Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2012, 11:19 AM

520 posts, read 3,920,993 times

Advertisements

Looking to install some motion sensors in my house.

I've installed these carriage style senors before
and I guess they worked out pretty good.

I've also seen these simple socket sensors but don't know much about them.

Are the socket sensors any good? When we moved into our current home, the previous owner had one on the porch light. I didn't care for it but then again, that sensor was all busted up which could explain why it was pretty dim.

Should I just pony up and go with the carriage style?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 06:22 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
If you haven't noticed-
a lot of the newer adaptor sensors are remote mounted. The reason is because of heat generated from the bulb(s)- those fixtures with down-facing bulbs.
And consequently, fixtures made WITH sensors are built into other parts of the fixture that aren't affected by the heat.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:24 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
I have a couple of lights with sensors at the front porch of my house that are similar to the first link you posted. The lights have been working fine for the past 15 years

As for the back porch and deck, plus the front of the garage, I have some halogen lights with sensors. But since halogen lights use a lot of power I plan to replace both units with outdoors (exterior) LED lights and sensors, but hopefully one that's not as ugly as this one
http://www.destinationlighting.com/s...tml?iid=301115

Last edited by RayinAK; 04-22-2012 at 10:33 PM..

Old 04-22-2012, 10:47 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,186,782 times
The house across the street has some sort of motion detector. All night long, all sorts of little animals set it off and the lights shine right onto my bedroom wall.

I got heavier blinds but I can't help but wonder what it is like to live in a house that has a motion detector.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:03 AM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
The house across the street has some sort of motion detector. All night long, all sorts of little animals set it off and the lights shine right onto my bedroom wall.

I got heavier blinds but I can't help but wonder what it is like to live in a house that has a motion detector.
They work fine most of the time, but trash or leaves moved around wind can set them off. Snow falling from the roof can also set them off, and so birds and the rest. My neighbors and I have big yards around the house, so the lights aren't a problem. But I imagine that the lights could be a big problem in some neighborhoods where the houses are close to each other.

The little ones the OP posted should not be a problem, just the floodlights I posted

Old 04-23-2012, 09:40 AM

520 posts, read 3,920,993 times
Is there a sensitivity setting on the flood lights? I thought I remember there being one the last time I installed flood lights.

I'm going to install flood lights in my backyard as well.
For the front side of the house, I was looking at the carriage style.
Then I saw the even easier one, the "lazy" version - just don't know much about them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House