Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2012, 11:48 AM

130 posts, read 503,457 times

Advertisements

Bought a house a while back and the builder recommended that we purchase a "surge trap" as he said that homes in our community were having problems with vaccuuming causing the breakers to trip. He also referred to it as a "noise filter". Any idea what this item is? Is this common?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 01:02 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,371,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley14 View Post
Bought a house a while back and the builder recommended that we purchase a "surge trap" as he said that homes in our community were having problems with vaccuuming causing the breakers to trip. He also referred to it as a "noise filter". Any idea what this item is? Is this common?
Sounds like a crock of crap to me. There is absolutely no excuse for a vacuum to be tripping breakers, unless they cut corners everywhere available - including installing only 15 amp breakers (or less) in the whole house.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:27 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
Sounds like a crock of crap to me.
speaking of crocks of crap...

15Amp circuits are fine for nearly everything...
so long as you don't overload them.

As to the vacuum issue...
the problem is with the sensitivity of AFCI breakers vs vacuum internal wiring.

Sometimes it is related to the house wiring too (if poorly done or otherwise faulty).
If any of these conditions exist (aka "excuses") then yeah the breakers will trip

hth

Old 03-15-2012, 01:48 PM

130 posts, read 503,457 times
So is the noise filter/surge trap safe?

Old 03-15-2012, 02:43 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
Quote:
So is the noise filter/surge trap safe?

Not really.
AFCI (Arc Fault Circuit Interrupter) are only required IN bedrooms (NEC code). What is happening is the AFCI is detecting the arc made by the electric motor (the brushes to be specific) and thus trips the breaker.
Just avoid plugging into receptacles in the bedrooms.

Old 03-15-2012, 03:01 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,670,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Not really.
AFCI (Arc Fault Circuit Interrupter) are only required IN bedrooms (NEC code). What is happening is the AFCI is detecting the arc made by the electric motor (the brushes to be specific) and thus trips the breaker.

Overall I agree (the motor issue), any motor startup amp draw, but I have never had a vacuum trip a breaker. Maybe I need to stop yelling suck baby suck and get a stronger vacuum....LOL

Old 03-15-2012, 05:51 PM

250 posts, read 379,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Not really.
This isn't entirely accurate. The new combination style AFCI breakers (that are now required by code) can detect the difference between a normal arc (turning on a light switch) and a fault. I've never had a vacuum trip an AFCI under normal operating conditions.

AFCI breakers are slowly becoming required on all lighting circuits in the home. One city near where I live is already doing this. It's already in the NEC, some municipalities haven't adopted it yet is all.

What is most likely happening with the vacuum's is the amp draw. If you have a 1500 watt vacuum it doesn't take much more than a few lights on to overload the breaker. Most vacuum's I've seen are labeled as "12 amp" and on a 15 amp circuit there isn't a lot of room left. There is nothing wrong with 15 amp circuits and it's not "cutting corners."

Old 03-15-2012, 06:37 PM

250 posts, read 379,539 times
Quote:
I do residential electrical and from my understanding a "surge trap" is basically the same thing as a surge suppressor. A noise filter is something else entirely and nothing I've ever seen needed in a home. I've only ever installed one surge suppressor and it was in my own home and that was only because I could get one cheap and install it myself.

I know this is a sales type website, but it has some good information on it about surge suppressors. Home - Power Surge Protection FAQ

I don't know why vacuums specifically would be causing a problem and a surge wouldn't necessarily cause a breaker to trip. Something doesn't sound right with what he told you, perhaps the electrician could explain it to you better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House