Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 03:25 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBy View Post
We already have fireplace, but it's not so efficient for heat, so if we want the wood burning stove, should we buy fireplace insert stove so we don't need to have another exhaust pipe for wood burning?
I believe that some of the new fireplace inserts are a lot more efficient than the old fireplaces, so you may want to look at that option.

I had a fireplace at my home and replaced it with a Jotul 500 wood stove. But since I can do framing, sheetrock work, and painting I saved a lot of cash on labor. Removing the old fireplace was a pain in the neck, and it took some time. Then I reframed the opening on the wall, insulated it plus installed a vapor barrier, and sheetrock. The other steps were to fire-tape the wall at the other side, and tape the wall inside the house, followed by sanding, priming, and texturing. Lots of work hours here.

The next step was to build a hearth to sit the stove on: cut out the carpet and pad to bare floor, installed a plank of 3/4" plywood on the floor, followed by 1/2" backer board, and then tiles on top of that. If you have a concrete floor, then you don't have to do so much work with the hearth. The stove and stove pipe cost a lot of cash, and so the installation (which was done by a local shop to meet all fire codes and insurance rules).

If you can do most of the work yourself, you will be saving quite a lot of the initial cost. Also, keep in mind that some States offer refunds for energy reduction at your home. They refund some of the cost of energy efficient appliances, heaters, and such. Keep that in mind as you decide what to do, and check with your borough office to see if they have such programs available.

Last edited by RayinAK; 11-24-2012 at 03:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2012, 07:55 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBy View Post
We already have fireplace, but it's not so efficient for heat, so if we want the wood burning stove, should we buy fireplace insert stove so we don't need to have another exhaust pipe for wood burning?
Generally the new efficient insert will have a flex flue pipe run inside the existing chimney...

Your local Building Codes and the insert Manufacturer will have the required specs to do a proper install.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:01 PM

Spent all of today splitting rounds from the two large Monterrey Pines I had to take down due to beatles.

Decided to act now to avoid a future safety hazard.

As it was, it cost $1,750 to take them down in sections and this was the lower of several bids.

My 78 year old Mom was operating the splitter as I placed each round in position.

Once the pile got unmanageable, the split pine was place in the loader bucket of my Kubota and taken up the street to a neighbor's wood pile... he heats all winter with a Buck Stove insert with a CAT... keeps his place toasty.

He mixes the pine with oak... the wood I delivered today will be seasoned for two years...

Old 11-24-2012, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Spent all of today splitting rounds from the two large Monterrey Pines I had to take down due to beatles.

Decided to act now to avoid a future safety hazard.

As it was, it cost $1,750 to take them down in sections and this was the lower of several bids.

My 78 year old Mom was operating the splitter as I placed each round in position.

Once the pile got unmanageable, the split pine was place in the loader bucket of my Kubota and taken up the street to a neighbor's wood pile... he heats all winter with a Buck Stove insert with a CAT... keeps his place toasty.

He mixes the pine with oak... the wood I delivered today will be seasoned for two years...
Lucky neighbor to have a neighbor like you And yes, two years from now the pine should be perfectly seasoned as long as he keeps it ventilated and dry. Did you neighbor helped with the cost of cutting the trees down?

Old 11-24-2012, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Lucky neighbor to have a neighbor like you And yes, two years from now the pine should be perfectly seasoned as long as he keeps it ventilated and dry. Did you neighbor helped with the cost of cutting the trees down?
No... he will soon be 80 and is very generous with advice and loaning tools...

A few years ago I bought the splitter used... rental yards here no longer carry them.

When the neighbor saw it he offered to go in half with me... it had a problem with the choke linkage and he fashioned a new one out of aluminum to replace the OEM plastic.

I'm very fortunate on in the neighbor category... all but one is retired and I will always be the kid on the block...

