Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2012, 06:58 PM

Location: Downtown Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill,Homestead for now
512 posts, read 1,225,593 times

Advertisements

Water drips continuously into toilet bowl. I can see it on the left it is a continuously very small stream flow. I can hear a very very faint like whistling sound.

Help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 08:11 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,076,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCtoMiami View Post
Water drips continuously into toilet bowl. I can see it on the left it is a continuously very small stream flow. I can hear a very very faint like whistling sound.

Help
Sounds like the flapper in the tank is bad, esasy fix and moderately inexpensive.

Video: How to Replace a Flapper in a Toilet Tank | eHow.com

Old 05-31-2012, 10:22 AM

445 posts, read 1,605,491 times
Take the lid off the tank and see if the water is running into the overfill tube... It sounds like the fill valve is bad. I just had to replace mine and it was doing just what you explained.. If you can not get it fixed right away - shut the water off at the wall valve - you can run up a huge water bill.. I got a new fill assembly from HD It is the FluidMaster and it makes so much noise I am Pizzed Off. Only consolation is that I know when it done filling the tank...

Old 05-31-2012, 11:33 AM

The water is slowly running into the overfill tube when the tank is full and i open the commode i can see a continuously small stream flow.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:47 AM

That is your Fill Valve not doing its job.. Depending on how old your tank is set up , it could be a round float that rises with the water level and closes the valve before it overflows.. Mine was a pretty new Kohler and the float rose up the fill tube until the valve closed... The old one would not close all the way - no matter how much I tried to adjust the float.. Got a new one and all is working as it should. (But I will not get another FLUIDMASTER from HD - Yes I could take it back - but what a PAIN ) You can try to lift the float and see if it will close the valve and stop the flow - BUT PLEASE BE CAREFUL.. if you break anything you could end up with a mess... Before doing any work on the tank - make sure your shut off valve works - test it .. I came across one that seemed to shut off by turning counterclockwise... turned out the valve was so old it was coming apart on the inside and would not shut the water off at all..

PS. Turn the water off after it fills I had that happen in a rental and my water bill was $100 for the month (usually it was less than $20)

Old 05-31-2012, 02:23 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,076,158 times
Yeah as others said it is the fill valve, I had added that as a possibility but I guess I didn't save correctly ... oh well.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:39 PM

This weekend i will try to replace fill valve. Do you recommend any particular brand?

Old 06-01-2012, 05:58 AM

Quote:
This weekend i will try to replace fill valve. Do you recommend any particular brand?
I don't know what else is available but I probably got the only one that is real noisy... I have a knack for that I think you can find some video on Youtube to guide you - Just be sure you can shut off the water at the shutoff valve at the wall... Always a good idea to know where/how to shut off the enitre water supply at the street ... If your bowl is some years old - you may want to replace the flapper at the same time.. that can cause a similar loss of water that is hard to see but will cost you $$$
After you do the change make sure you do not have any small leaks at the supply hose... a good way to find a drop or two leak is use a little newspaper under the bowl - the newspaper will crinkle up if any water hits it... good luck

Old 06-01-2012, 03:37 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhQwu...eature=related
This is a video of what is happening to mine too ;-). I did this test and mine did the same thing. To be sure i have to replace fill valve

Old 06-03-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:

Detecting a Leak in the Toilet - YouTube
This is a video of what is happening to mine too ;-). I did this test and mine did the same thing. To be sure i have to replace fill valve
This video shows the other problem - the flap valve - the part that allows the water to flow when you flush... is not seating completely and a small amount of water is leaking into the bowl.. after a while the tank level will drop to a point that the float will not keep the fill valve shut and more water will enter the tank to replace what has leaked out.. I think I mentioned replacing the flap as well while you are doing this.. I think you can get a kit that contains the fill valve replacement and the flap..

One other thing that can bite you is - when you flush, the chain that pulls up on the flap some how tangles and does not allow the flap to close .. the fill float does not rise and shut off the water - the water will continue to run until you "jiggle the handle" but that will not always to it.. You might have to untangle the chain This is not too bad unless you flush and jump into the car for a two week vacation.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House