Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 07:44 AM

8,070 posts, read 12,790,933 times

Advertisements

I am visiting my Mom and noticed the lights were flickering (breifly cutting off). I asked her about it and she said it had been doing it for quite a while.

Any ideas what could be causing it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2017, 08:41 AM

4,258 posts, read 3,178,135 times
All lights, some lights? How old is the house?

Old 08-06-2017, 08:48 AM

It is all the lights and the house was built in 1960.

Old 08-06-2017, 09:22 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,425,421 times
I recently went through this. Started suddenly after a storm, had the power company claim that "everything was fine" on their end but sent someone to test the drop to my house (which tested fine). Recommended I have an electrician out to inspect my breaker box, so I did and That was fine. A few weeks later I see them replacing the transformer that feeds my house and suddenly the issue was resolved. Guess everything wasn't "fine" on their end after all....

Anyway, mine was the whole house. Lights would dim randomly, didn't matter if it was incandescent, cfl or led. Happened at all times of the day, during nice weather and foul, I couldn't identify any trigger that would cause it to happen, be more frequent or get better/worse in any other way.

Old 08-06-2017, 11:52 AM

3,127 posts, read 5,057,812 times
We also had this happening. Talked to the neighbor and they had it to. The electric company looked at their network a few time and didn't find anything. The third crew they sent out changed something in the network (could have been the transformer) and all was well. They couldn't blame it on our houses because it was both of them.

Have your mom check with her neighbors and then call the electrical company.

Old 08-06-2017, 01:29 PM

471 posts, read 1,607,905 times
Not sure about the cause of the flickering issue*, but in my opinion if "flickering" means the electricity is quickly shutting fully on & off (rather than just dimming slightly) and doing that over an extended period, that might eventually damage certain sensitive electronic devices i.e. TVs, computers, cellphones hooked up to chargers, medical equipment, etc. Heck just dimming slightly over & over may cause problems too, so take my advice with a grain of salt!

Unfortunately, IMO the typical surge protector probably won't help protect such gear from that type of flickering because as far as I know, most surge protectors protect against abnormally large surges, like those that can be caused by nearby lightning strikes, rather than the normal-sized surges that I think can naturally occur when a device is first turned on.

I'm not trying to make you paranoid but personally if I lived there, I would unplug sensitive devices until they are needed. And I do mean unplug: many electronic devices nowadays use "soft touch" power switches that do not actually mechanically disconnect the device from the 120 volt power source.

* about 8 years ago our house - built in the late 70s - also began to have a flickering problem and I think low voltage issues - for example, the image on our TVs (tube-type TVs in this case) had visibly shrunken. A power company technician came out & discovered the ground rod for the house was malfunctioning (damaged? corroded? he didn't say) and they replaced it - problem solved.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 08-06-2017 at 11:25 PM..

Old 08-06-2017, 01:56 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,201,327 times
The OP can have an electrician check all the affected light circuits all the way back to the circuit breakers (or fuses, if that's the case). It means making sure that the light bulbs are good, and all connections are tight. Once that is done inside the house, then the problem may be caused by the power coming to the house. Also, keep in mind that back in the 60's it was very common to use aluminum wiring, and this material is prone to loose its points of contact (splices and such) in the circuit. Fuses were also very common back then. A loose contact can cause light flickering.

Old 08-06-2017, 02:08 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,360,489 times
I would have it checked immediately. An electrician or even a competent amateur can easily decide whether it is in the house or the electric system. If it is in the house you want to make sure you do not have some condition that is going to set the home on fire. That would not be an unusual outcome for certain circuit flaws. Bad connections generate heat and that can cause a fire.

Old 08-06-2017, 03:11 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,529,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
It is all the lights and the house was built in 1960.
Original wiring and electrical panel? Is it fuses or breakers?

Old 08-06-2017, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
Original wiring and electrical panel? Is it fuses or breakers?
The house has breakers. The wiring is original however there was an addition 30 years ago.

We are going to talk to the neighbors on Monday and Mom has an electrician she can call if needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House