Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2012, 04:47 PM

1,315 posts, read 3,227,571 times

Advertisements

I have a 13ft by 6ft wide small backyard concrete pond that needs resurfacing. Is this something that I can do myself, or should I does it take a professional with certain tools, products and equipment? If I can do it myself, what products or equipment would I need?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 05:27 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,468,709 times
Let's see a photo to really tell you, but I think it is an opportunity to do a rubber lined stone surround pond.

Photos please.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:08 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,721,562 times
I'm with Wilson on this OP. Sure, you can resurface your pond, by etching it with muriatic acid, then skim coating it again, however.....it's entirely possible that your job will eventually fail. We fought with the upkeep of our cement pond for years, before looking into the rubber liner. Okay, well....as it turned out, the landscaping had changed over the years and our trees and shrubs around the pond had grown substantially, allowing far too many leaves to get into the pond during the fall, so we filled it in and dug a new one. No concrete and we couldn't be happier!!

Old 02-03-2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
I'm with Wilson on this OP. Sure, you can resurface your pond, by etching it with muriatic acid, then skim coating it again, however.....it's entirely possible that your job will eventually fail. We fought with the upkeep of our cement pond for years, before looking into the rubber liner. Okay, well....as it turned out, the landscaping had changed over the years and our trees and shrubs around the pond had grown substantially, allowing far too many leaves to get into the pond during the fall, so we filled it in and dug a new one. No concrete and we couldn't be happier!!

He has an easier route, what with the concrete pond as a foundation. Only question I would have is whether there are sharp surfaces that might damage the liner. I think the stone border ponds are really beautiful I have a place for one, but too many trees around it.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
He has an easier route, what with the concrete pond as a foundation. Only question I would have is whether there are sharp surfaces that might damage the liner. I think the stone border ponds are really beautiful I have a place for one, but too many trees around it.
Those trees are awful when they're too close to the pond. Not only do the roots damage the concrete pond, but those leaves!! Ugh! I considered leaving the pond where it was and putting a net on that I could pull back to get rid of the leaves, but I hate the look of a net around it.
We actually had an old swimming pool liner that we used for a couple of years, just as you described, but decided that I really wanted the pond in an area of the yard where we could walk around the entire thing.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:24 AM

The stone waterfall and the stones lining the pool also have calcium buildup and need to be cleaned. I am not interested in Pebble-Tec or any other expensive surface like most pool companies try to sell me on, since I am not going to live in the house I am in for a long time. I just want to make it look decent to the eye, so it's not a turn-off when I sell. In fact, if the green hue/tinge to the pond can somehow be transformed to sparking blue or more swimming pool color by painting that would be great. I keep the acid and chlorine levels in check regularly but by looking at the pond and its green stained bottom, one would think I don't. Here are some attached photos of the pond.
Attached Thumbnails
Pond Resurfacing-dsci0153.jpg   Pond Resurfacing-dsci0149.jpg  

Old 02-05-2012, 12:01 PM

Very nice.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:28 PM

So far, I'm getting bids of $1000 to $1500 for resurfacing the pond depending on surface (cement, tinted coating, pebble, etc). Seems awfully expensive for such a very small area. What do you all think?

Old 02-06-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happs View Post
So far, I'm getting bids of $1000 to $1500 for resurfacing the pond depending on surface (cement, tinted coating, pebble, etc). Seems awfully expensive for such a very small area. What do you all think?
LOL.....I think you get what you pay for. If you're not happy with the bids, you should read up on how to do it yourself. I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but it's true. You might find someone who's willing to come in and do it dirt cheap, but is it worth it if they don't do the appropriate prep work, or if they do it on the cheap, but it's not a healthy environment for fish and plants and doesn't hold up?

It isn't cheap to get it redone. That's why you have people telling you to put in a liner, then top off the edges with another layer of stone. By the way, don't make the mistake of going with the cheapest bid, unless you've checked out their referrals and gotten some sort of guarantee. Anyone can resurface a pond, but that doesn't mean they're going to do a job that will last.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:16 PM

I've done more research into pond resurfacing and several people have had good luck with waterproof paint or cement based waterproof coatings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House