Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 11:21 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,462,852 times

Advertisements

Hello house experts !

I'm wondering what I can do to resolve the following:

Original bathtub, approximately 60 years old (eeew! I know! ). The tile surrounding the tub, same age, is in great shape. The tub itself is metal (iron?) with a white enamel finish. The front of the tub is still shiny enamel, but the top parts and the interior is dull and stained.

This is not the right time to replace the tub, that will come when the entire bathroom gets an overhaul, I'm looking for something to hold it over for another couple of years at the most.

There are services that advertise in my area for some sort of refinishing, it would seem I could do something like this myself?

I'm not handy, but I am a neat and careful painter and I think I could manage this myself.

I definitely don't want to install one of those "surrounds" since the tile looks so good, is there some sort of special paint or kit that I can buy?

Has anyone ever attempted something like this? Any idea of cost?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2007, 12:21 PM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
riveree - You can have the tub reglazed, either doing it yourself or have a professional do it. I believe you can buy kits at the Home Improvement Center, but I should warn you, the stuff really smells bad and you need really really good ventilation until it dries. I would recommend having professional do it. They can get it to look as good as new. My sister had her tub done years ago and it looks great, even after many years of use. Goo luck, Jay

Old 09-11-2007, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
riveree - You can have the tub reglazed, either doing it yourself or have a professional do it. I believe you can buy kits at the Home Improvement Center, but I should warn you, the stuff really smells bad and you need really really good ventilation until it dries. I would recommend having professional do it. They can get it to look as good as new. My sister had her tub done years ago and it looks great, even after many years of use. Goo luck, Jay
Ahhhh........fumes. Forgot to consider that. It's a tiny bathroom so it would be hard to escape to fumes while working on it .

My husband is of the thought that "it's fine, it functions and that's what it needs to do", so I'm not going to get him to agree with me to hire a professional (and since the house needs a few things, I'd rather "pick my battles" on other items ).

I wonder if I could use a strong fan for the fumes? The house is vacant right now, so I can do the work and just leave while it dries.

Any idea what your sister paid for the professional job?

What about a high gloss enamel spray paint? Has anyone tried something like that? The fumes might be just as bad I suppose?

Old 09-11-2007, 12:40 PM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
I don't think it was that much for a professional. Maybe $150. That is in Connecticut. You should check your area to what it would cost there.

I would not use any paint other than one that is specifically designed for bath tub refinishing, otherwise you run the risk of peeling paint . I would definitely do a kit because I believe it has a special cleaner to clean the tub with first and then special paint. Maybe someone else here knows more than me. I would only go with a professional because I would want it to be perfect, especially if we were not planning to do anything in the bathroom for a number of years. Actually if you redid the tub does the rest of the bathroom need anything or could you then "stand" it for a little longer? Jay

Old 09-11-2007, 12:42 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,353,293 times
For the record, my inlaws did it themselves and that think was peeling up within 3 months.

Old 09-11-2007, 01:19 PM

698 posts, read 2,842,131 times
On the other hand, a friend of ours hired that job out and it too began peeling quickly, so if you do hire someone check their references carefully.
Like a lot of things when it's done right it's going to please you and last.

Old 09-11-2007, 04:59 PM

24,471 posts, read 26,008,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Boy do I agree with this. We had both of ours done earlier this year and they look great. The smell is awfull, fans will help.

Old 09-11-2007, 09:13 PM

JayCT: Yes, the bathtub is the worst part of the bathroom. I installed a nice, big pedestal sink a few years back, the whole bathroom is tiled from the floor up all the walls nearly 5 feet (albeit in light blue ), so it looks decent. I think sprucing up the tub will make the whole bathroom look cleaner since it has some stains (nothing crazy, it just won't get white-white as it is). $150 would not be bad to call a professional in, I'm going to look one up and give them a call.

Gardener & Carolinadreamin: Thanks for the info about peeling. I was worried about the softness of treatment (not as hard as baked on enamel), and I'll have to look into this peeling possibility too.....peeling would be bad .

Motormaker: Glad yours turned out well, no peeling problems then?

Old 09-12-2007, 12:56 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
Here's another alternative. Some of those bathroom in a day type contractors put in fiberglass shells that cover the old tub completely. Since you are looking for a solution that will last a couple years that may be ideal for you.

I've had a tub refinished and there's no way I would attempt that job. First, it has to be sandblasted for the new enamel to adhere. Then the enamel is applied in numerous thin coats with a sprayer type thing. It's a messy process and I don't have the experience. The enamel process is also really stinky and it takes several days.

Old 09-12-2007, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Here's another alternative. Some of those bathroom in a day type contractors put in fiberglass shells that cover the old tub completely. Since you are looking for a solution that will last a couple years that may be ideal for you.

I've had a tub refinished and there's no way I would attempt that job. First, it has to be sandblasted for the new enamel to adhere. Then the enamel is applied in numerous thin coats with a sprayer type thing. It's a messy process and I don't have the experience. The enamel process is also really stinky and it takes several days.
Thanks Yellowsnow

It's definitely sounding like something to hire out.......sandblasting, eh? Not just etching? Hmmm.......maybe it's going to stay just like it is !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House