He's 79, next door is 94, other side is 81, across the street 104 and nest house over 96... I can only hope

The pine splits beautifully and the pile keeps growing... 44" diameter at the base... man I bought the home from planted them in Dixie cups 50 years ago.

Old 11-24-2012, 09:47 PM

Quote:
No... he will soon be 80 and is very generous with advice and loaning tools...

A few years ago I bought the splitter used... rental yards here no longer carry them.

When the neighbor saw it he offered to go in half with me... it had a problem with the choke linkage and he fashioned a new one out of aluminum to replace the OEM plastic.

I'm fortunate in the neighbor category... all but one is retired and I will always be the kid on the block...

He's 79, next door is 94, other side is 81, across the street 104 and next house over 96... I can only hope

The pine splits beautifully and the pile keeps growing... 44" diameter at the base... man I bought the home from planted them in Dixie cups 50 years ago.

Old 11-25-2012, 02:22 AM

You are surrounded by old timers

And that's not a bad thing since there is a good chance that for some reason the area you live at favors long life. Over by Newport, WA I have seen that sort of thing, where people just last many years into a very old age. I don't know what does it, maybe the lack of stress or something?

Old 11-25-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
You are surrounded by old timers

And that's not a bad thing since there is a good chance that for some reason the area you live at favors long life. Over by Newport, WA I have seen that sort of thing, where people just last many years into a very old age. I don't know what does it, maybe the lack of stress or something?
Could be the faint aroma of wood smoke in the air...

Seriously, my dairy farmer Grandparents and their neighbor heat and cook with wood... they are all in their nineties...

My 94 next door neighbor just had back surgery... he was a little too aggressive with the rototiller this Spring... he is already up and around and his retired kids made him promise no more rototilling.

I'm not discounting there are people with extreme sensitivities... I see it everyday in the Hospital where I work. Sometimes have to wonder and some studies indicate living in a sterile environment may not be the best... even children with a family pet seem to be less sickly then those without.

One thing about split and seasoned pine... it sure makes a beautiful fire.

When I worked in Austria, I learned that every home, apartment, condo being built must have a chimney compatible for wood burning. Often the flue is hidden in the wall unused.

The goverment mandated this years ago for emergency preparedness in case oil and natural gas became unavailable... kind of makes me wonder why my city forbids chimneys in new homes at the same time the Federal Government was giving a tax credit for installing the most efficient and ultra low emission stoves

Old 11-25-2012, 10:28 AM

50,316 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Could be the faint aroma of wood smoke in the air...

Seriously, my dairy farmer Grandparents and their neighbor heat and cook with wood... they are all in their nineties...

My 94 next door neighbor just had back surgery... he was a little too aggressive with the rototiller this Spring... he is already up and around and his retired kids made him promise no more rototilling.

I'm not discounting there are people with extreme sensitivities... I see it everyday in the Hospital where I work. Sometimes have to wonder and some studies indicate living in a sterile environment may not be the best... even children with a family pet seem to be less sickly then those without.

One thing about split and seasoned pine... it sure makes a beautiful fire.

When I worked in Austria, I learned that every home, apartment, condo being built must have a chimney compatible for wood burning. Often the flue is hidden in the wall unused.

The goverment mandated this years ago for emergency preparedness in case oil and natural gas became unavailable... kind of makes me wonder why my city forbids chimneys in new homes at the same time the Federal Government was giving a tax credit for installing the most efficient and ultra low emission stoves
We cannot buy a new home with a fireplace in SD. I'm glad I have an older one.

Old 01-01-2013, 07:21 AM

675 posts, read 1,816,896 times
I asked one of my acquaintance, he just had the wood burning stove insert to the existing fireplace, it cost around 5K, they still used the old chimney but with new flue and exhaust pipe inside.

So we wonder if it's costly like that, will it worth for money saving? Besides the wood burning stove installation, we need to buy log splitter (if you can get fire wood free) and a place to season the wood, or buy ready fire wood (about $200/cord).

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House