Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 01:54 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,549,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graycee View Post
We could not afford to replace all the carpet in the house when we first moved in. We had it cleaned and gradually replaced it as we could afford to. So, yeah...people actually do this, and survive.
Exactly.

And it all depends what shape the carpet is in, how old, and how it has been maintained.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
No one in my area tears out perfectly good carpet and puts in new.
There are companies that specialize in carpet cleaning.

Has NOTHING to do with used underwear, and I am surprised you think it does.
Well, hells bells, even used underwear can be bleached and sanitized, lololololololol.

And yes, I have worn used underwear. I grew up with hand me downs, including underwear.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:55 PM

2,419 posts, read 2,993,744 times
Ours looked great when we bought the house. They probably just had it cleaned, but we had it cleaned again anyway. I have no fear of cooties and I'm sure our cooties would beat their cooties any day. Underwear is totally different.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:59 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,822,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I did not know anyone did that. To me is seems really disgusting. Even when we were renting we requried the landlord to replace the carpeting (or in one case, we did it becuase he refused and the rent was cheap and we loved the house). Carpeting in general is pretty disgusting, but it is nice to lie on the floor on. However I would not want to touch carpeting that has had unknown things done to it or on it over an unknown period of years by unknown people. The only thing I think think of that is worse is buying used underwear. Except at least you can clean underwear. Carpeting cannot be fully cleaned.

On the other hand, old carpeting makes a wonderful drop cloth if you are going to repaint walls refinish moldings and the like.
We did and we still haven't but seriously, this thread makes me want to go out and replace the carpeting we still have. We took out all the carpet in the house (except the kids' bedrooms and master closets) and replaced it with wood or tile but you're right, it does sort of gross me out. Maybe I will get new basic general purpose carpeting (stain resistant) for the kids' rooms.

Old 10-05-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
We did and we still haven't but seriously, this thread makes me want to go out and replace the carpeting we still have. We took out all the carpet in the house (except the kids' bedrooms and master closets) and replaced it with wood or tile but you're right, it does sort of gross me out. Maybe I will get new basic general purpose carpeting (stain resistant) for the kids' rooms.
Do you have a good vacuum cleaner? Do you use it regularly? Did you steam clean the carpets or use some method that has a sanitizer included? Do you sprinkle baking soda on the carpet b/c you vac? Do you take your shoes off b/f entering your home?

Honestly, if you take care of your carpet, it isn't going to be a health hazard.

I prefer hard surfaces but carpeting, when taken care of, can be a good choice, especially when there are children.

Just clean it up well, take care of it, and replace it when you can afford to do so.

Old 10-05-2012, 02:15 PM

9,364 posts, read 14,141,790 times
What kinds of things do you imagine happen on the carpet?

I guess I would pull it up eventually since I don't like carpet, but as long as it was professionally cleaned I wouldn't be in a big rush. However, if the people had dogs and cats I might check it with the urine-finder UV-light. Also if the previous owners had a particularly dirty kitchen or baths I might wonder if the carpet was 'germy'. Or very young children might leave all kinds of messes that I would not like the residue from. On second thought...out with the carpets! --if it was affordable.

Old 10-05-2012, 03:00 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,646,035 times
No one would replace good carpet in any home they moved into under the circumstances you mentioned. Perhaps if they didn't like the color or fabric, but not because someone else walked on it before them.
You have a phobia that may require a few sessions on a professionals couch.. Better look into it, you post is completely ridiculous..

Old 10-05-2012, 03:39 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,544,967 times
Carpet in general is disgusting, even my own.

However, unless I can get the cost of new carpet rolled into my mortgage, they old carpet is staying for awhile.

When we pulled up carpet in our used homes, we have found many interesting items. The most surprising find was Cooties. No, not those cooties, silly - these cooties:

Google Image Result for http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e10/bertha311p/CootieWeekend_misc.jpg%3Ft%3D1236193929

They didn't even clean the floor before they had carpeted the room!

Old 10-05-2012, 06:11 PM

316 posts, read 661,311 times
I have rented apts all my life and are renting right now. Every apt comes standard with carpets and they should be odor free and clean and not have any fleas in them, then they are acceptable to live with. If none of these defects are found, the landlord is not going to replace the carpet unless you paid all the expenses...

Old 10-05-2012, 06:28 PM

3,550 posts, read 1,552,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone View Post
You have a phobia that may require a few sessions on a professionals couch.
Do you know how many asses have been on there?!

We absolutely hated our living situation before buying our house and couldn't wait to move. The carpet looked in decent shape, but really dirty. We did consider taking it out and installing new, but like I said, we wanted to just hurry up and move in, so we had it cleaned. I was surprised at how new it looked. I don't know what's going on underneath, but it was cleaned and it looked fine, so why take it out if I don't have to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House