Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2012, 08:57 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,121,070 times

Advertisements

I have a covered patio which is currently coated with asphalt. The asphalt is old, the flat roof over the patio pools and cause water stains on the underneath. We would like to pain the underneath part white, but can't due to the reoccurring water stains.

Since this is over the patio and has no bearing on the interior of my house I was thinking about applying an EPDM Membrane. I would over the current flat roof with 5/8" OSD (May even add some furring strips to make it more of a pitch towards the gutters, lay out the EPDM Membrane (over the flashing into the gutters), let it relax, fold half of it back, apply adhesive, let adhesive flash, lay membrane down, use stiff shop broom to get any bubbles out and repeat on the other half. If I used 10 X 30 sheets I would only have one seam. I would follow manufacturer recommendations on sealing the seams.

Is this pretty much all that is involved? If so, I think I am willing to tackle this project. A) If I goof a bit, it shouldn't be any worse than the roof is already. B) This is for a covered patio... not the roof to the interior of my home. C) Since it is Black I would probably paint it white to reflect heat.

I have seen 45 MIL, 60 MIL and 90 MIL Thickness.... suggestions??

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 09:44 AM

17,473 posts, read 66,019,193 times
"Sounds" good to me-
Pics would help (to visualize and maybe someone will have a suggestion for alternatives)
And instead of "painting" just use white epdm

Old 07-06-2018, 03:49 AM

2 posts, read 960 times
I'd recommend using EPDM of some sort. There are videos and guides out there that are really helpful. For example https://www.rubberroofs.co.uk/how-to-lay-epdm-membrane
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House