Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 11:20 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,651,049 times

Advertisements

New house I am moving into, I hadn't really paid much attention how far the attic was built up.

Any suggestions?

I was thinking of putting 1/2" ply down with probably some deck screws. Any Should I do anything under it? I might daisychain a few lights to fill up the attack more.

I want to make alot of storage now, I doubt I will expand on it in the future)

Last edited by elnina; 11-26-2011 at 12:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2011, 11:38 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
I was thinking of putting 1/2" ply down with probably some deck screws. Any Should I do anything under it? I might daisychain a few lights to fill up the attack more. I want to make alot of storage now, I doubt I will expand on it in the future)

Any suggestions?
1) Insulation and ventilation. No such thing as too much insulation but do plan it and then stick to that plan with special attention to eaves and ridge. If you have the height to spare then add some extra height to the floor for even more insulation before laying down that floor.

2) Wiring into the rooms below the attic for both 120V and speakers and catv.... everything from ceiling lights/fans and wall sconces and extra recepticles and an extra circuit or two pulled up to the attic and then boxed off until needed.

3) Use at least 5/8" plywood decking (3/4" is even better) when you get to that stage and if you plan to realy use the space regularly then also have a good quality stairs too.

hth

Old 11-26-2011, 12:35 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
I would caution that you if you do increase the insulation you MUST take care to be sure the VENTILATION is not obstructed. The majority of homes DO NOT HAVE sufficient insulation in the space under the roof and few have the recommended amount of ventilation.

There is a risk that an improper vapor barrier coupled with "too good" an attic floor may result in creating some moisture issues. There are products available that are designed to serve as attic flooring and preserve the ventilation of the underlying insulation.

If the lumber that is above your ceilings does not allow for 10" of insulation I would seriously consider building up the 6x lumber with a 4x ...

Old 11-26-2011, 04:16 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
This is a case where pictures would really help.
There's a long list of questions and concerns that could probably be answered with pics.

Old 11-26-2011, 05:21 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,651,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
This is a case where pictures would really help.
There's a long list of questions and concerns that could probably be answered with pics.
I'll get some in a few days, I am doing a walkthrough the house on tuesday and close on wednesday.

Old 11-30-2011, 05:51 PM

12 posts, read 21,052 times
We turned our attic into a playroom for the kids. A previous owner took out a linen closet and put a makeshift staircase in. They were way too steep so we made them less steep and put a landing in and then turned them to continue the rest of the way up.

There is no heat or A/C run up there, however leaving the door open for just a few minutes heats it up quite nicely.

before

after

We have since painted and added carpet..

Old 11-30-2011, 06:04 PM

7,726 posts, read 1,889,082 times
Love what you have done, I can't wait to see it finished!!!

Old 11-30-2011, 06:06 PM

12 posts, read 21,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy P. View Post
Love what you have done, I can't wait to see it finished!!!
Well, there are still odds and ends to complete however the toys have been moved in. I will work on a 'now' photo. ;-)

Old 11-30-2011, 07:53 PM

7,726 posts, read 1,889,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugalremodel View Post
Well, there are still odds and ends to complete however the toys have been moved in. I will work on a 'now' photo. ;-)

I bet it looks great, you should be proud that you did it yourself. I know when I complete projects it gives you a great deal of satisfaction and you know it is done right!!!

Old 11-30-2011, 07:59 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,092,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugalremodel View Post
We turned our attic into a playroom for the kids. A previous owner took out a linen closet and put a makeshift staircase in. They were way too steep so we made them less steep and put a landing in and then turned them to continue the rest of the way up.

There is no heat or A/C run up there, however leaving the door open for just a few minutes heats it up quite nicely.
Wow, really nice! I am a little jealous. We have an attic that's similar but when the new AC system was installed, it was put in the attic so we have those giant silver-foil tubes running across the floors.

I think some people install separate heating units in attics? I've seen that done in several houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House