Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 08:22 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,232,941 times

Advertisements

Mine doesn't...
It's a portable. You leave a window cracked to keep fresh air available, but it doesn't exhaust out the window...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 09:15 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,287,094 times
Evaporative coolers work best with dry air. That is bringing in dry outside air, then letting it exhaust out a window.

For example: In Arizona it is typically dry. And when it rains, evaporative coolers don't work very well. That is why you don't see evaporative coolers in humid areas.

So they will not work well just recirculating the air in one room. The air will become humid.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:06 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,232,941 times
there IS no exhaust...

Old 08-30-2012, 09:54 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Every swamp cooler (evaporative cooler) I have seen, used and/or maintained in the SW United States pulls air from the outside, and exhausts air to the outside...
Ours did. It worked very well until more people moved in and had more landscaping in the desert which they watered. When the humidity grew the swamp cooler didn't work all that well. If the air outside is reasonably dry, it works. If the humidity is higher, a small window AC does a much better job. My AC unit here had an 'auto' feature which draws the air from inside the cooled room and makes it run a lot less and generally work better. I intend to replace the small AC with a stronger one like the main one since with the door open it keeps the back of the house cool.

Old 06-20-2016, 06:01 PM

1 posts, read 2,340 times
i never heard of any one getting hotter after plugging in a air conditioner.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:51 AM

3 posts, read 6,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Since the first purpose of an A/C unit is to remove humidity and cooling the air is it's second purpose would it make sense to pay for another machine on top of that that adds humidity?
I disagree. I believe for most people, the purpose of their air conditioner is to cool the air, with little or no concern about the air's humidity.

Besides, This is what actually happens: Only when the inside air's humidity is high enough will it condense on the evaporator coils, and thus remove water vapor from the air, but the exhaust air's relative humidity is relatively higher or saturated than the warm air taken in. Only once the cooled air is warmed inside the home does the relative humidity drop.

In a way, cooling air is kinda like squeezing a sponge.
1. When the sponge is saturated with water, it holds it. The analogy is Air is fully saturated but ts not raining.
2. When you squeeze it a little, and let go, it will let loose some water, but its still fairly wet, The analogy is relatively high relative humidity).
3. Squeeze it harder then let go and it lets loose even more water. The analogy is relatively low relative humidity.
4. Squeeze it again but not as hard as the last time and it will still retain its water holding onto it until you squeeze harder then the last time.
5. each time you squeeze the sponge, it is akin to raising the relative humidity until the air is saturated and lets water condenses out

Last edited by shomas; 08-29-2016 at 10:12 AM..

Old 08-29-2016, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Every swamp cooler (evaporative cooler) I have seen, used and/or maintained in the SW United States pulls air from the outside, and exhausts air to the outside...
That is because once the air inside is fully saturated, it can no longer cool the air and mold will grow on everything.

On the other hand, one could build a bucket swamp cooler or the like, that takes air from the inside of the home passes it through a saturated medium with a fan, cool the exhausted air through latent heat of vaporization, while an air conditioner removes excess humidity from the inside air.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
Evaporative coolers work best with dry air. That is bringing in dry outside air, then letting it exhaust out a window.

For example: In Arizona it is typically dry. And when it rains, evaporative coolers don't work very well. That is why you don't see evaporative coolers in humid areas.

So they will not work well just recirculating the air in one room. The air will become humid.
Recirculating the air in one room will just eventually saturate the air in that room, unless one also runs an AC unit that not only does the ejecting heat, or more precisely thermal energy, out of the room, but also removes the excess humidity.

Last edited by shomas; 08-29-2016 at 10:14 AM..

Old 10-24-2016, 07:13 PM

5 posts, read 8,909 times
Default Central AC with single-room swamp; blocking returns

Not directly addressed yet in the thread: MY question is whether it might help and whether it is potentially harmful or not to an A/C system; to run a window or portable evaporative cooler in a room with the whole house AC return open so as to feed the A/C cooler, wetter, air; meanwhile possibly closing returns in other rooms so that the AC system is 'assisted' by the evap cooler, which would probably have a window open in that room, not served by the AC system? Does that make sense? My concern before trying this seriously is whether the humidified air can hurt the AC unit; and whether blocking most returns could create an air pressure problem that might be harmful to the AC unit. Thanks for any ideas.

Old 10-25-2016, 10:00 AM

5 posts, read 8,909 times
Following up on previous post, I forgot to mention the idea of just using the whole house fan and duct system of the AC without refrigeration, just to circulate the humidified air from a single room throughout the house. Pros and cons?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House