Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2012, 06:56 PM

119 posts, read 318,528 times

Advertisements

I suddenly have this huge population of fruit flies all over my house. I was gone for a week and when I got back there were these fruit flies flying all over the house, bedroom, bathroom all over the mirror, kitchen (of course!)....
What do I do to get rid of them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 07:33 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,239,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wango Wango View Post
I suddenly have this huge population of fruit flies all over my house. I was gone for a week and when I got back there were these fruit flies flying all over the house, bedroom, bathroom all over the mirror, kitchen (of course!)....
What do I do to get rid of them?
You have to "make" a trap. This method works.

Fruit Fly Traps | Keen For Green

Old 10-03-2012, 08:15 PM

826 posts, read 1,932,512 times
We've also used a small amount of vinegar in small bowls and it has worked well.

Old 10-03-2012, 11:19 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,035,628 times
Get a piece of paper and roll it into cone and tape it together so there is small opening at the bottom. Put some vinegar in cup and then put the cone pointy side down into the cup so it's suspended. They go in but can't get out.

--edite--

Just like the one in the link.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:51 AM

804 posts, read 2,003,884 times
my cousin mentioned to me her method of removing them:

take a saucer and slice a banana into it. cover the entire plate with plastic wrap & poke a few holes in it here & there. place on counter. fruit flies are attracted to the banana & get in but can't get out.

Old 10-04-2012, 02:15 PM
SXN

350 posts, read 1,289,088 times
put in a few drops of dish soap with the vinegar. It helps trap the flies.

Old 10-04-2012, 02:58 PM

119 posts, read 318,528 times
Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. I am trying some of your techniques and they seem to be working.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:27 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,683,373 times
I discovered the source of my fruit flies were my bathroom drain(s) because they were actually drain flies -- look the same to me. I used all the vinegar/soap dish methods and also cleaned my drains. It helped but my real victory was achieved by running our jacuzzi tub with bleach in the water. Also cleaned all the drains in the house by flushing with a baking soda/vinegar mix followed by hot water.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:35 PM

12 posts, read 28,146 times
Another place many fruit flies feed on is the garbage disposal!

1. Run hot water in the disposal while off for a minute or two.
2. With disposal OFF, pack the disposal with ice cubes.
3. Turn disposal ON with water still off until ice is crushed. Turn off disposal.
4. Pour bleach in disposal with crushed ice.
5. Turn water on to melt ice. Turn off water and repeat steps one last time.
6. After final step, with disposal OFF, take a sponge and clean underside of rubber flap.

This should take care of it. As well, overnight pour bleach down all drains including shower/bathtub drains as they also feed off the scum from those drains. When produce shopping and you see fruit flies around the fruit you are purchasing...move on. Wash ALL fruit thoroughly...even those where you don't eat the peels...the flies have still laid their eggs on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House