Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 06:47 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,725,989 times

Advertisements

I have had a Bissell and switched to the Hoover. Like Suzyq, I found that the Hoover dries much better and far outcleans the rental machines. It also picks up about twice as much water as the rentals. I have the one (I believe it's the Hoover Silver), that has the row of 5 rotating brushes. Some of the others out there have a scrubbing "roll" like a vacuum cleaner, but if your belt breaks, you have to pick up a replacement. Okay, so you might have to empty/refill your tanks, if you have to put down a lot of solution. The nice thing about these machines is that the machines and new/old solution tanks don't weigh very much. It's no big deal to empty/fill them. Make sure you get one that has a couple of attachments for them as well. An upholstery attachment and possibly a crevice type attachment as well. That way, you're able to do your furniture AND your cars, getting down into the little crevices in the car is nice!

I think that owning your own shampooer is a life saver. Think about it, you can clean your carpet at your convenience, clean it more often to keep stains at bay, clean up spills immediately, and do one room at a time, if you so choose. I use Spray & Wash w/ resolve for stains (waaay better than most carpet stain removers) and also sometimes just use white vinegar w/ water, depending on the degree of dirtiness. Another nice thing about owning your own, is being able to keep your throw rugs clean. Just don't forget to vacuum thoroughly and often!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by family first View Post
Sounds like pros are the way to go. Curiousity...how much per house or square foot or room would be an average rate. I know it will differ from locals, but what are you seeing out there?
I completely disagree! You can pick up the Hoover + cleaning solutions, probably for less than hiring a pro. You will then have your own carpet cleaner. They work great! Just remember to get one with scrubbing heads. The great thing about owning your own, is that you pay once...and the carpet cleaner never leaves!

Old 11-07-2011, 08:48 AM

37,109 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
I have had a Bissell and switched to the Hoover. Like Suzyq, I found that the Hoover dries much better and far outcleans the rental machines. It also picks up about twice as much water as the rentals. I have the one (I believe it's the Hoover Silver), that has the row of 5 rotating brushes. Some of the others out there have a scrubbing "roll" like a vacuum cleaner, but if your belt breaks, you have to pick up a replacement. Okay, so you might have to empty/refill your tanks, if you have to put down a lot of solution. The nice thing about these machines is that the machines and new/old solution tanks don't weigh very much. It's no big deal to empty/fill them. Make sure you get one that has a couple of attachments for them as well. An upholstery attachment and possibly a crevice type attachment as well. That way, you're able to do your furniture AND your cars, getting down into the little crevices in the car is nice!

I think that owning your own shampooer is a life saver. Think about it, you can clean your carpet at your convenience, clean it more often to keep stains at bay, clean up spills immediately, and do one room at a time, if you so choose. I use Spray & Wash w/ resolve for stains (waaay better than most carpet stain removers) and also sometimes just use white vinegar w/ water, depending on the degree of dirtiness. Another nice thing about owning your own, is being able to keep your throw rugs clean. Just don't forget to vacuum thoroughly and often!

And the Hoover brushes are removable, making it easier to clean bits of fur and hair out of them.

I cannot use anything with Resolve on my carpet --- it takes the color out. I had a hard time convincing DH not to grab the dish washing liquid. That is really hard to completely rinse out and will leave a sticky, dirt attracting residue.

I must admit that I have become less obsessive about cleaning as I have gotten older. I do not move the furniture and clean the carpet in an entire room very often. Doing the high traffic areas keeps the floor looking good.

The type and quality of the carpet makes a difference. I would never have Berber --- very hard to clean. Mine is a better quality pile and cleans easily.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:57 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
I completely disagree! You can pick up the Hoover + cleaning solutions, probably for less than hiring a pro. You will then have your own carpet cleaner. They work great! Just remember to get one with scrubbing heads. The great thing about owning your own, is that you pay once...and the carpet cleaner never leaves!
Exactly! I have been doing my own carpets for aout 25 years - spent a lot of money on an Electrolux carpet cleaner back in the early 80s - and would still be using it, I suspect, but it was "lost" during a move. I have owned several machines - and agree that the Hoover is my favorite at this point in time.

I have had commercial companies in every few years and always ended up feeling I would have done better on my own.

I also have a "little green machine" for quick clean ups.

PS> I use Spray N Wash for stains - but just noticed this last bottle says "Resolve" on it . . . so don't know what is up with that. The Spray N Wash smells the same and seems to work the same as the other bottles I have purchased for years so the "Resolve" reference on the bottle is a bit confusing . . .

