60 watt equivalents and it is just right. The lighting is just like that of the incandescent too. They get warm like an incandescent but not AS warm, not even close. I just touched the bulb, the light has been on for 2 hours and it is warm but not burn your skin warm.

It said on the package that it was a little over $5/year to run these bulbs and they cost about $1/bulb.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:19 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,125,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Google "energy star light bulb calculator." CFLs are better in places where they stay on long periods of time. Replaced over 100 incandscents which stay on for an average of 8-9 hours on a photocell and have only had to replace 1 so far in 1 year and 4 months.

There is not a single bulb in/on my house that stays on for 8 - 9 hours continuously. Yes, I am that much of a "turn off that light" guy. Okay, not true. If any light gets close to being on that much at a time in a day it would be my kitchen, which used Tubes. lol

DW would be very happy to go back to regular bulbs.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:04 AM

228 posts, read 740,505 times
The government should not be banning Incondecent light bulbs that isn't their job. I have about 20 60W bulbs which should last until the new LED lights become more affordable. I only use them with dimming fixtures.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:01 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
First of all I am suspicious of anyone who says they have "lots of storage space". Anyone who has "lots of storage space" lives alone and would not be using the plural "we". But just supposing you do my thought is that they will invent something new that people actually like and you will be stuck with 10,000 or so incandescent bulbs.

Better to invest in wholesome Halloween costumes to sell on Ebay if you have "lots of storage space".
This is a bizarre bunch of assumptions. Where do you get your data?

I live with my wife and five children (sometimes one of them is away at college), plus an occasional exchange student, plus an overnight guest of one of the kids almost as often as not. We still have lots of storage space. We have over 1000 feet of storage space in the unfinished part of the basement, at least 500 more in the attic over the kitchen/mudroom, plus another 700 feet or so above the cariage house. There is also attic space in the older part of the house, but we do not use it becuase it is dirty, however we could use it in a pinch. Oh we also have 9 shelf units and a complete kitchen cabinet set up in the garage part of the carriage house, plus some overhead storage. I do not think we are going to run out of storage space any time soon.

But hey since you are the authority on everyone and anyone, I must be imagining all those people in my house. You must be right, I actually live alone. That is the only possible way that I have have all this extra storage space.

If someone comes out with something new, that works and fits into existing light fixtures and functions with motion sensor switches, dimmers and in enclosed fixtures and fits reaily into vintage/antique light fixtures, I sill still have a lifetime of incandescent bulbs that I like very much. If they do not come out with something new, I will end up with no workable light bulbs and have to re-wire my house and install modern light fixtures that I do no like (or try to buy reproductions that I cannot afford). I prefer the former risk over the latter.

10,000 may be excessive. We have around 200 light bulbs in our house I would guess. Some of them get little use and will probably last 5 or mroe years. Others get replaced several times a year. Some are flourscent (tubes or CFLs) a couple are sodium vapor or mercury vapor. Still I think we would probably use 100 incandescent bulbs a year. Maybe that is high. I really pay no attention to how long they last. I just replace them when they burn out unless I am testing different types in a particular fixture. CFLs certainly last much less than a year in most fixtures where we use them. I am gradually changing back to incandescent as the CFLs burn out. Hopefully I will get an idea of their life span as I begin stockpiling incandescents. If we use 100 per year. I will probably be dead in 50 years, so 5000 should be plenty. We sometimes see huge supplied of light bulbs at auctions when lighting shops or janitorial places go out of business. With any luck, I can probably get incandescent bulbs at fifty cents or so - at least until the supplied begin running out and everyone scrambles to buy them up.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:04 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattrick View Post
The government should not be banning Incondecent light bulbs that isn't their job. I have about 20 60W bulbs which should last until the new LED lights become more affordable. I only use them with dimming fixtures.
They should not have banned toilets that you can clear with a single flush, but they did. Some one must have had a buddy who manufactured those flush twice toilets, that have been mandatory for the past several years. Maybe the legislators just wanted to get into the black market smuggling in Canadian flush once toilets. Maybe the government thought they would make moeny charing for water use by mandating the flush twice toilets. Who knows. However the fact that they should not do something, os that it makes no sense has never stopped government from doing those things in the past.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:40 PM

228 posts, read 740,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
They should not have banned toilets that you can clear with a single flush, but they did. Some one must have had a buddy who manufactured those flush twice toilets, that have been mandatory for the past several years. Maybe the legislators just wanted to get into the black market smuggling in Canadian flush once toilets. Maybe the government thought they would make moeny charing for water use by mandating the flush twice toilets. Who knows. However the fact that they should not do something, os that it makes no sense has never stopped government from doing those things in the past.
Instead of concentrating on reducing government, spending, fixing the tax code,and reducing our trade deficit. They are too busy reglating toilets, light bulbs, and washing machines. What a bunch of elected losers.... We should fire them all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House