Old 11-07-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Exactly! I have been doing my own carpets for aout 25 years - spent a lot of money on an Electrolux carpet cleaner back in the early 80s - and would still be using it, I suspect, but it was "lost" during a move. I have owned several machines - and agree that the Hoover is my favorite at this point in time.

I have had commercial companies in every few years and always ended up feeling I would have done better on my own.

I also have a "little green machine" for quick clean ups.

PS> I use Spray N Wash for stains - but just noticed this last bottle says "Resolve" on it . . . so don't know what is up with that. The Spray N Wash smells the same and seems to work the same as the other bottles I have purchased for years so the "Resolve" reference on the bottle is a bit confusing . . .
LOL...same here! I used the Spray & Wash, and then, last year, picked some up and it now says w/resolve. I thought the same thing....why?

Old 11-07-2011, 09:46 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,858,315 times
Those of you who use *Spray and Wash*, what is the ratio of cleaning liquid to plain water ???

@ Suzy-Q:
Can you remember which parts of the Bissel broke ?
So I can keep an eye on them !!

So far, our Green Machine, keeps moving from house to house.
Amazingly, it is still in the *original* box it came in, except there is tons of Duck tape on it ...
Meaning with 4 kids, all living in their own homes, that machine gets used all the time.

When *we* bought it, the kids paid the same fee as they would have renting one from the Grocery store,
for the first two times, until everybody paid *their share*.
Now after three years, we feel, we got our moneys worth ....

For some weird reason, we have found that *our* bottles of cleaning fluid,
*disappear* at the same time *the kids* use the machine ...
Oh well ... (saying that eases our minds ...)
The last time I looked at the front of our house, I only saw one sign that read:
*Grandma's Place, free cookies and hugs*.
I did not see,
*Grandma's Place, Free anything*

Old 11-07-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Those of you who use *Spray and Wash*, what is the ratio of cleaning liquid to plain water ???

@ Suzy-Q:
Can you remember which parts of the Bissel broke ?
So I can keep an eye on them !!

So far, our Green Machine, keeps moving from house to house.
Amazingly, it is still in the *original* box it came in, except there is tons of Duck tape on it ...
Meaning with 4 kids, all living in their own homes, that machine gets used all the time.

When *we* bought it, the kids paid the same fee as they would have renting one from the Grocery store,
for the first two times, until everybody paid *their share*.
Now after three years, we feel, we got our moneys worth ....

For some weird reason, we have found that *our* bottles of cleaning fluid,
*disappear* at the same time *the kids* use the machine ...
Oh well ... (saying that eases our minds ...)
The last time I looked at the front of our house, I only saw one sign that read:
*Grandma's Place, free cookies and hugs*.
I did not see,
*Grandma's Place, Free anything*
The part that broke on the Bissell was the knob that switched from floor cleaning to the upholstery tool. When I took it in to get that fixed, I found out a seal inside the machine had failed. Cost for parts and labor were not worth it, so I bought the Hoover. I wonder if the plastic does not like the cleaning fluid. That's a bummer, since I only used Bissell products.

Interesting thought about charging the kids for the use of the machine. Mine is at my son's house right now.

They did have to buy their own bottles of cleaner, though.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:54 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,949,662 times
I have a Hoover carpet cleaner and love it....a good gauge is that the recovery tank {dirty water} has just as much or all the water from the clean water tank when your done with the room{s} The Hoover leaves your carpet virtually dry and within 30 minutes or less the carpets are dry and smell nice. Leaving ceiling fans on to create more air flow helps dramatically as well. I would not hire a pro, overpriced and don't like the idea of strangers dragging in hoses/chemicals, etc into my home. I've heard horror stories from friends/family regarding hiring these carpet cleaning companies. No thanks. I'll stick with my Hoover. LOL

Old 11-07-2011, 10:06 PM

607 posts, read 2,368,880 times
Which model Hoover would you recommend? I tried looking up there vacuums but to many to decifer through. Thanks

Old 11-07-2011, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by family first View Post
Which model Hoover would you recommend? I tried looking up there vacuums but to many to decifer through. Thanks
Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Hoover SteamVac Carpet Cleaner with Clean Surge, F5914-900

Read the "most helpful favorable review" about the set up to prevent leaks.

Mine was easy to set up. It will not suction properly unless the the cover for the dirty water tank is put on correctly. Just follow the directions.

I found mine for half price as a closeout online, so shop around before you buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House